• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's the Point in These Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought these gams, but I really don't understand the point in them. I don't ever really play it, and my Alpha Sapphire is unopened. I have the following Pokémon Games, as far as main series RPG compatible games (US version unless specified otherwise)

Pokémon Ruby
Pokémon Sapphire
Pokémon Fire Red
Pokémon Leaf Green
Pokémon Emerald
Pokémon Colosseum
Pokémon Colosseum (JAP)
Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disc
Pokémon Colosseum Bonus Disc (JAP)
Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness
Pokémon Box (JAP)
Pokémon Pearl
Pokémon Diamond
Pokémon Ranch
Pokémon Black
Pokémon White
Pokémon X
Pokémon Y
Pokémon Bank
Pokémon Omega Ruby
Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

I am missing
Pokémon Channel
Pokémon Heart Gold
Pokémon Soul Silver
Pokémon Black 2
Pokémon White 2

I had started playing a while back but quit after Diamond and Pearl due to school work, but got back into it once X and Y came out. I managed to catch all of the Pokémon except for

Generation 4 event only minus manaphy and the other blue dude gotten from Pokémon Ranch and that pokemon ranger game for NDS that I don't own but played through to get the egg, guess these guys aren't really event only, but people claim that they are lol, people also claim celebi and jirachi are event only but they aren't lol, I also got mew from pokemon ranch, which people also claim is event only lol

Generation 5 event only

Generation 6 event only minus Diannce

So I was able to catch all of the other pokemon by myself without trading with anybody except myself =). I also was able to get all the forms of all the pokmeon to. All the pokemon that had multiple forms, I collected multiples of the same pokemon. So like I got two Girantina (the mascot of platinum) and gave it the hold item so in the box I have both forms of him. I did this with the other peokemon that had different forms. I had obtained Deoxys from the GS event in 2008 before I quit playing pokemon for a few years until X and Y came out

I see no point in getting the games I'm missing because they give me no pokemon that I don't already have. I'm regretting spending money on omega ruby and alpha sapphire because they give me no new pokemon that I didn't already have. LOL at the trailer for these games claiming Rayquaza wad debuted in these games lolz.

So omega ruby, alpha sapphire, heart gold, soul silver, black 2, white 2 all seem like a waste of money to me. And if the only new thing in XY & Z is the new forms of the green guy, than that may be a waste as it will most likely be available in later games like the fusions in black 2 and white 2 are to this day.

Discuss at will =)

Also I skipped the wii pokemon game that gives you surfing pichu, I don't have this game and don't see the point in it either because you can't transfer it to the later generations with surf =(

Last edited by a moderator:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
So what's the point in buying them in the first place anyway?

If you're new to the series and just aims to get every Pokemon currently available (bar some event Legends), XY and ORAS alone will give you that. Besides, events have expired for non-Gen 6 games.

Also, if you really want all Pokemon forms, you'd want ORAS because it has all the latest Mega Evolutions and methods for changing formes:

- Change Deoxys' formes at Fallarbor
- Change Rotom's formes at Littleroot
- Gracidea for Shaymin is obtainable at Route 123
- Change the Kami Trio's formes into Therian at Mauville
- The DNA Splicers are a hidden item where you fight Kyurem (Gnarled Den - Mirage Spot)
- Teach Keldeo Sacred Sword and Meloetta Relic Song at Mauville
- Obtain Griseous orb hidden underwater at Route 130 for Giratina's Origin Forme
- Genesect's Drives are given by a person at Mauville
- Arceus Plates are scattered all over Hoenn
- Catch a Zen Mode (HA) Darmanitan through DexNav at a Mirage Spot
- Change Cosplay Pikachus at Contest Halls
- Change Furfrou trims at Slateport
- Catch Unown and all its forms at a Mirage Spot

However some forms are only obtainable on some games:

