• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's the point of Bolt-Beaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Because not only will you be able to zap them, you'll be able to freeze them!

Combine that with Surf, and you've got a win-win-win on your hands.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Bolt-Beam provides awesome type coverage!

The combination hits the following types for AT LEAST neutral damage (sometimes super effective): Bug, Rock, Ground, Steel, Poison, Flying, Grass, Ice, Water, Electric, Fire, Dragon, Normal, Fighting, Dark, Ghost, Psychic.

That's every single type. (correct me if I 'm wrong here...)

cloudk

hates you.
^Obviously you're totally forgetting about dual typings.
Lanturn, the magnemite line and shedinja resists the boltbeam combination.

Chagen46

Hell Crasher
^Obviously you're totally forgetting about dual typings.
Lanturn, the magnemite line and shedinja resists the boltbeam combination.

Yeah, but who uses Shedinja or Lanturn?

daniel741

Boltbeaming is a big deal because its good to use in battle...

Alloute

Not Banned
Bolt-Beaming is an interesting strategy.

I certainly see why people would use it, I myself prefer head-on attacks like Ice Beam and Thunderbolt.

Validus

Pretty simple question.. kinda wonder why it's not closed yet...

Type coverage is important, and Ice beam is beautiful too. (not that it matters)

Bolt-Beaming is an interesting strategy.

I certainly see why people would use it, I myself prefer head-on attacks like Ice Beam and Thunderbolt.

you confuse me to no end...

Firebrand

Indomitable
Honestly, I've been Bolt-beaming for years now. There's really no combo, but both are solid powerful moves with good accuracy. And they can exploit multiple weaknesses.

superkal388

Kanto SuperTrainer
no team is complete w/o both of these moves lol

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
The point of BoltBeam (having both Thunderbolt and Ice Beam on one Pokémon) is that besides being powerful and accurate moves in their own right, they offer great type coverage, particularly against a lot of popular Pokémon. For example, almost all Dragon-types have glaring Ice weaknesses, the commonly-used Water and Flying types are weak to Electric (and Flying is also weak to Ice), and so on. The physical combination of Thunderpunch and Ice Punch works similarly.

Personally, the two Pokémon that I use the most in serious battling have BoltBeam and the Thunder-Ice punches, and they serve me incredibly well.

Last edited:

Witch of 'Cos

i love the pee pees
Dragon/Fire SHOULD have perfect neutral coverage.

The only thing stopping it is the ability "Flash Fire"

Lucariofan-atic

avant ǝpɹɐƃ painter☆
Bolt-Beaming is like a great strategy for battles.

I have bolt-beaming for years, beside the moves (like ice beam, thunderbolt, etc) are have good accuracy, it also have a nice damage.

Plus, it can result in status damage such as freeze, etc, and it has awesome type coverages.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Two moves that have a respectable amount of power, and great accuracy. Having the two of them on a moveset provides a large amount of type coverage, which is a good thing. The only pokemon I can think of that resists both Ice and Electric-type moves is the Magnezone family.

Last edited:

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
Plus Lanturn, but, you know, Lanturn sucks.

Wait, this thread is just going round in circles now. :s

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Plus Lanturn, but, you know, Lanturn sucks.

Wait, this thread is just going round in circles now. :s

WAAAT?

My heart just stopped for a second - Lanturn - Sucking? ABABAGOOBY.

*deep breath*

This is going to end up going off-topic, so I'll just stop it right there.

*coughlanturnissuperspecialawesomeatspecialwallingandhasgreatresistancesandaccesstovoltabsorbmakingitveryusefulinouplaycough*

Tadashi

kiss my greens
The point? Purely for coverage.

Hitting all 17 types for at least neutral damage is nothing to scoff at. (Discounting Dual Types and certain Abilities, of course.) It's bloody brilliant! How great is it that two move-types can score all-around coverage? Can't get much better, if you ask me.

Thread. End of.

Status
Not open for further replies.