• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's your stance on choosing one version or getting both, and why?

Whimsicott

I always get one version, which will be Black. Then I'll wait until the third version comes out two years later...

RequiemUltima

Proud Pokémaniac
Well, my favorite color is blue so that was my main deciding factor when I was little for my first game. I've collected them all since then, and the only trend I notice is that I seem to go for the less popular version first whenever there's a new release or gen. Like how I got Gold over Silver, Sapphire over Ruby, Leafgreen over Firered, and HG before SS. I always end up getting the other version anyway, and the third vedsions later as well.

Cruisin'

Usually the pokemon on the front. Like personally, I prefer an Electric Dragon, so I will be getting white version.

I always get one version, which will be Black. Then I'll wait until the third version comes out two years later...

This for sure.

Kaia

I usually get both, its what I normally do. Then when the time comes, i'd get the third version. It's my own personal tradition really.

Usually I just get one version and then the 3rd, but I may get White later on after I get Black tomorrow. With entirely different locations (White Forest/Black City), it's more than just those exclusive-pokemon you can get through trades.

Plus, I won't erase save files, and since you can't have more than one, only other option is to buy a new game.

RequiemUltima

Proud Pokémaniac
I usually get one version on the launch date, and once I finish that one I get the opposite version some time later. The first version is usually my most dedicated one, and the one that I never restart. The other is just for a different playing expirience: different starter, different team, more than one playthrough, ect. I'll be getting Black tommorow, and White later. And if/when there's a third version I'll get that too.

Missingno.Fan

I only get one version because in the past my brother always got the other. Now that my brother moved away I might start getting both.

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
I have always gotten both versions of the games. This dates back to R/B and I had enough money so why not get both?

I only get one because my sister always got one of the versions, so I'd get the opposite. No point in spending the extra money if I don't need to. I also get the third when it comes out.

Penguinist Trainer

I always buy both. One for me, and one for my girlfriend. When the inevitable 3rd game comes out, we each get a copy for ourselves.

DasBoot

I always get the one with the Pokémon I like the most.
Plus, my brother or friend gets the other version.

7420Cola

Shelgon Rocks
Get both so you can start over without feeling bad.

MasterKenobi

Resident Jedi Master
I'm never buying both again as I did so for Diamond and Pearl. I later realized that Pokemon Platinum was going to be released with an upgrade to the whole game, adding in replay value. It's really not worth buying both anyways because they are basically the same game minus the version exclusives, which you can just trade someone for.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I always get both of the versions eventually. One version is my "main" game of the pair, and the other is the game I can use to get items from and start over many times to re-play through the story. What's strange is that my main game is usually the "red" version of the pair (Gold, Ruby, Pearl, Heart Gold, etc.), even though I like the colour blue better.

I also always get the third version of the game when it comes out. I just have to own a copy of every main Pokemon game, it feels really weird if I don't.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
I got Pokemon White, and my husband got Black. If there's a third version...I have no idea. I guess it depends on our mood.

Ever since SoulSilver, I've always been getting the opposite version of Pokemon games (SoulSilver, White), and, if they're true the Sapphire remake. I haven't decided if i'm going to get the third game when/if it's made.

Captain Brain

I usually wait for third game and then if I find it necessary get one of the two older ones or both if I can get them pre-owned at a reasonable price. ;025;

runekey

I dont buy both because I can just trade with someone online to get the pokemon not in my game