• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When Did You Become A Fan Of Pokemon?

President People

Eat The Path
A little before Gen.2 came out. Happened upon the episode where the gang lands on that island full of giant Pokémon, right at the part where the Pokémon start talking to each other. My siblings and I thought that part was hilarious, but were disappointed that the show never did that again. It caught on anyway, and I've liked Pokémon ever since.

I'd heard of Pokémon before that (it was popular in school), but I disliked it for reasons I can't quite remember. I was like, 6.

Hehe, I'll share a neat story with you from around that time, speaking of siblings.

One Christmas morning, my brother, sister (both younger) and I inspected the stockings we'd hung in preparation for the day (There was of course a tree and presents under it and all that, but the stockings were always the first to be looked into, for some reason), and, among other goodies, found one pack of Pokémon TCG cards for each of us. Of course, we could not open them just yet, as we had to go to church that morning as well.

As per usual on Christmas day, the church was decorated with little fake trees with white lights and decorations them, and heaps of poinsettias were arranged before the altar. The choir boomed joyously and a trumpet blasted triumphantly throughout the hymns. As great as that sounds, all that was on our minds was opening the presents that waited under the tree back home (and of course the Pokémon cards).

On the car trip back, my brother divulged that he had "prayed that he'd get a Charizard card" during the ceremony. Our parents smiled and warned him not to be too disappointed if he didn't get one. There were 150 of them after all, right? (so manyyy) Well, that didn't stop him from tearing that pack open expectantly the minute we got home, and sure enough - there was a Charizard card inside.

I am not joking, people.

Starsurfer

Pokemon Idol
I've been here since the beginning.

I think it all started when I was about four or five, so that would make the year 1997-1998. I'm not sure why, but my mom surprised me one afternoon by bringing home a package of Pokemon cards. I remember opening it and getting a first addition Goldeen card. I adored them. (The Goldeen especially) I started collecting more cards and watching the anime after school. I realized that the games existed about a year later when I saw my cousin playing his brother's red game. In 2000, I was given my first Pokemon game for Christmas. It was Gold.

From that day forward, I was hooked. I've played almost every main Pokemon game except yellow and crystal. Ruby and Sapphire really revved me up as a fan and has led me to get every game made since. I also continued to collect cards and bought a whole bunch of Pokemon toys and figurines, which I still to this day fiercely protect from my youngest brother. (Who would probably end up destroying them) 15 years after that first addition Goldeen card and I still love Pokemon. Granted, I've stopped buying the cards and playing with the figurines, but I love the games and keep up with what's going on in the anime. I'll probably always be a fan of Pokemon. Even if the day comes that I stop playing the games, I'll watch my kids grab their Virtual Reality 3DS, scrambling to make their Pokemon evolve, and I'll smile thinking back to when I did the same thing :)

sophia

I dont remember really,though I think i just happened to caught pokemon on tv.

Rakansen

ラルフ
I remember watching TV with my older sister when the FireRed and LeafGreen commercial came up, the moment I saw the footage of Charizard flying in the sky I was hooked (side off-the-subject note, but this commercial isn't available anymore to my knowledge, the only version of it available on YouTube is the Japanese one). I remember how my sister and I fought over who would get FireRed, in the end we rented LeafGreen from GameFly. I was sick from school that day and when it arrived I chose Charmander and I got all the way to Cerulean City in one sitting, and I didn't know how to catch Pokémon so all I had was a Charmeleon. Then, my sister came home from school, played the game, and ended up buying the game through GameFly's feature where you get to keep a rented game through a fee. She wanted to keep LeafGreen for herself, so I ended up buying FireRed, haha. She doesn't play Pokémon anymore, but I have a feeling she will again soon because she's been getting into gaming recently and she seems a tad bit interested in the new generation. I was six when I played my first Pokémon game, I'm fourteen now, and I cannot wait to buy Pokémon Y.

