• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's The Point In A Pokedex?

Boyscout

Automatic pownage
I doubt a ten - eleven year old, no matter how intellegent and dedicated, would know certain things about certain Pokemon. I presume you hear about it from places, such as how you know about those legends, etc.

I presume you, the protagonist, writes the entries, and figures out the location. You are the regions professors helper, after all.

The Pokedex probably scans Pokemon, to tell their weight, height, etc., and records their cries.
I believe in some pokemon movies/episodes Ash says the quoted, "What's that" Then before he catches it, it says data on that pokemon.

I never really understood the whole "discovery of new pokemon" thing and how there are new pokedexes for each region. Doesn't the region's populace already know about these "new pokemon?" It's as if a whole new region is discovered along with its people as well.

Also, I agree that the trainer with the pokedex defininitely DOES NOT write in the entries. Some of the entries are just plain silly, such as our lovely Shellder example. Here's another one (for Banette): A doll that became a Pokemon over its grudge from being junked. It seeks the child that disowns it.
Unless the trainer was the kid that disowned the doll, there is no way anyone could've known that. Really, the pokedex is just to remind players that there are about 300 more pokemon in existence than the 100-something that's in whatever region's pokedex they have right now. The entries are more story-like than scientific. Gee whiz, Professor Rowan.

Squirtle102

The Best Squirtle102
It makes the game more interesting. In the games the professors rely on you to fill up the Pokedex. It makes the game a little more challenging, like in Leaf Green professor Oak's Aides was giving you items for the amount of Pokemon in your Pokedex. It just makes sense.

coyt77

the pokedex is there so that you get a star when you really complete it all. the pokedex is also there to give you information about the pokemon and where they are located in the game that you are playing. the pokedex may seem useless if you are brand new to the game but once you have it filled you can look up what # a pokemon is so that you can recall a certain pokemon at a moments notice. the pokedex on the games don't give you all the information on the pokemon but the ones on the series give you more information. having a pokedex is a good thing if you think about it.;492-s;

Platinum Piplup

Srs Shaymin is srs
I doubt the player writes the dex.

Because if he did, some of the entries are just plain creepy.

Shellder: "It's shell is diamond hard, but the inside is surprisingly tough".

If the player wrote that, I wonder how they found out...

Anyway, the game itself states that the Pokedex is a high-tech encyclopedia.

Yeah, there's also Cherubi...
'The small ball holds the nutrients needed for evolution. Apparently, it is very sweet and tasty.' Imagine...
"Yeah Cherubi you're mine! Mm...I'm kinda hungry...how about that small ball you need to evolve? That looks tasty..."

Firebrand

Indomitable
I think the hieght and weight are self-explanatory, when you scan the pokemon, it just regestered. For the data... it's magic. Or maybe the pokemon tell you?

Boyscout

Automatic pownage
Why we need a pokedex.

When we started the game, I believe the first goal was to fill up the pokedex, so why does fighting pokemon seem to come before catching them.
I just thought; Why would oak height and weight of a pokemon? You don't struggle picking up a 1505.7 pound Dialga in a pokeball.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
For one, click the post button once.

For two, pokeballs digitally convert Pokemon into data. Data doesn't weigh much.

For three, knowing height and weight is a lot more useful then you think.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
The pokedex tells the player where a pokemon can be found, which is very important, at least to me.

Grei

not the color
I think it could be a mixture of data that was scanned for over the internet (which would house files on Pokemon, no?) and data the player inputs.

That would explain the entries that refer to myths and other things the player wouldn't normally know--it's the player's observation mixed with research. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense for the Professors to want you to go out and discover all of the regional Pokemon--they obviously cannot know everything about Pokemon.

In the introduction, the professors say, "We live in harmony with these creatures, but we do not know everything about Pokemon." Maybe they have files on different Pokemon that people have made up, but otherwise, they have nothing, so they want somebody to go out and compile it all with the Pokedex.

The physical measurements of the Pokemon would just be scanned by the Pokedex.

Boyscout

Automatic pownage
This sounds crazy, but it seems that the pokemon themselves wrote their entries. For example, here's Riolu!: It has the peculiar power of being able to see emotions such as joy and rage in the form of waves. You could know that by: 1. Being the pokemon. or 2. Reading the pokemon's mind.
Ash and Gary I believe were the first people, other than Oak, to have a pokedex. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So does Gary read minds?

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
This sounds crazy, but it seems that the pokemon themselves wrote their entries. For example, here's Riolu!: It has the peculiar power of being able to see emotions such as joy and rage in the form of waves. You could know that by: 1. Being the pokemon. or 2. Reading the pokemon's mind.
Ash and Gary I believe were the first people, other than Oak, to have a pokedex. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So does Gary read minds?

Or maybe, you know, they just

A) make that logical conclusion since Riolu is able to use Aura (accordingly) and thus they can have an aura master communicate with them.

B) made that up.

kingferret53

A duel well fought..
I think the pokemon professors just give away pokedexes to waste trainers' time and get them out of their hair. That's why they always give you tips on how to find more pokemon, because they don't want to talk to you. They all sit around a table with their completed pokedexes partying and having a grand time laughing about how they conned all of us into completing pokedexes. Why else wouldn't at least the first 150 entries have been completed in each game? Professor Oak has made an appearance in almost every pokemon game where I'm sure he could update the pokedexes.

That professor oak is one sneaky guy.

:O I always knew there was something fishy about that!

Anime Explanation:

In Kanto there's a Professor who's job it is to make entries for the Kanto Pokedex. Though it isn't explicitly stated the Professor or each Region makes the Regional Pokedex on local Pokemon that people who live in the region should know. The National Pokedex is made by combining data on each region. That's why the Pokedex entries for a lot of Pokemon may be basically the same, just worded different.

Of course the Anime National Pokedex doesn't have entries on even the entries that the National Pokedex as of Sinnoh has because some Pokemon (Mewtwo) haven't been discovered and confirmed. I believe Deoxys does have an entry in the Anime so someone has gotten close enough to make an entry.

From a Games standpoint when a Pokemon is captured the player might bring them by the lab for the Professor to observe and make an entry proper for if they need to. You get the entry instantly because it'll be a pain to have to go back for every Legendary Pokemon you catch and have them input the data.

The Pokedex also serves other functions that aren't commonly seen.

The Pokedex acts as a means of identification for the Pokemon Trainer.

For some Pokemon it seems the Pokedex has behavioral data that'll help a Trainer decipher their Pokemon's daily routine.

The Pokedex also calculates a Pokemon's current Level and stats tells you what Attacks they know. The Status Screen? That'd be the Pokedex's doing.

That is what I've always thought, that it served as an ID card and to help trainers...well, train.

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk
The Pokedex scans the foe as soon as the battle starts, revealing all of it's statistics. Then it searches the internet to find any information or folklore about this creature, and creates an entry for it.

This makes the most sence to me.

Boyscout

Automatic pownage
The Pokedex scans the foe as soon as the battle starts, revealing all of it's statistics. Then it searches the internet to find any information or folklore about this creature, and creates an entry for it.
If that were the case, couldn't the pokedex do that by itself before the trainer encounters the pokemon?

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
If that were the case, couldn't the pokedex do that by itself before the trainer encounters the pokemon?

They probably need to have the pokemon stand still; hence the scanning after you catch it.