• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's Your Playstyle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I change up my style ever so often. It was ho for a while (probably one of my best teams) now it's a weather team. Thinking of making a new team since the enchanted garden league has kinda disappeared

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I'm always mixing things up so I really don't have a set play style. However, I do have a common reoccurring tendency to use weaker Pokemon in higher tiers.

Eaglehawk

Banned
I just started to try to use Heavy Offense over Stall.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
I just started trying zoroark on my team. It's sooo fun to use. It plays nasty mind games with people and makes them super annoyed. I tried bringing it in late game like Zachmac said and nobody suspects it. Works great :)

RedTroopa

Flame Trainer
I go for a mix of offense and defense while making sure each team member can help another team member. I also like to predict the opponents moves a lot and switch out but I can over predict real easily.

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
Well, it's like my grandpa always said:
Beat the **** out of 'em before you're killed by falling debris!
He was kinda insane, but I do like offensive weather teams, so maybe there was something to it after all.

Utopian

faults & feats
Xtranus all day all day baby.

And I believe the correct name to this thread shouldve been "what is your BEST playstyle". All good players play a wide variety of styles and the main goal here is to see what best fits them.

I just started trying zoroark on my team. It's sooo fun to use. It plays nasty mind games with people and makes them super annoyed. I tried bringing it in late game like Zachmac said and nobody suspects it. Works great :)

the point of zoroark is to catch your opponent off guard at the BEGINNING of a match, if the matches score is like 2-2 late in the game and you haven't pulled out zoroark yet, how so you expect to surprise your opponent?

I go for a mix of offense and defense while making sure each team member can help another team member. I also like to predict the opponents moves a lot and switch out but I can over predict real easily.

the best way to learn predicting is through experience. But i've actually found an efficient way to test your predicting skills. Simply build a very fragile team that RELIES on all the other mons. So like, if one mob is gone, you lose. The point is to predict EVERY SINGLE MOVE CORRECTLY (which can/has been done) in order to defeat your opponent. Personally I use hail teams to work on prediction.

Tavo_Zx

The Iron Man
My playstyle is mainly balanced with a certain inclination towards bulky offense, and I also consider it my BEST playstyle, since I don't really like playing with teams of other styles (save for HO) and I find it very suitable for me when it comes to team building to make a balanced team

Utopian

faults & feats
I love playing stall, but i feel that I'm better at offense. Stall is way more fun though o.o

I have to agree with this 100%. But with the new threats in the current metagame (OU) it is nearly impossible to make a decent stall team without using some gimmick team like BKC's -spread paralysis to everyone of my opponents mons in order for them to rage quit- (RMT on smogon idr the name sadly). Anyhoo, stall is also very uncreative. Everyday I see the generic sun stall and rain stall crap on the ladder and it's not even fun anymore :/ maybe if gamefreak decided to give more defense pokes than I would bet that the metagame would be filled with stall teams rather than balanced teams all carrying checks ie scarf terrakion blantly for QD volc's.

waytothedawn

I like a healthy balance in between and my team structure usually follows balanced play style so I can counter either hyper offensive or bulky stall
Structure is as follows
Lead/Anti-lead
Physical Wall/Total Wall
Wallbreaker
Support/Wallbreaker
Set Up sweeper
Choice User/Tank

Zachmac

the point of zoroark is to catch your opponent off guard at the BEGINNING of a match, if the matches score is like 2-2 late in the game and you haven't pulled out zoroark yet, how so you expect to surprise your opponent?
The whole trick is that later in the game, it's common for your enemy to forget you have a Zoroark in the first place. It actually does work quit a bit.
But with the new threats in the current metagame (OU) it is nearly impossible to make a decent stall team without using some gimmick team like BKC's -spread paralysis to everyone of my opponents mons in order for them to rage quit- (RMT on smogon idr the name sadly). Anyhoo, stall is also very uncreative. Everyday I see the generic sun stall and rain stall crap on the ladder and it's not even fun anymore :/ maybe if gamefreak decided to give more defense pokes than I would bet that the metagame would be filled with stall teams rather than balanced teams all carrying checks ie scarf terrakion blantly for QD volc's.
I've made a pretty nice stall team without any weather or gimmicks. Just being full of offensive pokemon doesn't make stall a gimmick at all. Gliscor, Skarmory, and other physical walls can handle Terrakion. If you out predict a choice set, it'll end up swapping out a lot, and taking a lot of hazards. Volcarona struggles with handling bulky waters and Blissy/Chansy. Ect, ect.

I won't mind if you say you're bad at stall, or insult you for it, but stall is viable.

tomy2222

Let's see who shines
I like bulky offense and hyper offense and stall, but i usally run a team like this: lead,set-up attacker,scarfed attacker,wall,spinner/stall breaker,coverage/wall/hazards/spinner.

Vandslaux

I am loving stall right now.

Utopian

faults & feats
The whole trick is that later in the game, it's common for your enemy to forget you have a Zoroark in the first place. It actually does work quit a bit.I've made a pretty nice stall team without any weather or gimmicks. Just being full of offensive pokemon doesn't make stall a gimmick at all. Gliscor, Skarmory, and other physical walls can handle Terrakion. If you out predict a choice set, it'll end up swapping out a lot, and taking a lot of hazards. Volcarona struggles with handling bulky waters and Blissy/Chansy. Ect, ect.

I won't mind if you say you're bad at stall, or insult you for it, but stall is viable.

gliscor and skarm both get 2HKO'd after a SD from terrak. SE and CC respectively.

come at me bro.

Zachmac

gliscor and skarm both get 2HKO'd after a SD from terrak. SE and CC respectively.

come at me bro.
Smogon said:
Gliscor and Slowbro are generally your worst enemies. Unless you're using them to counter Terrakion...then they're probably your best friends. The Swords Dance and Choice Band sets can put huge dents into the both of them, and sometimes straight-up beat them—though oftentimes you'll have to rely on hitting two Stone Edges in a row. That's one of the most frustrating things about countering Terrakion: because it has great STABs and hits so hard, even its "counters" have trouble handling it. Jellicent and Reuniclus can also handle Terrakion to a slight degree. Hippowdon counters Terrakion about as well as Gliscor does and has Slack Off to stick around longer.

If you want to reach down into UU, you can actually find a couple Pokemon that shut down Terrakion better than anything in OU can. Nidoqueen and Golurk are just about full stops to Terrakion. Claydol shuts down most Terrakion, but make sure you don't get caught on the wrong end of a Choice Band-boosted X-Scissor.
Yeah, a bit tricky to counter, but still possible. Saybleye can come in on a close combat an burn, if that counts for anything.

I'd also like to mention that a good stall team can get away with using an offensive pokemon. Gengar, for example, can come in on a close combat and use the sub/disable combo so it can't use stone edge, while supporting the stall team by handling reuniclus and also spin blocking.

My point is that stall won't be ineffective because of one or two set up sweepers alone. I've had a similar argument before where someone was trying to convince me that offense wasn't viable because of choice scarfs and priority.

Utopian

faults & feats
Yeah, a bit tricky to counter, but still possible. Saybleye can come in on a close combat an burn, if that counts for anything.

I'd also like to mention that a good stall team can get away with using an offensive pokemon. Gengar, for example, can come in on a close combat and use the sub/disable combo so it can't use stone edge, while supporting the stall team by handling reuniclus and also spin blocking.

My point is that stall won't be ineffective because of one or two set up sweepers alone. I've had a similar argument before where someone was trying to convince me that offense wasn't viable because of choice scarfs and priority.

One word: prediction.

Edit: double dance hax has destroyed all stall teams I have faced on the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.