• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's The Point In A Pokedex?

Platinum Piplup

Srs Shaymin is srs
Well, I know Pokemon isnt real and all that, but, I'm curious. You are given a Pokedex at the start of your journey and need to 'catch 'em all'. But, who puts in the entries? If nobody has ever encountered it before (like Deoxys, Mewtwo, etc) then how would their description, height, weight, gender differences, types and (most importantly) where they are found? Please dont be harsh, like 'well, its just a game and its a challenge you dumbass' ok? But please post opinions on this.

razor fire

It's a game. It explains itself.

Dante Falls

Doppelgänger
The Pokédex sends back information to Pokémon scientists/ professors for them to study. Then they update your Pokédex accordingly.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
I always thought it was implied you (Well, Red etc.) wrote the pokedex.

Hence why you only know certain things when you had a friendly enough pokemon to observe.

I don't see why Oak doesn't start compiling the results so as to make a remotely useful tool, but...

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
I figured the player wrote the entry, but that doesn't explain how they record it's weight, height, and most enigmatically, it's cry. However, if the player is the one who wrote the entry, thiat would explain why a Pokemon's entry is different between version titles.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I figured the player wrote the entry, but that doesn't explain how they record it's weight, height, and most enigmatically, it's cry.

Because when the player owned it, the Pokedex might have scanned the Pokemon's weight, height, and cry.

Cornchops

Team Bomba
I think the pokemon professors just give away pokedexes to waste trainers' time and get them out of their hair. That's why they always give you tips on how to find more pokemon, because they don't want to talk to you. They all sit around a table with their completed pokedexes partying and having a grand time laughing about how they conned all of us into completing pokedexes. Why else wouldn't at least the first 150 entries have been completed in each game? Professor Oak has made an appearance in almost every pokemon game where I'm sure he could update the pokedexes.

That professor oak is one sneaky guy.

pokemaster001

I think it's more for you getting the information then for them getting the information, but that's just me

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
The Pokedex scans the foe as soon as the battle starts, revealing all of it's statistics. Then it searches the internet to find any information or folklore about this creature, and creates an entry for it.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Anime Explanation:

In Kanto there's a Professor who's job it is to make entries for the Kanto Pokedex. Though it isn't explicitly stated the Professor or each Region makes the Regional Pokedex on local Pokemon that people who live in the region should know. The National Pokedex is made by combining data on each region. That's why the Pokedex entries for a lot of Pokemon may be basically the same, just worded different.

Of course the Anime National Pokedex doesn't have entries on even the entries that the National Pokedex as of Sinnoh has because some Pokemon (Mewtwo) haven't been discovered and confirmed. I believe Deoxys does have an entry in the Anime so someone has gotten close enough to make an entry.

From a Games standpoint when a Pokemon is captured the player might bring them by the lab for the Professor to observe and make an entry proper for if they need to. You get the entry instantly because it'll be a pain to have to go back for every Legendary Pokemon you catch and have them input the data.

The Pokedex also serves other functions that aren't commonly seen.

The Pokedex acts as a means of identification for the Pokemon Trainer.

For some Pokemon it seems the Pokedex has behavioral data that'll help a Trainer decipher their Pokemon's daily routine.

The Pokedex also calculates a Pokemon's current Level and stats tells you what Attacks they know. The Status Screen? That'd be the Pokedex's doing.

Miaquamarine

Yeah, I've also been curious about the Pokedex concept, though I usually assumed
that the player them self wrote the entries... You know, since the entries on the
Pokemon only appear when you have previously/currently own that Pokemon, so, it would make
pretty good sense that the Trainer would have the chance to record height, weight, cry, etc.
I bet they would be able to do so at a Pokemon Center, because (at least I've always thought this),
at the Centers, I'm sure it's just like a doctor's office, so they would have a scale and such
for measuring everything, and then the Trainer would probably get some chance to record the cry... So.

I guess in "Pokemon reality", recording data in the Pokedex is actually more complicated
than they make it appear in the game.
Yeah. I think that's a good explanation. C:​

Nebbio

NINJA!
As razor fire said, it's a game.

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
an00bis pretty much summed everything up. The player entering the entries is also a reasonable hypothesis.

Also, the pokédex could be only for the trainer's benefit. The professors might have complete data on every pokemon, but the pokedex is just there to entice the trainer to further see and learn about the various species.

TeraDyne

Pocket Monsters Fan
Also, the pokédex could be only for the trainer's benefit. The professors might have complete data on every pokemon, but the pokedex is just there to entice the trainer to further see and learn about the various species.

This is the best explanation I've seen so far. It makes perfect sense to give trainers a major goal to shoot for aside from becoming the champion, and I'm pretty sure that a complete Pokédex is something that would keep them going for a long time.

I just wish they would give the trainer a better prize for completing it, like (an) extra Master Ball(s) or access to a more complex Pokédex (think in-game Player's Guide). If they can complete the dex, surely they could be entrusted with more knowledge (upgraded Pokédex) or power (Master Balls). It would definitely make the Pokédex quest worth the time.

Fataal

Lone Archetype
the pokedex is a super computer that scans pokemon, records their cry, measures their weight, height etc. Then based on type, appearance and other things it assumes other areas. In the case of legendaries I'm sure it just relates what it scans to pokemon myths and legends embedded into its core system. On the case of Mewtwo, its possible that at least one of the evil scientist passed on their findings before the first Pokedex was created since in RBY era it was a relatively new technology.

elephantdog

ÜberlegenDeLeuteHier
"Dialga, get on the scale so I can weigh you." (o_O)

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Because you were forced to by crazy old people who won't let you take your starter unless you go and take information from creatures and bring it back to the crazy old people to feed their hunger for information.

'nuff said.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I doubt the player writes the dex.

Because if he did, some of the entries are just plain creepy.

Shellder: "It's shell is diamond hard, but the inside is surprisingly soft".

If the player wrote that, I wonder how they found out...

Anyway, the game itself states that the Pokedex is a high-tech encyclopedia.

Last edited: