• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's your opinion on the Manalo Conference? (Alola league)

How good/bad was Alola league overall?

• Total voters

DatsRight

James, Lana and Sophocles were the only questionable entries in the Top 8, and even then they at least bothered to show Lana and Sophocles training before the league (along with weaponising their non-battler skills they built up over the series).

My only huge problem is that Lana NEVER done an official battle before the league, which really feels like something mandatory. James got in through a kinda farcical battle with Jessie and inevitably got stomped, while Sophocles had a crash course with Kiawe, so there was inevitable serious business training involved there, as compressed as it was.

That leaves Hau, Gladion, Kiawe, Ash, and Guzma, who were all relatively seasoned battlers.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
James, Lana and Sophocles were the only questionable entries in the Top 8, and even then they at least bothered to show Lana and Sophocles training before the league (along with weaponising their non-battler skills they built up over the series).

My only huge problem is that Lana NEVER done an official battle before the league, which really feels like something mandatory. James got in through a kinda farcical battle with Jessie and inevitably got stomped, while Sophocles had a crash course with Kiawe, so there was inevitable serious business training involved there, as compressed as it was.

That leaves Hau, Gladion, Kiawe, Ash, and Guzma, who were all relatively seasoned battlers.
Heck even if Lana didn't get an "official" battle she still completed a freaking trial, and handled seasoned poachers who managed to injure a legendary such as Kyogre

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
The best school tournament, but below the Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and Galar league!

Alolan Glaceon

Glaceon master
10/10. However, it had a few flaws that I will mention. I didn't like that they shortened the fight to 1 on 1, I understand Battle Royale because it's a promotion. However, after that, they shouldn't give such short fights. Then suddenly stopping Mallow and not wanting to fight, it was weird and not her. Same with Jessie vs James I was hoping for a real fight. Moving on to the pluses. I liked the fact that all of Ash's friends were fighting, true it was the first tournament and there were a few shortcomings but all the friends from Alola were there and they fought until the end. The Lilie vs Gladion fight was good, so good because Lillie didn't give up easily though she fell quickly anyway, in 16 there were the strongest ones almost. The Kukui vs Ash fight alone still gives me chills

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't like the main tournament. The lack of full battles in the later rounds was disappointing in particular, but even the earlier rounds - such as the battle royal round in particular - was at least good in theory, but poorly executed. Satoshi vs Kukui-hakase was great however, even though it was an exhibition match.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
A league that didn’t take itself seriously by pitting Ash against “friends” and “rivals” that can’t handle more than two or three pokemon. Trainers whose goal is not even pokemon battles, it felt more like a pre-league, like one giant qualification tournament, instead of a major league. By making Ash compete on the same level with characters such as Blue fish girl etc. it makes his victory less legitimate because he didn’t face super strong trainers like in all the other leagues.

As for kukui being “champion level” I find it hardly believable. Tapu Koko may be champion level, but that doesn’t speak of kukui since he didn’t raise or trained that pokemon.

Sham

The Guardian of War
A league that didn’t take itself seriously by pitting Ash against “friends” and “rivals” that can’t handle more than two or three pokemon. Trainers whose goal is not even pokemon battles, it felt more like a pre-league, like one giant qualification tournament, instead of a major league. By making Ash compete on the same level with characters such as Blue fish girl etc. it makes his victory less legitimate because he didn’t face super strong trainers like in all the other leagues.

As for kukui being “champion level” I find it hardly believable. Tapu Koko may be champion level, but that doesn’t speak of kukui since he didn’t raise or trained that pokemon.
No offense but weren't you just arguing that Alder was a strong Champion or implying it when we arguably got more feats and battles for Kuki? Just going by title alone doesn't support that. While the league was wacky having the classmates with wacky last minute power ups, it's not like his opponents were implied to be any weaker than Cameron, Katie, Harrison or Nando. The people he did fight were established battlers.

Last edited:

RafaSceptile

A league that didn’t take itself seriously by pitting Ash against “friends” and “rivals” that can’t handle more than two or three pokemon.
Well I guess Sinnoh and Kalos are terrible league because they also have Ash's rivals that can't hanflr more than 3 or 3 Pokemon (Barry and Trevor)

By making Ash compete on the same level with characters such as Blue fish girl etc. it makes his victory less legitimate
images_5.jpg

You can like or dislike the Alola League or not, but it is a legitimate victory regardless.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
Well I guess Sinnoh and Kalos are terrible league because they also have Ash's rivals that can't hanflr more than 3 or 3 Pokemon (Barry and Trevor)

images_5.jpg

You can like or dislike the Alola League or not, but it is a legitimate victory regardless.
Jessie, James and + the classmates always get brought up but nobody (conveniently) brings up that none of them were his opponents.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
- It was an easy win for Ash.

- Baby kangaskhan should’ve won.

- I was expecting fish girl to sweep, sad that she didn’t.

- 1.1/10

Gopu_17

It was Ashs most prestigious achievement before master 8. It made Ash a regional champion. The fact that only Ashs Alola victory was mentioned in Masters 8 means that Alola league was a higher level achievment that anything Ash faced before. The league itself was very fun and exciting. 11/10.