• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When Did You Become A Fan Of Pokemon?

xerneaslore

For me, since i first owned Pokemon Red when it came out and even used to play it on the original fat-gray gameboy that my oldest brother given to me when i was young... damn rock tunnel man with no flash! haha

rock tunnel with no flash! I have still nightmares about that... really bad stuff.

mewmew202

I've watched the anime since I was six, and got Pokemon Blue and a Gameboy Color for my seventh birthday. So 14 years of playing the games now.

INeedScizor!61!

Pokéthuselah
Gen 3, when an Army friend of mine introduced me to R/S. Got hooked on Emerald. Been playing ever since.

Meemster

I'm extremely late getting on the Pokemon bandwagon... I've watched the TV show since it was Ash, Misty, and Brock... I've been my nephew collecting all the cards, but didn't get into the games until X&Y came out.

fitzy909

Just another guy
i started watching the anime and collecting the tcg cards during gen 3, but it wasn't until gen 4 that i got my hands on some of the games. (my first being pearl) that is when i became a true fan of the series.

Xobuttsubso

<- Best DP Legendary
Somewhere in... probably mid-1998, when Nintendo Power started including these little Pokémon mini-guidebooks with the magazine issues. The games hadn't actually been released yet, and the cards and anime weren't around yet either. So for months, all people had to go by were these little mini-guides, which were kind of hilariously inaccurate sometimes from what I can remember--half the time they forgot to list a species' second type (so all the Normal/Flying types were just listed as Flying and a lot of the Grass/Poisons were listed as just Grass, for example), they used a weird mix of information from the actual American Red/Blue games and Japanese Blue (like getting the Poliwhirl/Jynx trade mixed up with the Haunter/Machoke one from Japanese Blue), and they were still using the beta names for most of them (so the aforementioned Haunter/Machoke trade was actually described as trading a Kung-Foo for a Spectre.) Sometime after this, but before the games actually came out in English, I managed to find a (badly) half-translated ROM of the Japanese version of Pokémon Blue, and I played through that up to around Misty before the Red/Blue release.

I can't remember how I first found out about Pokémon, but I'm assuming it was through the little guides that I mentioned before, since I did buy Nintendo Power every once and a while back then. I know Nintendo Power had monthly issues and the guides (there were at least 4 or 5 of them, maybe 6? I know I never had the full set but I know I had at least the first few of them) were published during the lead-up to the American release of Red/Blue, so they had to have been running them for months before any official Pokémon stuff made its way over here. Wish I still had those things; I have no idea what happened to the ones I used to have years ago, but they seem to have disappeared. >_<

Rsr57

I read in a magazine about a new phenomenon in Japan called pocket monsters. It quickly catched my interested and i bought pokemon Blue when it was released in my country. I started playing the main games, watching the anime and playing the tcg. I lost interest in the anime and the tcg later but i´ve always loved the games.

bluueeyedrose

Trainer and Breeder
I started to love Pokemon when the anime originally started, collected Pokemon cards, but didn't have a gameboy so didn't start playing the games (started with Gold version) until I received a gameboy advance for Christmas. I have played every single Pokemon game since then. (Only the rpg ones, not the rangers and stuff)

Come oooon who remembers Pokemon Snap?!!!!

Xerneltal

Sonic aficionado
I think somewhere around early 2009?

I ended up getting Pokemon Platinum for my 10th birthday that same year.

Ironic, since according to Pokemon canon you have to be 10 or older to go on a Pokemon journey. xD

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I first started getting into Pokemon once I started watching the anime in 1998. I remember waking up every morning before school and watching the anime on Kids WB. In 1998 I remember playing Pokemon Red and Blue, and collecting Pokemon cards. In 1999 for my birthday I received a Turquoise Blue Gameboy Color with Pokemon Yellow. I have been playing the games ever since. I even remember when Pokemon the 1st movie came out. I still have my Pojo magazine from 1999 that showed sneak peaks of the 1st movie. I also remember the Burger King toys, and the whole "Burger King Pokeball fiasco."

I have been a Pokemon fan since childhood.

Last edited:

MistyFalls

Around late 90s, can't remember exactly but should be around 98-99.
The first time I played it was in a PC cd-rom. Then I swapped my YuYu Hakushu
gameboy game to my friend's Pokemon Blue.

PinkiePieFox

Team Flare Grunt
2007, when Diamond and Pearl came out! Well a day after they did (in Europe)
I fell in love with the game the instant I played it, professor Rowan <3

Qmaz246

Disney Trainer
I got FireRed for my birthday, 7 or 8th, when I first got a gameboy advanced. I've been playing ever since then. I almost missed Gen 6 because I didn't have a 3DS, but I was able to get one.

SiLeNtDeViL609

High Five The Sky!!!
When firered and leafgreen came out. My odler family members had played it and got me into it. I remember clearly how i was never able to beat my own profile but when i had played it for a friend. I beat all the gym leaders in a few hours and beat the elite 4 and the champion the next day.

FlamingNoivern

Fire-type Enthusiast
I first discovered Pokémon from my Neighborhood friends and my babysitter from back when I was like 5 or 6. They were all playing Red and Blue and finally when I came home from school one day my Mother had bought me a copy of Red Version. Naturally I started with Charmander, and its all history from there. And while Red Version was definitely my start, I'd have to say I have the fondest memories of Silver Version, however, as it was with that game that I was actually playing at the same speed/pace as the other kids in my neighborhood so I actually got to trade and battle with them a lot XD - and it was my babysitter who got me watching the anime btw, although I stopped following it consistently around halfway through the Advanced series, but I've kept up with Ash's current teams thanks to Serebii and what not :)