• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When did you have your Pokepiphany?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... I've never not done this.

I can flick on my Blue version and see my same old team trained. Granted I only had three back then, but that's not much less than now.

Pokemon games are designed to be played with a 4-pokemon team. Less, and your pokemon outlevel your opponents' by multiple levels; more, and your Pokemon don't level enough without grinding. Although honestly, B/W I could have used five; with 4 I was regularly 2 or 3 levels higher than everyone.

Anyway, using a legendary (Or pseudo-legendary, for that matter) is basically cheating. You're taking the easy way out by letting stats carry you instead of skill.

ZipZap

I don't think I've ever over leveled or used legendary Pokemon, except once for the battles with N and Ghestis because my team was underleveled quite a bit.

Hilbertio

Banned
When I first played Blue on an emulator.

Shin'ou

Skyla lovers
After I beat my first Pokemon game, Red version... My untrained Articuno pawns Lance's dragons without even having a scratch, Zapdos zaps every obstacles the first E4 sent out, however they're still okay because in fact they aren't all that strong (not even uber).. Mewtwo is the worst... It makes the whole game leaves only craps to kill with it.

Maverik

Banned
I'm not the only one who feels this way!

In my Pearl, my team was horribly unbalanced. Level 80 Palkia and all others were 50 by champion time. I fixed this in Platinum.

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
Mine wasn't until Pearl. In my defense, I was 13 when Pearl came out, and had only been playing since Sapphire and Ruby. When Pearl came out in Japan, I started working on a good team, and I've been doing so in my games ever since.

Pokemon Trainer Blue

Smell ya later!
.... I've never not done this.

I can flick on my Blue version and see my same old team trained. Granted I only had three back then, but that's not much less than now.

Pokemon games are designed to be played with a 4-pokemon team. Less, and your pokemon outlevel your opponents' by multiple levels; more, and your Pokemon don't level enough without grinding. Although honestly, B/W I could have used five; with 4 I was regularly 2 or 3 levels higher than everyone.

Anyway, using a legendary (Or pseudo-legendary, for that matter) is basically cheating. You're taking the easy way out by letting stats carry you instead of skill.
It does seem like it at times. considering 99% of trainers in B/W had a 1-4 Pokemon team...

magentaman

since the first time i switched on blue when i was 10.

i still have fond memories of my team of charizard, sandslash, raichu, poliwrath and victreebel

edit: in fact, i feel a retro sig coming on

Last edited:

Maetch

It was sometime in Gen3 when I swore off Legends in all of my main teams, save for when I need to take on a very big opponent like Red. I think the most recent time I used a Legend was with Zekrom in the final fights of White.

the 2nd re run of leafgreen with a team of Victreebel, Charizard,Gyarados, Pidgeot, Raichu and Alakazam. As wonderful as it was to have a balanced and powerful team it seems to me to be compulsory now because i always have grass,fire,water and flying, it seems to limit my imagination with teams.

Emerald. It just was never fun beating the game quickly and easily, I always try and keep my team within a 5 level gap with my starter a few levels higher.

CelestialFire

<--- Better than you
Diamond and Platinum (for me) was when I trained my Pokémon to approximately the same level and it wasn't until HGSS that I stopped using legends

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
It was tough NOT to use that level 70 Raquaza to destroy the Elite Four back in the day for some people :/

so true. i was like that until i heard of the monotype challenge, and EV training, which happened to be when i first heard of serebii. coincidence?

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Haven't used legendaries in-game since Red. The original Red. I learned real quickly how to make an effective move set thanks to comments (and chastising) off of PokeMasters' forums. I will say this; Golem, Magneton, a fire-type and a water-type are really the only thing you need for all the games to get through and have fun. I always manage to incorporate Magneton or Golem, or both into the mix. Slaves are slaves; thank God for Gyarados and Tropius.

As far as a Pokepiphany...? This word is yet undefined on Urban Dictionary (the fore to leading source of all legit 1337 terms on the internets). If I had a Poke-epiphany, it would be that I've done this literally 11 times before over the past 12+ years: Why am I doing it yet again? In that case, ever since playing Yellow after Red.

Everest

Surf's Up!
Any way, I tried balancing my team in soul silver, but it didn't quite work out... You see, I'm the kind of person that just rushes through the game without training much. Now I try to balance my team a little more, but not as much as soul silver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.