• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's your least favorite Pokemon manga?

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
There have been a few "What is your favorite Pokemon manga?" threads but I haven't seen a least favorite one.

Why?

My least favorite has to be a tie between PokeSpe and Phantom Thief'.

I don't quite like the PokeSpe personalities, characters, plot changes, plot, etc.
Phantom Thief' just isn't my type of manga; The characters and plot don't interesting.

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I'm going to have to say the Mystery Dungeon ones.

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
I havn't read that many pokemon manga, (I've read Pokemon Special, Dengeki Pikachu, Pokemon 7, DPA, PokeWake, the movie mangas, and the mystery dungeon mangas)

It would be unfair to say the movie mangas were my least favorite since they weren't meant to be sagas or anything they were basically an advertisement for the movies.

I would have to say my least favorite from the ones I've read was the Mystery Dungeon manga. There was SO much wasted potential. It doesn't help that they are my favorite side games and they basically ate the plot, crapped it out, and used the crap for the plot of the manga.

As for actual SERIES I would have to say (once again out of the one's I've read) my least favorite is DPA. I just can't get over the weird art and reading the first volume it felt... really juvenile. At least with other pokemon manga that I know is for 7 year olds (no matter how much you want it to be for Teens Pokemon Adventures is for 7-12 year old boys...) I could still enjoy it because while it wasn't exactly intellectually stimulating I could enjoy the content as it seemed to appeal for all ages. From what I've seen of the later volumes it get's better so I'll still give the series a shot and complete it.

Pokemon Special has quite a variety of casts and a dynamic plot that follows loosely to the game most of the time.

... and it's perfectly acceptable for people to have another opinion and dislike it. :rolleyes:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I think the issue with DPA's pacing is that it's more about Vs Team Galactic than trying to be the top trainer. And yes, it gets more mature later on, once that plot gets going, although it still has fun with itself.

My least favorite is the movie 2 adaptation from Coro Coro. The art is hideous, for starters--the only thing on-model in the entire thing is the Hikoukyuu. How can the AIRSHIP be drawn right when nothing else is?
But fine ok, I can look past crappy art (I love Shin-chan, after all). But the storytelling is disgustingly bad. They have no respect for canon characterization, or for character EXISTANCE. Melody DOES NOT EXIST in this comic, nor does most of Shamouti Island. And oh man Jirarudan what did they do to your poor derpy self? Not only are you suddenly a preening, mugging egomaniac, they also drop your ship on you halfway through! Nnnnnngh.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
As for actual SERIES I would have to say (once again out of the one's I've read) my least favorite is DPA. I just can't get over the weird art and reading the first volume it felt... really juvenile. At least with other pokemon manga that I know is for 7 year olds (no matter how much you want it to be for Teens Pokemon Adventures is for 7-12 year old boys...) I could still enjoy it because while it wasn't exactly intellectually stimulating I could enjoy the content as it seemed to appeal for all ages. From what I've seen of the later volumes it get's better so I'll still give the series a shot and complete it.
I can forgive DPA for being juvenile since the franchise as a whole is aimed at little kids, and any appeal for older audiences is really just a bonus. But the real charm of DPA isn't any deep plot(since...there isn't one); it's how it manages to make extreme sappiness(friendshipfriendshipfriendshipFRIENDSHIP) be endearing instead of sickening. At least in my opinion.
That's not to say that you must like it, but it's not really fair to complain about a Pokemon manga being juvenile. It's just a different genre from Special, and is naturally aimed at a slightly different audience.

00poke_maniac said:
I didn't like DPA too much... it moved too fast for me... Second volume Hareta had like what? 5 badges? (but I'm sure it has some good qualities too ;D )
I will agree with this point, though. Even the manga itself pokes fun at this with between-chapter gag pages having various GLs complaining about not getting enough paneltime.

As for my least favorite manga...I'm leaning towards Ginji's Rescue Team. It wasn't really bad, but it doesn't really stand out either. That makes it my least favorite by default since there's something notable about all the other Pokemon manga I've read.

How did I spend more of this post defending DPA than I did actually talking about my least favorite manga?

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I have only read the PokeSpecial,DPA,Ginji`s rescue team,and the movie addaptions for the last AG movie and the first two DP movies.And basing apon that,I would have to say Ginji`s rescue team.It had some of points of the game in it like mudkipz training think was a bunch of toys for todlers.