- Both Basculin forms are found in XY through fishing
- Flabébé, Floette, and Florges colors are exclusive to XY
- Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist sizes are exclusive to XY
- Seasonal forms of Deerling & Sawsbuck are exclusive to Gen 5
- Shellos & Gastrodon forms are exclusive to DPPt

If you're after the plot, then just pick one game that represent each Gen:

- FireRed OR LeafGreen for Gen 1
- HeartGold OR SoulSilver for Gen 2
- OmegaRuby OR AlphaSapphire for Gen 3 plot... Or grab Emerald
- Platinum for Gen 4
- Black and Black 2 OR White and White 2 for Gen 5 since they're a continuous storyline
- Wait for the inevitable third version of XY

but see that's why I wonder what's the point in in third version of x and y if we already have all the pokemon available to us in generation 6? I dread that it's going to be like black 2 and white 2, giving us only new forms, and no new pokemon that we don't already have in the generation. I mean at least black 2, white 2 offered us the ability to complete the pokedex with pokemon not available in black 2 and white 2. But the third version of x and y can't even offer us that because ruby and sapphire already did that for us, especially with lots of legendary pokemon. I'm scared that the third version won't offer us anything not already offered in generation six besides new forms :( what do you think?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The point is that it's a new Pokemon game, and an excuse to go on another adventure. If you're a fan of the series than that should be enough. If you don't think that that's enough, then maybe you shouldn't be playing the games in the first place.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I see. You fear the lack of new Pokemon in the next game.
But there's still Volcanion, and who knows how many Mega Evolutions they're going to throw us at the next game.

Also, it's not just about the Pokemon you find. Don't forget that they can give us new areas, features and gameplay mechanics which may be exclusive to the game.

For me, it's all about exploration. Sure, finding new Pokemon is fun, but that only really matters on the start of every generation.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I didn't like how we can get all non-event pokemon between the current four games. It left Z with no pokemon you can transfer to ORAS that you haven't got in the current 4 games of gen 6. I know Pokemon is more than just catching but I would have like to see some pokemon saved for Z version. ORAS kind of made the next game pointless by containing the remaining non-event pokemon.

Alpha/Omega ruby has the breeding loop, unlike other generations you can multitask better while breeding, also if you don't have HG/SS you are missing out on some exclusive movesets and apricorn ball pokemon o_o

Paralititan

The point is a new game, with a new adventure. Maybe a new or expanded story, expanded region. New side quests or whatever. New mega's or other formes.

TBH, if you only play the games to collect all the pokemon and then don't see the point of new games anymore unless there are new pokemon, I'm not sure why even play in the first place? Some weird urge to collect stuff?

The point of why the games were made was to let people get a second chance to experience Hoenn. Both to fuel the nostalgia of older fans and to to give newer players the chance that never got to experience it in the first place. This is pretty much the point of any game remake.
There is more to Pokémon than to just fill up the pokédex, although it is one of the most important aspects for many players(personally I find it the most fun part of the games, but I also really like exploring in the games in general) That said, remakes aren't for everybody, and if you need a completely new experience then ORAS might not be the right game for you.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I got over the nostalgia pandering weeks before OR/AS came out and I only got the games so that I could start a new adventure. And frankly, I quite enjoyed myself just by playing for fun.

PearlDex

Like others said, I get excited for the adventure. The POINT of the games is for Game Freak and Nintendo to make giant piles of money. The point for the player, though, is being able to keep all your pokemon and items but go on a new adventure. I often play through one version of the games and if I have something like a long plain flight or anything, I'll purchase the second game to occupy me. The plot is the same, but the adventure is always slightly different. The pokemon you pick, etc.

I've also got every Pokemon in both genders (except where not applicable) and every form. Some collections don't stop at "catching them all." If you don't see a point in playing them, nobody can make you.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Like what most people said, the point that I see is that since it was almost 10 years since Emerald was released, people would had been missing out on Hoenn for a particularly long time, so Game Freak had to find a way for us to get back into Hoenn by introducing ORAS.

TrainerSam

I have pokeballs
The real question is why are you posting this and why are you asking what the point of the games are if below it says youre trying to collect all the pokemon?

