• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's with this

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Why wasn't Serena ever allowed to have an actual battle? Minus the episode where Eevee evolved she's never won or lost a battle and in general didn't have many. I realize her goal didn't involve battling but Iris had the same problem it seems each and every Pokemon girl gets less and less battles why is that?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Not true. Iris battled a lot. Serena is the only Pokegirl so far who barely battled. I think she was lucky to not have ran into random wild Pokémon as she was searching for Ash (just like she did with finding a Pokémon Center) and her career choice doesn't require battling at all so why do something you don't need to do? She might not be interested in battling and only uses it to help herself & people. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone is meant to battle just because they're a Pokémon Trainer.

STICKTOPIA

Serena's goal didn't really have anything to do with Pokémon battling. That's why we didn't really see her do much battling. Her main thing was performing so that's why we never really saw battling. So it's not like she wasn't allowed, it just wasn't really towards her goal. Iris wants to be a dragon master so that's why we saw her in a couple of battles. It may not have been like may and dawn where they did contests but they still had some importance shown on them. Battling isn't the only way of showing importance to a character.

Navin

MALDREAD
Serena's goal didn't really have anything to do with Pokémon battling. That's why we didn't really see her do much battling. Her main thing was performing so that's why we never really saw battling. So it's not like she wasn't allowed, it just wasn't really towards her goal. Iris wants to be a dragon master so that's why we saw her in a couple of battles. It may not have been like may and dawn where they did contests but they still had some importance shown on them. Battling isn't the only way of showing importance to a character.

Be it as that may, the ironic thing is some of key developments happened while...battling. It's like they wanted to show that she can battle, but not have her do it too much, or be able to win or lose.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
Why wasn't Serena ever allowed to have an actual battle? Minus the episode where Eevee evolved she's never won or lost a battle and in general didn't have many. I realize her goal didn't involve battling but Iris had the same problem it seems each and every Pokemon girl gets less and less battles why is that?

serena's goal didn't require experience in battling, so it makes sense. iris battled a lot thoug, iirc. didn't she even win a battle tournament (and beat ash in the finals)?

I always noticed, when Serena battle, it's always important, in the structure for the story, so I guess for her every battle, the most important it's how she evolve during it, not to know if she win or lost.

DatsRight

I think a key problem was that while Serena didn't evolve much as a battler, they still wanted her to keep getting involved in it for action purposes or just make her look like she had gotten more competent and independent. Of course since they wanted to keep to the idea battling wasn't her specialty, this often meant, instead of actually improving her skills or strategy in any way, just bending the situation of each time she battled so she looked like she was getting better. It didn't really do a great job of it, part because she still looked clueless and needed saving whenever things weren't a pushover, and also because they spammed it too much and made her look too heavily plot armoured.

It was boring nearly every Team Rocket scenario getting downgraded just so she could curb stomp them with very basic attacks, especially since one of early XY's better elements was them actually being halfway challenging, and when she got into a match where she would have to inevitably lose or even just take a couple of hits back and improvise, some cheap miracle would interrupt it. She had to be saved from freaking MEOWTH when he didn't go down with 'Dodge and single attack' method. Her battle participation was either extremely basic or overprotected by deus ex machinas, making her pretty dull to watch in action. She also got a bit too annoyingly complacent at times, especially since you knew the moment her opponent was good enough to get one shot in she was back to cowering and begging for the plot to rescue her. Ash can be smug and confident, but at least he earned the right to be.

It's bad when she has been upstaged by Lillie, who despite having as little battle expertise, still used STRATEGY against Team Rocket in her very first face-off.

Her only good match was her very last one against Ash, being the only one she showed some decent resistance and strategy and gave her Pokemon a unique battle style, and even that one was called off as soon as Braixen got in one good hit. Even just that level for most of the series would have at least been much more entertaining to watch without making her look that battle centralised.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Maybe if they made her goal Contests in the first place, we'd have seen her doing some battles. Showcases were like beauty pageants, which is why I didn't care for them much.

Janovy

Banned
I'd just like to point out that Iris battled A LOT.

She was first pure battle-oriented trainer since Misty whereas Dawn and May were more concentrated the on the Contest style of battling.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Generic love interest syndrome.

She also didn't have any Pokémon that could battle for like 60 episodes.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Because they had problems to involve Serena into the battles since she never really had a reason to train pokemon. The same for May in her first 15 episodes, but she changed her opinion about the pokemon quickly. Probably because she saw the good in the Pokemon after her bad experience with the pokemon previously. That builded up her bond with her pokemon and found a goal with them.

With Serena, she never really hated pokemon or really loved them. She found them cute and that's it. That's probably why she never was engaged into battles. Also no battles in the showcases.

I'd just like to point out that Iris battled A LOT.

She was first pure battle-oriented trainer since Misty whereas Dawn and May were more concentrated the on the Contest style of battling.

That has nothing to do with the thread.

Janovy

Banned
Original Post said:
That has nothing to do with the thread.

???

What are you even talking about? OP literally mentions all the pokegirls and how they seem to be fighting less and less. Iris herself is explicitly mentioned.

