1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

When did you first get into Pokémon?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Apr 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Fushiki

Fushiki Golden Orchid

Around 2002.

There were three Pokémon players in my class, at school, who were totally in love with the Generation II games. During the breaks, I often happened to approach and give a look... Yeah, these games' style definitely convinced me to start my own journey into the Pokémon world as well, so... After purchasing my own Game Boy and Pokémon Gold cartridge, I entered the wagon.

Redstar45, Leonhart and NovaBrunswick like this.
  2. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

If we are talking about the anime? i think i was five or six. I barely remember anything, since it was 20 years ago, but i do remember the first episode i watched the characters were hanging out at a shore.

If we are talking about games, i think it was back in 2003. I played Ruby and Sapphire's ROMs that my cousin had downloaded.
    I liked it so much that i bought a Gameboy pocket and a Yellow cartridge from my other cousin for a really cheap price. Then i bought a Pokémon Crystal and a Gameboy Color when i was 10 i think, which must have been back in 2004. (i'm not sure).
    After i beat the game,i was hungry for more and played every other game's ROM. But i still couldn't satisfy myself, so i started playing hackROMs and tried to make some of my own (it never worked tho).

Now my first brand new pokémon game and console was Pokémon Platinum and the DS. This one i played the s*** out of it. Previously, i had only played either ROMs or games that weren't the current generation. So i was really happy.

And that is about it.

3. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

He wasn’t James from Team Rocket, was he? That would’ve been REALLY awkward. XD

At least Netflix has the original series and the B/W series, and all the movies. You can watch every single episode on the Pokemon website as well.

Was it the infamous Beauty and the Beach episode? There were quite a few beach episodes in the original series.

LadyTriox likes this.
  4. Hydrangea

Hydrangea Disgraced Phantom Thief Staff Member Moderator

I was an infant in Pokemon's beginning.

However, my mom claims that we saw the first three movies in the theater. Which (if my research is correct) would have made me 2 years old sitting in the theater to watch the first movie. So I guess I got into Pokemon around this time? I must have been watching it on TV and my mom thought we should go see the movies. Funnily enough my mom also claims that I preferred Digimon and watched more of it as a kid. In adulthood, I like both. But I certainly prefer Pokemon. (those new Digimon games are cool as heck tho).

I remember owning VHS tapes of the anime (3 episodes per VHS) when I was young, probably around 2000ish. My first Pokemon game was Gold, but I played it on a cousin's GBC (I never owned my own) so my first true Pokemon game that was mine was Sapphire, which I got the year I got my GBA.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I got into Pokemon a few months after the games came out in the States, so around early 1999 I believe. I saw part of an episode of the anime on our local channel one morning, but I had no idea what it was until I asked some of my friends at school and they told me about the main concept of the series. I started collecting the cards later that month, but I only had a few basic cards since my parents didn't want to spend money on a "fad."

6. Barry Hernandez

Barry Hernandez Well-Known Member

When my girlfriend(Now wife) came home with a copy of Pokemon Emerald that she found on a sale at a local shop. I played a bit of it and really enjoyed it, I then got hooked to the game and from then on, I have been a Pokemon fan since.

7. Peter Harrison

Peter Harrison Well-Known Member

Back in 2010. My girlfriend told me about Pokemon Pearl, so I went and bought a copy, I enjoyed playing it. I’ve been a Pokemon fan since then.

Redstar45 and NovaBrunswick like this.
  8. Shayminslicker

Shayminslicker Comes out of Nowhere

Back in 2007. I remember I was a really bored child at the time and all the shows I usually watched on Cartoon Network and on Nick were not on at the moment, so I scrolled to CN and saw Pokemon was on and I was like 'Eh, I'll give it a shot'. I remember the episode it was too it was 'DP012: Arrival of a Rival!' I remember watching this episode and I was blown away by the animation and all the action. I've been hooked ever since.

Redstar45 and NovaBrunswick like this.
  9. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

[​IMG]

Oh man. The Diamond & Pearl era brings me back. Who remembers Serebii.net posting this pre-DP anime artwork featuring Ash, Dawn & Paul looking like the next three main characters who would travel together, owning the Sinnoh Starters until it was later revealed that Paul was actually the rival and Brock would again return which actually disappointed a lot of Pokemon fans that they wouldn't get a brand new male traveling companion in Ash's group. Funny how times have changed that fans now love the Brock-Croagunk dynamic and Paul's rivalry.

10. NovaBrunswick

Ah, the days when CN showed Pokémon. What channel shows it now? I think it's on CITV and Disney XD here in the UK.

Redstar45 likes this.
  11. Lineair

Lineair Member

I think it was 1998? xD Like the year it was released or maybe the year after... I started with Red and Blue, then got Yellow. There are a few generations I didn't play thought, my favourites were Yellow and Crystal.

12. lablablabz

lablablabz Well-Known Member

I got into Pokemon in 1999! First game was Yellow.

13. NovaBrunswick

We in the UK got the Gen 1 games pretty late. My cousin also got his first Pokémon game in 98.

shoz999 likes this.
  14. Monozu

Monozu Cosmopolitan Dragon

2010, my first games were BW. It's hard to believe that was almost 10 years ago now.

15. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair Reporting on-duty in Galar.

Hard to believe it feels like yesterday when I was trying to record the first season of anime to that at age 6:

[​IMG]
    (Charizard vs. Magmar feels.)

From videotapes to consoles, I got my first game in a trade: a counterfeit Pokémon Silver to Tetris in 2000. Best decision I've made when I was a kid; devoured at least a thousand hours to that, almost discovered something new everyday, took 'months' to complete because no one knew you had to fish a missing machine part in Misty's Gym, traveled everywhere with it, and eventually learned the first bits of English through checking dictionary to know what was going on behind scenes.

Still to this day, it brings a smile to my face that I was attached to my first-ever level 100 Dewgong that evolved from a Seel at Level 56 because I didn't know what Everstone was used for. Having no internet connection, zero sources except your friends, and playing completely blind was the ultimate factor that tied me to the franchise.

Redstar45, Monozu and NovaBrunswick like this.
  16. D*N

D*N Musical Star

Basically from the beginning. Started mainly with the anime and the trading cards. I remember playing pokemon blue, or well ...trying to because I couldn't speak English yet and I got stuck for a long time with the man in Viridian who didn't let you through, and then later again with the underground path from Cerulean to Vermillion. Good times haha. I really got in the games with pokemon Ruby.

17. catzeye

catzeye Writer's Block

Back in 2000, watching the anime after school on Kids!WB. Wouldn't actually get my hands on a mainline game until Gen 3. I've been a loyal (if not a wee bit cynical) fan ever since.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  18. NobleJanobii

NobleJanobii The Maddest Shaymim

When I was about 7 so about 2005 ish? I started out just watching the show and played PMD Blue Rescue Team as my first game.

19. CosmicDragon

CosmicDragon Member

A few years after Pokemon Yellow came out. A friend of mine was giving it away, so he gave it to me. I don't remember much other than ditching Pikachu for the Caledon Eevee. Also, I really wanted Gengar and silly, 7 year old me didn't know Haunter evolved via trading. A kid offered to evolve it for me, then stole my level 70 Gengar! I was so mad! I begged him all summer to give me back my Gengar and he never gave it back to me.

20. NovaBrunswick

I kind of stopped keeping tabs on the anime about halfway into the XY series. I haven't seen any of the Sun/Moon series.