You should really word this better because im confused.

You dont know why you bought the games? Thats a bit weird to ask, especially if youre a pokemon fan.

Youre also missing blue, red, and yellow. And if you love pokemon, youre also missing japanese green version.

Perfect Zygarde

but see that's why I wonder what's the point in in third version of x and y if we already have all the pokemon available to us in generation 6? I dread that it's going to be like black 2 and white 2, giving us only new forms, and no new pokemon that we don't already have in the generation. I mean at least black 2, white 2 offered us the ability to complete the pokedex with pokemon not available in black 2 and white 2. But the third version of x and y can't even offer us that because ruby and sapphire already did that for us, especially with lots of legendary pokemon. I'm scared that the third version won't offer us anything not already offered in generation six besides new forms :( what do you think?

With that logic there isn't any point in buying any new videogame that doesn't introduce new characters to the series it's from.

Cerex

The idea that the only reason there should be new Pokemon games is to make new or old Pokemon available to catch I think misses the point. The appeal for remakes maybe initially to fix the fact that GameFreak wanted to refresh the series completely in Gen III and fans did not react how they expected, and so they brought back Gen I; however, since then the appeal of remakes has been to revisit previous regions and the characters, both with expanded features, updated technology, but also updated roster of Pokemon. For example there weren't many ice types available for Glacia in Gen III; however, now three generations later there have been new ice type introduced, and so a remake allows players to see what some of their former NPC would be like if they had access to different Pokemon and moves which they just didn't have back in.

I'm one of those folks that want GameFreak to ultimately remake every region, because I love to see what they could have done with the new technology that developed. It should prevent them from bringing in new regions and characters, but their model of expanding and revisiting seems to work.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan

I know how you feel. ORAS prevented any chance of new pokemon in the next games. Chances are we not going to see new pokemon and we stuck with a pointless new game with new mega/primal/alternate forms.

I see. You fear the lack of new Pokemon in the next game.
But there's still Volcanion, and who knows how many Mega Evolutions they're going to throw us at the next game.

Also, it's not just about the Pokemon you find. Don't forget that they can give us new areas, features and gameplay mechanics which may be exclusive to the game.

For me, it's all about exploration. Sure, finding new Pokemon is fun, but that only really matters on the start of every generation.

You can't transfer new mega evolutions, primal reversions or forms to previous games though. I would have like to transfer at least one new pokemon to my other gen 6 games but ORAS had took that away.

Paralititan

I honestly don't get why some people think the only point is to catch new Pokemon. Is it some pathological urge to just collect or something?

The point of the next game is to enjoy it. There are many more thing to enjoy than just catching Pokemon.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
You can't transfer new mega evolutions, primal reversions or forms to previous games though. I would have like to transfer at least one new pokemon to my other gen 6 games but ORAS had took that away.

Pokemon that get new forms were never backwards-compatible since Gen 3.

- You can only have Deoxys' Normal Forme in RS, Attack Forme in FireRed, Defense Forme in LeafGreen, Speed Forme in Emerald.
- Giratina's Origin Forme, Shaymin's Sky Forme and Rotom's Forms are unobtainable in Diamond and Pearl.
- Kami Trio Therian Forme, Keldeo's Resolute Forme and Kyurem Formes are unobtainable in Black and White.
- Primal Reversions, Hoopa Unbound, and Megas introduced in ORAS are unobtainable in XY.

So, by logic, Zygarde's new formes, Megas, or any other new forms in introduced in Z will not be backwards-compatible with XY and ORAS. So don't expect them to update the previous games for the heck of compatibility.

If you're a completionist, you would want to buy the latest version. "Want this forme? Buy the new game!"
It's a continuous cycle. It's a marketing strategy.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
The point of this game that its meant to be played thats why its called a game.

I bought it coz duhh its pokemon. It took me months to finish it as I played ruby a lot that I can complete it in less than 6-8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.