• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's up with the gloves?

Rave

Banned
Why does Sonic, Bugs Bunny and other cartoon characters wear gloves?

Honestly... I really don't know. They're just added on there.

cascade88

< go ask alice >
If they're sword weilders, perhaps it has to do with hand-protection, if that makes sense. In any other case, gloves just look cool.

Gloves seem to be... traditional in animation, especially if it's anime, or if the main characters are animals.

Mickey Mouse was probably just the style of the day, if you notice all the Mickey Mouse characters wear gloves.

Donald wears gloves?

Why does Sonic, Bugs Bunny and other cartoon characters wear gloves?

Honestly... I really don't know. They're just added on there.

My guess is that people complained that they were naked, so gloves (And shoes) were used for a loophole.

*While examining his hands* Does anyone know why we're always like... wearing gloves?

Last edited:

Cobalt_Latios

--doesn't wear gloves. :|
He's Superman, that's why!

Donald wears gloves?
Nope.

My guess is that people complained that they were naked, so gloves (And shoes) were used for a loophole.
Or to give them more human attributes.

I also think gloves are there for grip and to protect the hands from the punches themselves. Think about it.

*C_L*

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
Well, Mario and Luigi need gloves. They throw Fireballs and it would burn their hands if they had no gloves on.
Speaking of them, why the hats and the overalls? And why DOES Link wear that hat? And why does Snake tie that i-don't-know-what-it's-called around his head? And Marth's tiara? Well, I guess Marth's a prince, but...

I dunno, I guess they're all just something to define that hero. And to help hold their swords, of course.

Tabby Catty

Courtney loves Ruby
That-I-Don't-Know-What-it's-Called is a headband and it's basically for the sake of coolness or to keep the hair out of his eyes.

Also, why do some female fighters wear skimpy clothes? I know for fanservice, but is there any practicality? I once read this manga called Dragon Half and almost all of the female characters wore skimpy clothing and I'm like "Don't you think that is just a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen?"

Also, buruma, like the anime girls wear for gym that look like swimsuit bottoms, they apparently make it easier to move, but they look like you are going to get a wedgie from those and shorts are no easier to move in than those things. I mean, the guys wear shorts? Why can't the girls do so? How sexist?

Also, schoolgirls, for crying out loud, WEAR SHORTS UNDER YOUR SKIRTS! Why don't you? Are the skirts to short? If so, then you have a probelm you need to address to the school.

Profesco

gone gently
Lol, if we were using the rep system, I'd be "pos" -ing a lot of posts in here. XP

Maybe all of these cartoon characters have hygiene regimens that require protection of the hands? And maybe capes are there because the cape-wearer never could get over their childhood attachment to the security blanket. I mean, Superman and Batman do have some security/trust issues, after all, amirite? :p

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
Hmmm. An OCD Bugs Bunny? Well, Bugs doesn't throw fireballs so that could work. And the security blanket is quite creative. Good idea.

joker0187

my rolfcopter goes..
anyone wearing white gloves are trying to imitate the gangsta era gun wielding coke sniffing michael jackson from 1985

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I always thought it was just to make them look cool, and I reckon it does. I wanna wear some black gloves as well, if Cynthia wore gloves (I know you are talking about hereos but they aren't the only ones who wear them and cartoons/animes aren't the only ones either) I think she would be even more hot. I don't know but with certain outfits I think fingerless or other gloves (Mostly black) look awesome. And for those who actually fight with hands I presume it's so it doesn't hurt as much.

If you think about it why does anyone wear long black leather boots or fingerless glovers or trenchcoats (Like Spike/Angel in Buffy, I thnk Spike wore it to look badass, Angel doesn't always thought) etc, it's so they can look cool and pretty much hot and badass.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Well, Mario and Luigi need gloves. They throw Fireballs and it would burn their hands if they had no gloves on.

the gloves of the mario bros arn't very fireproof, in reality if they would have used a fireball they would sustain serious firewounds on their hands because their gloves catch fire.

rough leather that's what protects you from things like that, it won't hold on forever but it's favored by people who work with fire for hundreds if not thousends of years.

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
the gloves of the mario bros arn't very fireproof, in reality if they would have used a fireball they would sustain serious firewounds on their hands because their gloves catch fire.
But the gloves don't catch fire. Ever. So it must work. So it must be completely fireproof.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
But the gloves don't catch fire. Ever. So it must work. So it must be completely fireproof.

yes that is something i never managed to figure out, they throw fireballs with handgloves that look very attractive for a flame.

but then again nothing is logic in the world of the mario bros, flying turtles, mushrooms make you grow, plumbers that save the land/country/galaxy, etc.