• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When did each series in your opinion start becoming bad/good

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
I'm hazy with BW. Were most of Oshawott's wins early on perhaps?

I think most of his wins did happen early in BW, maybe because the writers might've had plans for him to be more of a battler at some point in BW's future, so they could've been setting up his win record in preparation for him becoming a Futachimaru for instance. But he seems to have started losing a lot by mid-BW and never recovered.

DatsRight

I think most of his wins did happen early in BW, maybe because the writers might've had plans for him to be more of a battler at some point in BW's future, so they could've been setting up his win record in preparation for him becoming a Futachimaru for instance. But he seems to have started losing a lot by mid-BW and never recovered.

Yeah I think that likely gave more negative impact to Oshawott than Rowlet then, since while Rowlet fluctuated between comic relief and competent up until the final points of SM, Oshawott seemed to have an actual devolution he never recovered from. It remained a characteristic that Rowlet could be both, while not so much so for Oshawott.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Tbh chespin was doomed when his evolutionary line was revealed.

I'll give you Quilladin as it's the line's black sheep but Chesnaught is fine.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I don’t know. I think out of all the starters barring Galar....Chespin and it’s line are the line I least think about (I guess you can add Totodile in that mix but it’s significantly less than Chespin).

SerenaRulez

I don’t know. I think out of all the starters barring Galar....Chespin and it’s line are the line I least think about (I guess you can add Totodile in that mix but it’s significantly less than Chespin).

I thought Chespin was funny but I always thought Ash should have had him on his team instead because Clemont didn't do enough with Chespin. Also Ash could have used a Grass type in XYZ so it would have worked out. :)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I thought Chespin was funny but I always thought Ash should have had him on his team instead because Clemont didn't do enough with Chespin. Also Ash could have used a Grass type in XYZ so it would have worked out. :)
I thought Serena should have Chespin instead because the bro relationship with Pancham, is into the Pokemon Showcases and loves Serena's treats.

DatsRight

The male companion syndrome usually leaves starters owned by them without a hope.

Chespin did feel a bit out of place with Clemont, being a grass type and I don't feel having a tremendous chemistry with him. Clemont couldn't keep Bonnie in line, let alone Chespin. As mentioned Serena might have been more fitting, due to having a more motherly dynamic towards him, or hell even making him Bonnie's reserved Pokemon (even if that likely wouldn't have helped his low importance).

Generally out of non-Ash starters, only the females tend to give them reasonable exposure, and even then it varies (while Lana's Primarina fully evolved, I always thought it was the blandest SM Pokemon).

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think Goh and Scorbunny have a fun dynamic specially in light of recent episodes so I think he is finally breaking the "curse"

And this is coming from someone who thought the bunny would be a good fit for Ash

I don't know you in person but what I do know is that I like how you think

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:

I think everything worked out for the best since Satoshi's Gekkouga overshadowed all of his other Pokemon in XY, so Harimaron wouldn't have been any better off with Satoshi.

Moonlight Starlight

I thought Serena should have Chespin instead because the bro relationship with Pancham, is into the Pokemon Showcases and loves Serena's treats.
One trainer I think would fit with Chespin if he never left the series but would stay for one more journey with Ash in Kalos would been Cilan. He would be great having Chespin for a Pokemon. He has a grass type Pokemon in his team, he would had another part of his team.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Moonlight Starlight said:
One trainer I think would fit with Chespin if he never left the series but would stay for one more journey with Ash in Kalos would been Cilan. He would be great having Chespin for a Pokemon. He has a grass type Pokemon in his team, he would had another part of his team.

Speaking of Dent and Grass-types, the writers missed a chance to give him a second Grass-type in BW. They could've given him something adorable like Shikijika instead of Maggyo, or something underused like Maracacchi.

DatsRight

I suppose in the case of going through one series to another, Chespin might have fit Mallow, doing something like what Aipom did with Dawn. Mallow's team were too calm for the large part, so having a troublemaker might have brought out her team mom side more. (I remember thinking for a long while that they might end up doing that with Rowlet actually, especially with Ash having Grassium and no duplicate Z crystals happening at first.)

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I liked Chespin more than Oshawott but the biggest thing about Clemont's team that bugged me was that he never brought his Heliolisk with him. He left it at the gym even though I wanted to see it more often. :(
I agree tbh. His Heliolisk is severely underused and underrated despite being his supposed star. Instead they made him have the overrated Luxray.

DatsRight

I agree tbh. His Heliolisk is severely underused and underrated despite being his supposed star. Instead they made him have the overrated Luxray.

It felt a bit like they were nervous about having a main team Pokemon potentially outshining Pikachu as the Electric type back then. Clemont (and technically Bonnie) were the first companions to have one at all and they were underplayed like crazy. I guess if so then they got more confident about it by the end of SM with Sophocles' Vikavolt.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The male companion syndrome usually leaves starters owned by them without a hope.

Chespin did feel a bit out of place with Clemont, being a grass type and I don't feel having a tremendous chemistry with him. Clemont couldn't keep Bonnie in line, let alone Chespin. As mentioned Serena might have been more fitting, due to having a more motherly dynamic towards him, or hell even making him Bonnie's reserved Pokemon (even if that likely wouldn't have helped his low importance).

Generally out of non-Ash starters, only the females tend to give them reasonable exposure, and even then it varies (while Lana's Primarina fully evolved, I always thought it was the blandest SM Pokemon).
As much as I love Ash vs Clemont, it felt kinda weird that Chespin stood out of Clemont's most important battle. TBH, he could've evolved offscreen, that's one offscreen evo that wouldn't have bothered me much
It felt a bit like they were nervous about having a main team Pokemon potentially outshining Pikachu as the Electric type back then. Clemont (and technically Bonnie) were the first companions to have one at all and they were underplayed like crazy. I guess if so then they got more confident about it by the end of SM with Sophocles' Vikavolt.
Dawn's Pachirisu: Am I a joke to you?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think everything worked out for the best since Satoshi's Gekkouga overshadowed all of his other Pokemon in XY, so Harimaron wouldn't have been any better off with Satoshi.

Sure but at least he'd get to be more than just a joke that does absolutely nothing and have zero relevance. At least it would have scored some gym wins which is better than what it ultimately got.

I'm still pissed they didn't give Chespin to Ash just so he could get... 3 flyers. And a pseudo that despite being his first, basically served as a jobber.

In this sense, Dragonite almost sounds like a way to make amends after Goodra being a fiasco

RafaSceptile

I don’t think they nuked electric types in favor of Pikachu considering Pachirisu and to a lesser extent Emolga were shown to be pretty competent. If anything I think weakest electric types were shown in SM prior to Vikavolt’s evolution which was at the final hour.

The second Ash's Pokémon that use an Electric type move was Ash's Meltan, 1049 episodes later than the first one (Ash's Pikachu)