• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's up with the gloves?

As I was drawing Ike, it just hit me. A lot of heroes and heroines(sp) wear gloves? Think about all the other interesting garments they wear, as well; whether they be full fledged mickey mouse gloves, cool looking fingerless gloves, freaky full legged boots, overalls, weird hats, or even capes, they're always wearing something odd.

Think Mario, Link, the dude from SAP, Ash, Ike from fire Emblem, superman, heck think about Charlie brow's ugly yellow shirt! etc.

Why do you think that they wear what they wear? Don't just say "cus it helps hod their sword" or I'm gonna have to smack you.

Last edited:

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
it is for various reasons, cool, neat, useful, for when it's cold, in ike's case i think it's because he's a gentlemen.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
Ash possibly wears them because he'll be travelling through many climates and he's prepared.

Link's gloves probably do help him get a better grip on his sword. And I'm wearing smack-proof armour, so don't bother trying.

Mario's are special plumbing gloves. Maybe.

Blk Charizard

♥ ☻ ♥ ☻ ♥ ☻ ♥
1: Gloves are needed to perform certain tasks. (eg: Link)
2: Gloves complete an outfit perhaps.
3: For warmth.
That's all I can think of @tm.

dark rift

Ike and Link probably have them so their hands don't wear away from sword fighting Mario & Luigi's are probably plumbing gloves and the others have gloves because they are germaphobes.

P.M.

Poison Master
Yeah,Think how many germs are everywhere! I can Just picture Link saying,"OH NOES MY GLOVES ARE DIRTY!" then he faints like a little girl.
And plus, He cut his hands from using that sword so much. . . . . . . . . .

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Ash possibly wears them because he'll be travelling through many climates and he's prepared.

nah not for the climate, leather doesn't breathe if ash would find himself in a warm and wet climate he would scratch himself to death, i think it's for the grip, he has to throw pokeballs from time to time.

cus it helps hod their sword

Seriously, it's probably because their creators decided they should have gloves.

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
Mario's were to designate where his hands were, I believe, much like his 'stache was to define his nose.
Mickey Mouse was probably just the style of the day, if you notice all the Mickey Mouse characters wear gloves.
Most early game characters were, again, like Mario, to define hands, like Sonic.
Ash is probably for grip.

nintendude 64

Dropped my balls!
Cuz theyre all just cool like that and everyone else is wearin them so they dont want 2 feel left out

Profesco

gone gently
Er... this probably could become a fun discussion. Heroes have unusual outifts, don't they? =P

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

Nostalgia is my pal
Capes never really made sense huh...

Actually most Anime chracters are usually really overdressed, lots of useless zippers and belts ya know? I guess its just because people think its cool.

To look as cool as possible.
Is there any reason you can think of to wear leather, arm lengh gloves, a jacket with a fur lined neck line and cuffs in a temerate climate, a cape, cool leather pants, enough belts that would make going to the bathroom a logistical nightmare, and boots that probably weigh as much as the wearer?
Because it's COOL.

Which is why my typical everyday outfit looks like I held Nomura at gunpoint and made him design me somthing.

And Link's hat is there to make him look more heroic. Cuz nothing looks more heroic than a silly green hat. I makes Kirby ten times more adoreable though.

BCVM22

Superman wears a cape because a billowing cape is the easiest artistic way to indicate a character is flying or otherwise moving rapidly through the air (since Superman couldn't fly in his earliest appearances), something of which I'm sure Siegel and Shuster were aware when they created the character.

I don't know what you hope to get out of this thread, original poster - the answer to 99% of these questions is because it "looked cool" or otherwise served to make a character more visually distinctive.

trixie08

Speak No Evil
A lot of the characters that I make up wear black fingerless gloves, because I think they look really cool. Not really sure about capes though, but yeah, I would maybe add something like that if the ensemble looks sparse.

Last edited:

OJG

r u not entertained
Think about it; noone knew who the Batman was. if they could just fingerprint him then they would find out who he was, hence the gloves.

the_w0lf

-/-Dutty Love-/-
I don't know what you hope to get out of this thread, original poster - the answer to 99% of these questions is because it "looked cool" or otherwise served to make a character more visually distinctive.

They genuinely wanted to know the answer I'm assuming. And now that they recieved it, why not change it into a discussion of famous costumes of our favorites seems logical I guess. Rather than locking the thread, why not turn it into something fun for a few days.

Didn't know that about capes though, I just thought they were for the "cool" factor.