• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's Your Opinion on Cloning Pokemon?

BCVM22

It's not a sanctioned game mechanic. It's a glitch, not a feature, and it is not intended to be used.

The caveat to that, of course, is whether anyone cares that you use it. If you're cloning rare Pokémon for yourself, that's your decision and your business. If you start handing out those clones of rare Pokémon, then it becomes someone else's business. They may not care either, but common courtesy would be to tell them ahead of time that the Pokémon is not 100% legitimate.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Well it got us Mewtwo, so I think...oh wait, never mind.

Sorry, the joke was too obvious not to use

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'm fine with it via the older games (meaning around Emerald Version). But I'm not fine with it when it has to rely on Online to be able to clone.

AuroraBeam

I think it's fine for personal use as long as you don't use it to maliciously take advantage of someone else. And if you do give them to anyone, do inform them.

I personally think its really neat to learn about these glitches and see how truly exploitable some of them (especially early gens) are.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It's hacking in my opinion, you use external software to break into the game and generate a clone. And the fact that you already had one just like it before doesn't change anything. But it's fine to trade clones on these forums as far as I know, even if you don't mention it, so I presume Serebii thinks differently about it. Same with hacking into the random number generator to generate extremely rare combinations of IV+shiny+nature

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
If it's from a glitch (Like the one in Emerald, for example) and it's only for personal use and not trading, then I think it's fine.
If it's from a third party source, it's not really okay since that is hacking. It's also not very polite to trade clones without letting the recipient know, especially if they hate clones.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
One of my Pokemon is a Blaziken that was cloned on accident.

It really depends though. How did you clone it? Are you trading it? Does the other person know about the cloning?

I don't consider it really hacking, but like hacking, you should let the other person know.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I'm curious. What are your guys thoughts on cloned events? Since not everyone can make it to an event. I got one of those from a friend before since the event took place far away from where I'm at.

BCVM22

The same. Cloning is not a sanctioned game mechanic, so there's no situation where it's "more" okay or "less" okay. But again, it's all a matter of who's doing it, for whom, and why. If all of the involved parties are aware it's a clone and not an original Pokémon received legitimately, and none of them care, then that's their business.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
The same. Cloning is not a sanctioned game mechanic, so there's no situation where it's "more" okay or "less" okay. But again, it's all a matter of who's doing it, for whom, and why. If all of the involved parties are aware it's a clone and not an original Pokémon received legitimately, and none of them care, then that's their business.

Problem with that reasoning is that it is very naive. Do you honestly believe that people that clone or hack or RNG abuse or whatever are going to tell other people they do that, especially if they want to trade for something else and run the risk of not getting said trade or battle if the other party knew about their cheating? These are people that are already cheating, why trust them to be honest in trading?

BCVM22

That's not naivety at all. You chose to ignore the "if" that I wrote in that sentence for that very reason. I will repeat it for you, as needed:

"IF all of the involved parties are aware it's a clone and not an original Pokémon received legitimately, and none of them care, then that's their business."

To be clear, I don't think you're disagreeing with me, or if you are, I'd suggest reading closer. Cloning is an unintended, unsanctioned, and abused glitch, unequivocally. But people are going to use it anyway, frequently under the (wrong) justification of "well, it's in the game, so it's not illegal." And so when they choose to make use of that glitch, so long as all involved parties - themselves, or themselves and a trade parter - are aware of the mechanics involved, then that's their business. To be even more clear, just in case I need to be so, cloning Pokémon and then giving them to people without informing the recipient of the Pokémon's cloned origins is absolutely wrong.

keepitsimple

site of lies
I don't care and I don't see anything wrong with trading someone a cloned pokemon without telling them. If they need to know so badly, it's their job to ask. If they didn't ask, that's their own fault. Everyone knows clones are safe anyway, so what they don't know won't hurt them.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm fine with it via the older games (meaning around Emerald Version). But I'm not fine with it when it has to rely on Online to be able to clone.

I'm kinda the same, but for slightly different reasons.

Once Gen 4 came around, and the series became more fine tuned, especially with online play, cloning seemed much less of a desirable feature. I think for me, online trading made me stop cloning, especially with Gen 4. Online trading was so huge around that time given it was brand new, with over 3 million trades a day at its peak (I remember the stats the site used to show, it was awesome). Getting the pokemon you want was incredibly easy, so cloning was a thing of the past. It's been that way for me ever since, so I'm good with it.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I'm kinda the same, but for slightly different reasons.

Once Gen 4 came around, and the series became more fine tuned, especially with online play, cloning seemed much less of a desirable feature. I think for me, online trading made me stop cloning, especially with Gen 4. Online trading was so huge around that time given it was brand new, with over 3 million trades a day at its peak (I remember the stats the site used to show, it was awesome). Getting the pokemon you want was incredibly easy, so cloning was a thing of the past. It's been that way for me ever since, so I'm good with it.
Yea same here. Only issue is with dealing with rip off trades. That's mainly when I usually traded clones. Since they wanted something so rare that it was a pita to get. Now... it's that much more impossible via the GTS. I don't really bother with uber rare Pokemon anymore.

As long as you don't use external devices cloning is fine in my opinion. I've cloned a ton in generation 3 and traded them in generation 4. However I always specified which of the pokemon I was trading were clones and also stated that I accepted clones. Just so people know what I'm exactly offering and no one feels ripped off since they knew what they traded for.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm pretty sure that cloned Pokemon are the same as "legitimate" Pokemon in the sense that they're simply copies of the same data, so I don't particularly mind getting cloned Pokemon from trades.

Zero1999

Don't see a problem with it, unless the cloned pokemon is modified in terms of abilities, illegal moveset,etc