Nyarth

That's right!
I became a fan when Pokemon first came to America from Japan. xD

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
The day my bro was forced to give me Blue because I cried about wanting something to play and he already had Silver

i feel awful about it, but he just laughs nowadays

bro im sorry for being such a lil poop ;-;

Zamin

I first got into when I was in primary school, Pokemon was huge, I watched the anime and collected the cards and even the cardboard cards lol and my first game was Yellow which I loved :)

Rhys

Since the beginning.

Although, I didn't actually get my own copy until Silver because my parents were poor luddites who still had dreams of me becoming a football star.

pikaskipper

Blue Screen Of Death
Around gen 3

Goggled Petilil

likes maids
Around when Diamond and Pearl came out.
I went to this new school and every boy was talking about it and were even trading cards.
Even though the game was in English and I didn't knew English at that time, I still had a lot of fun. (Though... I had to ask for help because I couldn't get past some Rocks you had to Rock Smash...)

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
i got into it when i first playd my japanese yellow version. despite being japanese i had no idea what it was saying, and more so didn't even know how i managed to finish it. did help i recognized what some phrases associated wth what attack/effect. however the satisfaction of beating the game got me hooked

SpoinkyPearl

When Pokémon came here in Finland around the end of 1990's everyone was a fan. I was, too. I watched Pokémon anime every week and bought Pokémon related stuff like cards (both TCG and other collectible cards), toys etc. We never had any gaming console though so me and my sister never played Pokémon before Gen III but sometimes one of my friends let me to try out his Pokémon Silver a little.

After the biggest hype I really wasn't a fan anymore but then my sister got GBA and Pokémon LeafGreen and then I got to really play for a first time and I was hooked again. This was around 2004 when 3rd Gen was just released and I started to watch anime again and I also collected TCG cards again a little. Then our GBA and the game got lost somewhere (probably when we moved out or someone stole it) and later I got new GBA and Pokémon Emerald. After that, I've been a Pokémon fan though I stopped collecting TCG cards when 4th Gen came out and I also didn't watch anime anymore pretty soon after I started to play games of my own.

And now, just recently, I started to collect cards once again and I've also watched anime a little. So my fandom is kinda circulating but the games have been around since Emerald and I've played them since. And because my boyfriend is also Pokémon fan it is much more fun to play together and discuss Pokémon and finally I have someone to play TCG with - that was the main reason when I stopped collecting when 4th Gen came out.

orochi

Idk...6 maybe. I played stadium and the Gameboy games on nintendo 64. I liked playing the mini games with my cousins XD

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
When Red & Blue were released in America. I'm one of the old farts that have been here since the beginning. I still remember my brother took the Silver version my grandma got for me.

Nyoah

The Dark Azure
i've been a fan since i found out about it
i didnt know about the games, only the anime, later after it stopped airing where i live i then didnt think much of it, so i left it for a really long time
as for the game, i got diamond and pearl later after they were released, i played a little and then left it cause i didnt understand anything

but many years later(this year's january), i was living in england, my land lord decided to take me to his other job(food delivery) at the asian takeaway, there i met a friend who said to me "i rather play pokemon than be working here" surely i was surprised so i asked(after he told me he has his ds) if i can have a go at his black 2, then he let me play, i enjoyed it so much that the next day i decided to get heart gold, few days later i got white 2 after finally saving enough money for it, and from that point i fell in love with the serious

StarlightUmbreon

i became a fan when i was about 5 i think, that's when i got sapphire and me and my older brother spent entire days playing together
i've had some times where i just lost interest in pokemon for a number of years, but it always comes back every time. i really can't not love pokemon hahaha

Around 1998-1999. Im getting old compared to some of you :(

I remember that during those days, on my school was "cool" to collect stickers from cartoon tv shows. When I went to a shop to buy some stickers, I found that weird yellow mouse everywhere, but I didnt know which cartoon show did it come from.

3 Weeks after, I went to visit to my cousin and he told me that there was something really cool called "Pokemon". And he showed me his "Official Sticker Album of Pokemon", where I saw the yellow mouse that I had seen previously on that stickers shop.

Then, everything made sense,xD.