• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When Did You Become A Fan Of Pokemon?

MosuGoji

RIP Jared
Around 2005

BugPokemonMaster316

When I was a little kid, around the age of 5 back in 2004, my older sister gave me some Pokémon figures that she had that she got from McDonald's. I fell in love with the Geodude, Kangaskahn, and Arbok she gave me. I absolutely loved animals, so when I found out about the show, I became glued to the TV screen. I enjoyed watching the show and it was one fateful day that I was watching it when the commercials came on. I went to go to the bathroom, when all of a sudden I heard the word "Pokémon" I darted back to the living room and watched in awe as I saw the bright colors of Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen on the screen. I instantly told my mom that I wanted the games for my birthday. When my birthday came, I received both games, as well as a strategy guide. I still remember the day and how happy I was. It was literally the happiest day of my childhood. From there, my love of Pokémon grew.

I saved up my money and bought Ruby and Emerald. Soon, for my seventh birthday I received Pokémon Yellow. I was very surprised as when we went to eat dinner, I saw a Pokémon cup upside down near my plate. I flipped the cup upside down, and remember seeing Pokémon Yellow laying there before me. I was ecstatic. Soon after, I bought Silver from an EB Games, but it didn't save correctly so I didn't play it much. Soon after, we visited my Godmother, whose son gave me all of his old Gameboy Games, including Red, Blue, and Japanese Yellow. From there, I began to buy almost all Pokémon games. I bought Coliseum, XD Gale of Darkness, Trozei(which was stolen), and Ranger.

When gen 4 came out, I was very happy as well. It was the first gen that came out when I could clearly remember things. I bought both Diamond and Pearl as well as Platinum when it came out. I lost Platinum so I bought another. I also received another Platinum game since my older brother found a DS Lite and 20 games including Platinum that someone had left in the store. No one claimed it within a week, so he got to keep it. He gave it to me, a now I had 3 Platinums. Gen 5 retains my clearest memory, as I followed all of the leaks and some of the CoroCoro. I bought Black, White, and Black 2. Currently I am awaiting X and Y. I am saving money for a 3DS and the game itself. I follow all the leaks, CoroCoro, and Smash. It looks like it will be great, but nothing will ever top that fateful day, back in 2004.

halloweenghost

when i was 18 years old back in 1998,.. YES 18!!!!

I discovered it with the pokemon shock incident was in the news,..but it was not important to me... close to release in the Us i saw in an EGM "pokemon is comming to the US" I originally thoguht it was gonna be some sort of tamagotchi thing so i didn't pay much attention to it.... which leads us to september 1998.....

My friend asked if i had been wathign pokemon, we were both longtime anime fans.... I said nah.... so he talked me into watching an episode of the anime (beleive it was the ghost of maiden's peak)shortly after it had started to air.. I was instantly hooked and i've not looked back since,..now i'm 33 :p

I play the games alot still, i sometimes buy a pack of card here or there,... and i still watch the anime.. my friend used to ask me to record the episodes since he went to work during them,.. and we would watch them later... well years have passed,. and he has moved on....yet...I still record the episodes to this day.....for that hopeful day.. he comes back.. I'll have the series waiting for him...

Last edited:

lara lynx

1998 or 1999. I started when the anime started and didn't play any of the games. I lost interest after gen 3 of the anime, but recently I started playing all the games.

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
About 2001 but maybe a bit before that even. I liked the anime since when i saw the first episodes and two years later i played my first game(crystal version).

In 1998-1999 during the huge pokemon craze. I got Red and Blue like everyone did, watched the anime like everyone did and collected the cards and stickers like everyone did.
Thing is most people stopped doing that before gen 3 was out, I didn't.

On my 7th b-day my mom and dad got me a DS-Lite and PMD-Explorers of Darkness, however I watched my friends play before that.

SmartD

I became a fan of Pokemon around the time the first season of the anime was on TV. After a while, I got hooked on the franchise.

MrsHoran

Eevee Lover
I became a fan of Pokemon when I started watching the TV series and then I tried my friends game of Pokemon black and i liked it. Then my cousin -ShinyGirl- showed me serebii and i found it really useful and addictive ;133;

Last edited:
Well, it all started for me when i was super young. I mean like 2 or 3 (Yes, I surprise myself i can still remember that).
It all began with a present from my parents. It was a Pikachu plush, which I would go on to cherish. This got me hooked on the earlier episodes of the anime. I would watch it everyday, and love it. It wasnt until I began school at the age of five, that I realised the games existed. I met two guys playing Pokemon Crystal, and I was like "Hmmmm.... Thats a Cyndaquil! Is that Pokemon?" From there, it all kicked off. Pokemon became a large portion of my life. Even though it was years later until I could finally have my own Pokemon game..... (platinum '09)

TanBun

I'm back :3
I became a pokemon fan since a friend of mine was on a sleepover and playing pokemon. My brother installed it for me and i played it a looong time that day Platinum is still my favorite. Awesomepokemon, awesome storyline and awesome region.

Ninfia-Fan

I used to watch snippets of the anime when I was five and I was intrigued. Then I saw my two cousins playing D/P and asked them what it was. They showed me and, again, I was interested. Then I saw the epic trailer for Platinum! It was my first Pokemon game and I was hooked.

I became a fan in 1998. This was basically because I found the anime on TV once. I knew it was based on a video game because I'd seen some commercials. In particular, I thought the one where a bus gets turned into a Game Boy was hilarious!