• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's the Point in These Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1234

Trainer Since '98
The point is to have fun.
I didn't play HG/SS very much when it first came out, but I beat SS a few months ago and I was glad that I did. Also, BW2 had one of the best stories in all the Pokémon games. It is your decision if you play these games, but I really enjoyed them and I think you will too.

kill and run

ShinyHunting Veteran
The point is that it's a new Pokemon game, and an excuse to go on another adventure. If you're a fan of the series than that should be enough. If you don't think that that's enough, then maybe you shouldn't be playing the games in the first place.

Right? I mean, the only point I can see is owning all the other games, and not the 3ds ones and you pretty much can't do **** with them....

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
if the only reason you're playing the games is for a full pokedex then 1. you're doing it wrong and 2. there are so many other things to play the games for.
If you wanted a complete pokedex all you'd need was XY and ORAS, not to mention you really only need one of both sets since you can easily trade the exclusives with people online.
Exploring and adventure is what pokemon is about; each game has its own story and region. the ORAS plotlines are pretty different besides the same general concept (bad guys, bad guys take pokemon, etc.) I'd agree with the person who mentioned the definitive experience for each generation- it's always good to experience each series at its best. but if all you want is a full pokedex then just wait for generation 7.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
A lot of people have already posted what I'm about to, but really it's about the experience.

I'll use ORAS as the example since that seems to be where the crux of the concern is in the OP. Yes, we received MOST of the Pokémon at this point, with the exception of some of those missing event legendaries and Volcanion. But the there's abilities that we still haven't seen yet, such as Kalos acceptable Kabutos with Weak Armor. I know they can be received from the 5th Gen carts then bred-out, but for VGC purposes they still aren't valid Kalos region Pokémon because the hidden ability hasn't been released in XY or ORAS. Along those lines, we ALWAYS get new moves on existing Pokémon with each installment, whether it's via level-up, breeding, event or move tutors. So there's that for the competitive players.

For the aesthetics, new carts means new animations. In ORAS, most Pokémon now have an entrance animation they did not process before in XY. I also believe some Pokémon received additional animations, some even received slight changes in their polygons. New move animations are always something to look forward to. My favorite analogy is Outrage in B2W2 compared to it's predecessor. Simply sick!

And then there's story. We already know Zygarde is getting the exclusive treatment, and we know there's something about that special Floette we've yet to receive, Volcanion is still MIA, so naturally there's going to be additional story arcs in the third entry. Then there's the lack of story concerning the Mega Stones, which many people are still hoping get a fuller explanation in the third installment.

So there's a multitude of reasons. You can pick any of them, all of them, or none of them. But really it's just going to be that; your personal experience.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm sure the main point of the games was for Nintendo to make money and for players to have fun and for me especially these games made it easier to get several pokemon which pleased me. :)

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
These games should make it easier for you to catch 'em all, which is the original moto of Pokémon. Now, you can help to become competitive and what not.

Kazai

I play all the games because I enjoy playing through the story. I buy each version because I like to have one main game that I never restart. I want to play every pokemon game because I love the adventure and RPG aspect. On a separate note I enjoy competitive battling.

Gutsman

Indigo Champion
There are a lot of reasons to purchase ORAS. It's not just about having every Pokemon and being done. Not only are these games remakes of classic games from over ten years ago (better in my opinion-- I wasn't fond of the originals RSE but all around the quality of these games is great. I'm almost 23 and I still get great joy from these games. Like I said, there's more than just catching every Pokemon.

Bananarama

The light is coming
The number one point of the these games, like any other video game ever created, is to make the developers money. They don't do this for free, y'know.

Also, they most likely wanted to feed the nostalgia of older gamers, which they seem to be doing more often lately.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I personally feel the worst thing a person can do with Pokémon is complete the PokéDex. As I've noticed in the past, it leaves players feeling hollow and overdone. For me, it seems counterproductive to have every pokemon, especially since there is no actual incentive to obtaining them all.

One of the best things about Pokémon for me is always coming across ones I have yet to see (not so much new pokemon, but merely those that have not shown up in my PokéDex). It allows me to continue the gameplay and even create my own journeys, since there is still more to discover. Completion is boring. That's my thesis.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Noglastia was a very big factor; gen 3 wasn't my favorite but man was it fun to see them re imagined and brought into modern times. I also enjoyed what they did with the main plot and the characters within it, they updated them incredibly well and proved that even when GF wants to stay light hearted, they can still make nice heartwarming stories and characterized villains. Delta episode was also unique, but I'm less proud of it for... other reasons.

I still feel like ORAS lacks content I'd preference though. Which really hampers on its replayability for me, but the point is to just have fun so I'm okay with a onetime run, even if i wish i got more.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Noglastia was a very big factor; gen 3 wasn't my favorite but man was it fun to see them re imagined and brought into modern times. I also enjoyed what they did with the main plot and the characters within it, they updated them incredibly well and proved that even when GF wants to stay light hearted, they can still make nice heartwarming stories and characterized villains. Delta episode was also unique, but I'm less proud of it for... other reasons.

I still feel like ORAS lacks content I'd preference though. Which really hampers on its replayability for me, but the point is to just have fun so I'm okay with a onetime run, even if i wish i got more.

Interesting, I'm currently on my third ORAS run.

My only gripe about ORAS is having to wait until my third gym badge to obtain Secret Power, since I design a gym in every run.

Being able to create gyms has been the main focus for me in ORAS, as I had always wanted to be a gym leader in the games. In addition, I also enjoy traveling to the various Mirage Spots, especially since I always come across some I've never seen before, with run I do.

Still, I have heard from quite a few people that ORAS lacks replay value. While I will disagree, I will also say its replay value is not as high as some previous installments.

brilly

if the only reason you're playing the games is for a full pokedex then 1. you're doing it wrong and 2. there are so many other things to play the games for.
If you wanted a complete pokedex all you'd need was XY and ORAS, not to mention you really only need one of both sets since you can easily trade the exclusives with people online.
Exploring and adventure is what pokemon is about; each game has its own story and region. the ORAS plotlines are pretty different besides the same general concept (bad guys, bad guys take pokemon, etc.) I'd agree with the person who mentioned the definitive experience for each generation- it's always good to experience each series at its best. but if all you want is a full pokedex then just wait for generation 7.

make your words mine.

Also, as others said, RSE is a really outdated game, the pacing is terrible, someone would just play that because of nostalgia. There was demand to the remakes, new storylines, new megas, better graphs, moves and forms that are compatible and others facilities.

You can't transfer new mega evolutions, primal reversions or forms to previous games though. I would have like to transfer at least one new pokemon to my other gen 6 games but ORAS had took that away.

Probably Z will correct it.

Dragom master Tryce

I mean, before I can say whether there is a point in your trying the new games, I need to know what YOU plan to get out of them. If the only thing you want from the games is to complete the pokedex (Which people seem aggressively opposed to on the whole, but to each their own I say), and you have already achieved this, then no, there's no point in your getting the new games, because you've already accomplished that goal. However, to many, a new game is a chance for a new adventure; a new region, new story, new team, new experiences. What I find brilliant about Pokemon as a whole is how you're given a world, and a concept, and allowed to go free (maybe not as free as I'd like, but alas; these are the limits we endure for balanced gameplay). There isn't really A point to a Pokemon game, there's a concept,and then there's what you do with it...

SoraPrince

Little Brother
the point is to personally enjoy the games

Status
Not open for further replies.