• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's your opinion on the Manalo Conference? (Alola league)

How good/bad was Alola league overall?

• Total voters

Trillion

it was ok. it's not my favorite but i was able to enjoy it for what it was

the cons:
  • ash vs hau is one of my least favorite battles of all time
  • wasn't a fan of the meltan vs hypno gag
  • 1v1s, 2v2s, 3v3s
  • while i liked the battle itself, and i liked the fact that ash became champion- i never liked the fact that the ash vs gladion battle is what made him champion. this is ash becoming champion after 22 years [at that point in time]. the battle wasn't that great for it to be ash's big moment, and it was only a 3v3. i much would have preferred if the ash vs kukui battle is what gave him the title of champion
the pros:
  • ash vs kukui [if that counts]
  • sophocles vs kiawe, lana vs guzma, ash vs guzma, ash vs gladion, james vs jessie
  • the fact that ash became champion

the middle ground:

i get that some people don't like that it was an open league [i'm not the biggest fan of it myself tbh], but i feel like it being an open league is what sm was all about. the whole series was about inclusion. and kukui was trying to start alola's first pokemon league to get people into battling. letting everyone participate was the whole point.

i also don't think this invalidates ash's champion title. the league + ash vs kukui shows us pretty clearly that ash is the strongest trainer in alola. with only kukui, kiawe, gladion, guzma, and the island kahunas even being able to stand a chance at this point. ash defeated all of those people except for kiawe and that's because they never even battled

i think to enjoy sm in general, you have to take it for what it's trying to do. almost see it as a whole different show. the alola league doesn't compare to the sinnoh or kalos league for me, but at the same time- i don't even try to compare them

POOP because Ash vs Hau ruined it.
The Masters 8 is better than this **** unless it pulls something like Ash vs Hau

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
1.PWC?
2.Conquering the Battle Frontier
3.Kalos League Runner Up
4.Defeating a Darkrai
5.Defeating Paul
6.Orange League Winner / Alola League Winner
7.Alola League Winner / Orange League Winner
Yet in PWC the only notable achievement of Ash mentioned and hyped up is being the Alola champion
I love people still try to invalidate it as Ash's best achievement pre-PWC when the writers themselves said you guys were wrong

Mistycallsstaryu

1.PWC?
3.Kalos League Runner Up
4.Defeating a Darkrai
5.Defeating Paul
Defeating Paul was a bigger achievement than Ash making the M8 tbh.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
1.PWC?
3.Kalos League Runner Up
4.Defeating a Darkrai
5.Defeating Paul
I agree with this ranking, but I would rank Alola school tournament 8th instead, since I think that even Unova league is better than it so it’s ranked 7th

Krackochu

Now let's focus on the facts here folks

If you like the characters and like seeing everyone participate this league is great at that.

If you like 6v6 battles this league sucks to you.

If you like power scaling this league does a pretty decent job

I like this league for it's story more than for it's battles.

Guzma was a great central villain that made things fun. Ash won in Alola which everyone could totally call and it makes sense as Ash is legitimately the most experienced trainer their besides Gladion and Kukui. And it was the arc SM was building up to.

DatsRight

While the minimalist rounds were a bit of a shame, I consider them a neccessary evil. Remember that in SM pretty much every recurring Pokemon was a fully fledged character. Only Kukui brought out loads of surprise troops like previous league opponents did. Otherwise this was a final hurrah for every Pokemon as much as their trainer (even if admitedly a couple like Sandy and Shaymin still got screwed over).

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Characters such as Mallow, Lana and Lillie had no business being there. The three of them combined don’t even make a full team of six pokemon. Had they procceded further in the tournament which pokemon where they even going to use? Literally anyone could enter this tournament and it’s hard to take it seriously.

SH65

Victory Over All!
You can't go wrong with either the Unova League or the Alola League they're at least better than the sh*tty Kanto League (It looks like Charizard is taking a nap!) no good quality battles whatsoever and I'm convinced Ash would've made it all the way to Top 4 if he actually managed to defeat Ritchie,the competition was p*ss poor.

Unova League
Ash vs Stephan
Cameron vs Bianca

Alola League
Ash vs Gladion
Ash vs Guzma
I was about to say that Ash vs Cameron drags the Unova league down for me and then I remember Alola league had Ash vs Hau so it equals out.

TheNewGuy

Excellent, given it delivered both the correct result and - eventually - a classic battle.

None of the main league matches were anything to write home about except for Lana/Guzma - Ash/Gladion was fine and obviously a very satisfying result but not a top 10 match in the series.

However I liked how many of the competitors we got to see and how much more of a "community" league it was. I was invested on some level in all the matches.

Then Ash/Kukui came and they knocked it out of the park. So it really delivered in most aspects.

DatsRight

I’m still wondering what pokemon were the girls going to use if they advanced further in this competition. Given that they apparently have one each. Why are competitors, who don’t have the minimum quantity requirement for even a three on three, allowed to participate?
Only Lillie had one Pokemon. Mallow and Lana both used two, so could have gotten as far as the quarter finals. But yeah, it was an obvious giveaway to a lot of match setups and results. I don't think Guzma even had a third Pokemon either.