• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's your opinion on the Ever Grande Conference (Hoenn League)?

How good/bad was the Hoenn league?

• Total voters

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
So Ash,Brock,Misty banter is more important than actual 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 battles which is what you get in the Hoenn League plus there's banter between Ash & Morrison outside the battlefield and backstory for Tyson's Meowth.Gary being replaced by someone as good as Katie is doubtful,the battles in OS haven't reached that level yet.
I mean like I said before, the banter between Ash and Morrison and Tyson's Meowth and its whole story were just ass for me personally and no fun
It's all a hypothetical anyway, take away Gary is such a bad way because taking out the heart makes no sense to compare the leagues
Hoenn league didn't really have a heart, or even a point. It really didn't invoke any emotion for me whatsoever and sure some battles were good, but only Ash vs Katie was truly great tier imo, and the main battles of Morrison and Tyson being such failures just brings this affair down for me

Obviously Furret is brown so it must be a ground type, right? lol
Ash’s Pokemon are water types and are totally weak against fire types

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
It was okay I suppose but not much happens other than the Boots Wearing Meowth. I think the main issue was that Ash had no major rivals for a huge majority of Hoenn and the writers then created three of them for Ash but their introduction episodes and Ash seeing them as a worthy rival were too rushed and badly written to the point we really didn’t feel any tension in their battles or reasons why we should care about who won or lost.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It was much less interesting to me than the Sekiei League and Jouto League, mostly due to Satoshi being restricted to the same six Pokemon throughout the tournament. While Onigohri did very well, it's still a bit depressing that the Houen League was essentially the peak of its storyarc, almost as if the writers had Satoshi catch it specifically for this tournament.

I also wasn't fond of Masamune or his angst with regards to battling Satoshi.

Last edited:

geminisama

Tyson was just Harrison with a different name really. Loved his Meowth-in-boots but I didn't like him as a character. Morrison was worse because of his voice which sounded like a parody voice or something. Loved his Swampert though.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Decent-good league but could've been better at some points and I missed reserves here as well as a bit of character interaction between Ash and his opponents not named Morrison and Tyson. Battles were fine, but not the same level of quality as the BF battles or even some of the GL fights.

MetaMantis

Offline until Ash vs Leon
It was fresh when it was brought out but struggled against a Pikachu that just got done battling with Metagross prior.Some say that was actually Peakachu which would explain why the battle between the two was long and drawn out.
Idk. Would have preferred Wally and Gallade tbh.

Bendicion

Water Master
I'm personally not the biggest fan of the Hoenn League tbh. It was a perfect example of quantity not being the same as quality, since this league had many battles, I found most of them to be pretty average. Ash vs Morrison was a disaster, and Ash vs Tyson was pretty indifferent to me, and definitely doesn't come close to Ash vs Harrison, Ash vs Tobias or Ash vs Alain. Also why are we supposed to care about Morrison or Tyson? The writers haven't absolutely given us any reason whatsoever to care about them. Yeah I suppose Tyson's Meowth has a sad story but I don't feel any sort of emotional investment/attachment in it at all to be honest. I can't even wrap my head around as to why the writers didn't introduce these characters earlier on and learned more about them over time. That would have been the correct thing to do. Morrison's battle was enjoyable I suppose but Ash's battle wasn't anything too impressive.

What's even more ridiculous here is the fact that Morrison and Tyson were getting more focus than the Grand Festival got in general. Seriously: I really couldn't care less about Morrison. The writers needed to full stop trying to develop two people that are never ever going to come back on the show. It's truly a slap in the face of the coordinators that you barely focused on for two episodes. That surely didn't go anywhere. Overall, a pretty damn poor league to accompany a poorly done Grand Festival.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
This league is the perfect example of what happens when you focus on quantity instead of quality. Tons of battles,yet all of them are forgettable at best and outrageously bad at worst
Really?They're forgettable because of no main rival or because the quality of the battles weren't that good.If it's the latter then that would mean the Silver Conference is in the same ballpark.

Ryker101

Decent league and good battles, surprised they managed to squeeze 3 6v6s tho Morrison’s didn’t feel like one

But there’s not much story investment to it, no major rival or score for Ash to settle here. That really hurt it like the rest of AG imo cause he’s just fighting cotds