• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's the lowest level pkmn possible to beat Red with?

Eusphyra

A friend and I were recently working on the pokedex, when he told me he had beaten Red with his team wich was around lv54~ 59, now, competetive as I am, I whipped up a sub50 team and beat Red's butt black and blue.

What I did was basically, have my lv45 Golem beat pikachu, then have lv47 Ampharos set up Light Screen and paralyze Espeon, have it faint, so I could switch in Scizor (lv48), 3x Swords Dance, 1x Agility, sweep everything up to Blastoise, then had to revive Ampharos and finish the job.

My complete team was:
Golem lv45
Scizor lv48
Poliwrath lv41
Typhlosion lv47
Ampharos lv47
Jynx lv44

The only Item I used was the Max Revive I used on Ampharos.
Now this got me curious, with what pkmn could I go even lower? has anybody else beaten Red with a team of such low level (or lower) pokemon? what do you think would be the lowest level possible to beat this joke of a pokemon trainer with?

Concept

Führer of Fun
I dunno. I've done it at similar levels to the OP with a mono-water team (with luck :p) so I reckon you could push it down to the low forties. Probably lower with a properly competitive, EV-trained team.

Psychic

Really and truly
If you guys hadn't noticed, this is Gold/Silver/Crystal. I don't know if you realize this, but Pokemon from the 3rd and 4th gen are not available in these games. All posts mentioning them have been deleted. :/

Also I never actually battled Red lol, so I have no idea. :p

~Psychic

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I think any Pokémon of any level can defeat Red with a good strategy and luck. You just have to experiment and see what works best.

Legend of Lucario

Songwriter
The lowest level that I have ever faced Red was with a full team at level 60.

I had Meganium, Crobat, Dragonite, Jynx, Kingler, and Snorlax.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
I think I've always done it with a team in the low to mid 50s, but given Red's less than ideal movesets on some monsters I'd say high 40s is good place to start.

G50

No longer posting
The lowest level that I could defeat Red was teams of Level 80+.

Eventually I stuck to just using level 100s

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I beat him with a team of level 70s before

Kalosian

So long
IIRC I beat him with a team at level 60-70 the first time I battled him. It's probably possible to beat him with a team at even lower levels, but I wouldn't recommend it.

GrimDeity

First time around I used Typhlosion, Snorlax, Scyther, Dragonair, Poliwrath, and togepi(used for flash on cave).
They were all, besides togepi, lvl. 49 and 50.
I used snorlax for pikachu and espeon, then for the others used poliwrath's hypnosis and typhlosions smokescreen so I could set up scyther swords dance sweep.

With a well selected team, lower levels should be able to beat him easy.

I used only my level 71 mewtwo and 72 ho-oh (and one random pokemon of any level to just fill their place while I healed them). I guess you could go lower, but this way I beat him on my first try and I didn't have to use sacred ash or more than two of my pokemon.

Last edited:

Fireath

I used Lv60s to beat him on my first attempt. But yeah, lower is possible.

And if the Focus Sash existed, all Level 1 FEARs still wouldn't be a good idea...Pikachu knew Quick Attack.

Edit: Just remembered FEAR wasn't possible 2nd gen... *Facepalms*

Last edited:
It takes 6 level 2 Pokemon and a bag full of revives, so you pp stall them out of all their pp and let them Struggle to their death. (while you Super fang with an evantual bred level 5 rattata when they use a non-damaging move)

silent_control

I managed to beat him with 2 Pokes ~ lv 60 and the others in the 50s. Snorlax was the pain... until I managed to clear his Rest, Body Slam PP. I guess that you might have a chance using 11wildy's strategy with bulky Pokemon ~ lv 30-40.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Technically you can beat him with a level 1 with a Focus Band and Leech Seed, but it'd take insane amounts of luck to do so. Shame Focus Sash doesn't exist in Gen II.

I remember beating Red with a team of level 40s a few years back.

I think the team was as follows-

Donphan
Typloshan
Piloswine
Ampharos
Kadabra
dewgong

I did sort of cheat by having tons of full heals, max potions and revives.. But come on, there was quite a level difference!

Fabulous Ampharos

Pokemon Breeder :3
Doesn't matter how low leveled you are.