• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's your stance on choosing one version or getting both, and why?

NinjaJesus

Johto Fanboy
I only get the one. My bro usually gets the opposite, but this isnt always the case. I got Ruby, he got Sapphire. We both got emerald. I got LeafGreen, He got FireRed. I got Diamond, he got Platinum (no one got pearl). I got SS, He got HG. But, he doesnt want the new games because he doesnt like the new pokemon and he thinks the original 151-251 were the best. I pretty much agree with him on , but im still going to get white

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I get both when the first games of a generation come out, so I can trade around. For example, I got both Diamond and Pearl, but only Heartgold. And I have both Black and White, but I'll probably only get one of the RS remakes if they are indeed coming.

Final

I Submit to No One
I usually end up with both so I can get all the Pokemon including the otherwise impossible to obtain Legendaries and ones with good Natures and IVs. Also if I feel like randomly restarting one of the games for say more Legendaries, hard to get TMs, extra Life Orbs, and all that I have a place to put the Pokemon and items I want to keep. If a third version of a series comes out, I end up getting that too if only for the additional features like move tutors which are always nice to have.

Sarawr

Slightly Corrupted
Ever since the first games I would always get one version & my sister would get the opposite. Then sometimes we'd both get the third version. The only time I got both versions was for the original Gold/Silver, then again recently for HG/SS, though I'd buy the second version about a year after it came out. I guess I never get tired of those games. x)

Skorbycky

I bought today (hurray!) White Version. I chose it because in the first episode of Best wishes PIkachu was attacked by Zekrom with electricity. I will not forgive him for it - soon, a trainer with Mijumaru will appear in Unova ... He will destroy mighty Zekrom once and for all :)

In the old days i got both Red and Blue, Blue was asked for and Red was a surprise.
Then i got Yellow the day after release.

I made sure my parents got me Gold and my grandad got me Silver then got Crystal when it came out.

I missed 3rd gen completally, i was hitting the teenage years when i was more into alcopops and boys :p also when it was 10 times more embarrassing when my parents made a fuss over playing "childish" games. Also i didn't like 3rd gen when it came out. It's still my least favourite gen.

Eventually got Sapphire and Leaf Green, my fiance got Ruby, Emerald and Fire Red.

When it came to 4th gen i got Diamond and my finace got Pearl. When Platinum came out we both got it.
I got SS and he got HG on release day.

Now i have White and my fiance got Black. I'm sure we'll both get the third installment when it comes out. I certainly will.

I'm also wanting to get a HG and Pearl for myself so i can SR certain things.

So at first when i was a child i got every game then i missed them all completally.
Now i'm an adult i can only afford one or the other until a later date :p

I suppose my stance is "I must have every version of the franchise but my current financial status greatly affects this"

Aquanova

Also I cant complain a bout having both this time cause im getting one of them for free for winning a contest

finalname09

Na Na Niii
I can't afford another version and I have a fear of getting told that "they're just the same game, why get both". LOL

I never got to buy the third versions as well.

Cheska

Since Pokemon games almost never drop in price, I try to take advantage of any deals I find on them, and buy both versions whenever I can. For Black/White, ToysRUs was having a buy one get one 50% off promotion, so I was able to get both games at an excellent price :)

I love being able to replay the game without having to delete my previous save data, it makes the extra money spent well worth it.

Aegon

I buy one version, and my brother buys the other. We both buy a third version each.

DarthMoogle

Forum-Moogle
Well, I live in a big family, so between us, we get every version...twice, most of the time...
I myself picked white because of the one exclusive area whichIcan'trememberthenameofatthemoment.(kupo)

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
I get one at first, then the other later one. I'm getting White first cuz I'm obviously racist and I want Rankurusu and Zekrom like you don't know.

I got Blue, Gold, Ruby, Pearl, HG first then their counterparts.

Flame Mistress

I choose the game by it's cover. In other words, I choose the version whose main legendary pokemon looks nicer. Oddly enough, it seems that the other version has better exclusive pokemon and exclusive features (for BW especially).

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I usually buy all three. I get the first two together and keep one as my 'main' and another as my 'playing game'. Basically I play through one - keep it, then use the other as one to replay the story with.

Then I get the the 3rd version and use that as my main, but still keep my old main.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I always try to buy both, and I always get the 3rd versions too, but I pick the one with the version exclusive pkmn I like better first.