Just because you can't stand someone praising a character you despise gives you no right to call me out for "off-topic" posts that aren't off-topic at all. Grow up.

Last edited:

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Her only good match was her very last one against Ash, being the only one she showed some decent resistance and strategy and gave her Pokemon a unique battle style, and even that one was called off as soon as Braixen got in one good hit. Even just that level for most of the series would have at least been much more entertaining to watch without making her look that battle centralised.
I thought her double battle vs Aria was alright (the one where Fennekin evolved) because she did use a strategy to get above Aromatisse's Reflect using Pancham's Stone Edge with Fennekin jumping on top of them, too bad Fennekin's Flamethrower was countered though. It's also a bit special because that's the technique/strategy we would later see Serena use in her Performances (which did become repetitive I'll admit).

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
???

What are you even talking about? OP literally mentions all the pokegirls and how they seem to be fighting less and less. Iris herself is explicitly mentioned.

Just because you can't stand someone praising a character you despise gives you no right to call me out for "off-topic" posts that aren't off-topic at all. Grow up.

Overlooked that, so sorry. I like Iris, but I thought Serena lack was the main point here. Also implying me hating Iris despite me not offend her in any way is also not very mature by yourself

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Because her goal has nothing to do with battling.

Also Iris arguably had the most regular battles out of all the pokegirls, so I'm not sure where you got the whole "Iris had the same problem" from.

DatsRight

Because her goal has nothing to do with battling.

Also Iris arguably had the most regular battles out of all the pokegirls, so I'm not sure where you got the whole "Iris had the same problem" from.

I think it might have been more forgiven if her performances were at least developed, but even in those she just spammed the same tricks over and over and never lost votes for it regardless.

It's a shame because if they developed her performing, it could have played more into her battle style as a side effect since she could choreograph accordingly. We got glimpses of chekhov's skills, but they were just a couple spammed instances rather than a fully developed style (eg. Braixen jumping on Pancham's stone edge, Eevee's dance dodge). Thinking about it, that could have made a cool distinctive gimmick for Serena, but alas it never really happened. Tierno and Lillie's butler made better use of the concept that her.

Substance sucked for Serena's arc, they timed the general point she was supposed to transition into being more capable, but didn't alter anything about her actual competence or versatility in anything. She was just suddenly on top all the time, always winning showcases, being able to curb stomp TR with one hit, and the universe bending itself whenever she was in position she risked looking outclassed, but with her still generally doing the same basic stuff she did before. She was 'developed' because the story said so.

Last edited:

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
It's unfortunate because she's very one-dimensional in other areas as well. They develop a sub-plot about choreographing stuff in battles, then it remains undeveloped. She also does a lot of things involving repeating stuff, or just winning by votes - which is less detailed than winning a battle. It's like her character gets a bit stuck at times.

Lillie becoming a trainer early is interesting, but kinda different from the game. It sort of spoils her deciding she was OK training in the games. Anyway, it remains to be seen if they will be much better. She can be a damsel in distress type character, which is bad when Serena is a really focused romantic lead type.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Serena didn't evolve much as a battler

haha yeah, but her Pokémon did! In fact, both of her evolutions came during battles! lol

Substance sucked for Serena's arc

Agreed. Her whole arc was rushed. Consider how crazy this fact is: she won her first Princess Key when Ash had 6 badges, and placed second in the Master Class when Ash had 7 badges.

Dawn also placed second in the Grand Festival when Ash had 7 badges..imagine if she had won her first ribbon when Ash had 6 badges?? What a joke

Last edited:

Cat's Eye Draco

To be fair, Serena's growth as a trainer wasn't really the point of her individual character arc, her growth as a person was. Not that the two are mutually exclusive by any means. It's just that with Serena, the latter seems to have been given the greater focus, especially compared to characters past. Dawn, for example, had problems with things like overconfidence that were addressed in her series, and while they occasionally spilled over into her personal life (the depression arc, for example), for the most part they were explored in the capacity of how they effected her as a trainer/coordinator. With Serena, the development she underwent was explored more along the lines of how it effected her as a person/human being in general. Which, to me, is an interesting and slightly refreshing angle to take with a character. Could it have been pulled off better? Yes, it could have. Would I want this to be the focus for every character? No, for the same reason I found it refreshing with Serena: a little variety never hurt anyone.

Come to think of it, personal rather than professional improvement is a theme used with all the XY main cast. Clemont went on a journey not to become an electric type master but to become braver and stronger and experience more of what life had to offer than he would if he stayed shut up in his tower. Bonnie learned through her interactions with Pokemon like Flabebe, Tyrunt, and Squishy what it meant to truly care for and do right by them, and that sometimes that means saying goodbye. Even Ash's character development for the series was less about gaining a special power as it was about his learning to handle that power (and the ego boost that eventually came with it).

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
A person shouldn't be worth by the progress in their career but their own personal growth like Glaceona said. Sure she didn't really do much in her run but what was more important to her was her bonds with her 3 Pokémon, getting comfortable around Ash, and proving to herself that she can get stronger and break out of her comfort. She had more change than Clemont himself who wanted to be brave and strong like Ash yet remained static throughout the saga (sorry Clemont. ;.; ).