• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When did you have your Pokepiphany?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMage23

The Red Mage
I always play differently. I almost never use legendaries, and I usually take my time and balance my team. It's always been more rewarding for me. The only time I've ever rushed through a Pokemon game was the second time I went through FR/LG (yes, I had both games at separate times). I just wanted to clear through it so that I could transfer Pokemon between it and Emerald. That's not to say it wasn't fun; it was a blast plowing through the game with just Charizard. Another reason why I did it was because the first time I played LeafGreen, I had simply not trained my Pokemon enough for the Elite 4, and I had to trade in a Level 100 Gyarados from my friend's game to clear through them.

Hiro__

∞Melancholy∞
Am I weird because I've played with a balanced team since I was 6 playing Silver? I only stopped using legends recently because I realized that normally my team ended up stronger, faster, if I wasn't carting them around, but I didn't even understand the concept of HM slaves until I came here. I just tried to evenly distribute them among my party members. Although multiple times with each game I realize that I'm bored and I want to restart if that counts. I've restarted almost every game many, many times, excepting pokemon White, which I haven't gotten bored of enough yet... hopefully I'll get Black soon so i can just use that instead... the only game I've restarted very seldomly is Platinum, which I've only replayed once. I also try to use a different team every time, but often times I get hung up on favorites, and I generally pick 2 favorite starters and always choose from those 2.

Gigastrike

Ummm...when did red verison come out? ...Then.

Pokemon Trainer Blue

Smell ya later!
I always play differently. I almost never use legendaries, and I usually take my time and balance my team. It's always been more rewarding for me. The only time I've ever rushed through a Pokemon game was the second time I went through FR/LG (yes, I had both games at separate times). I just wanted to clear through it so that I could transfer Pokemon between it and Emerald. That's not to say it wasn't fun; it was a blast plowing through the game with just Charizard. Another reason why I did it was because the first time I played LeafGreen, I had simply not trained my Pokemon enough for the Elite 4, and I had to trade in a Level 100 Gyarados from my friend's game to clear through them.
Those playthroughs sound so unsatisfying

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
My first balanced team was in Pokemon XD, but after that in Pearl. I relied on my Empoleon to Surf over the opposition. HeartGold was almost worse because of the fact that you could trade immediately, so I imported old Pokemon I wanted to train and never really got attached to them. I think I've had my "Pokepiphany" in Black, where I trained a balanced team of Unovans, and then post Elite 4, for the most part really stuck with them.

Frostcat

Icy Cool
I've always used a 'full' team of pokemon. In R/B/Y, it was simply because there were so many pokemon that I wanted to experience them all (I had more fully trained teams in RBY than any other game). In successive games, I've always wanted to play with a team exclusively made of the new pokemon.

shiney mew

Marsh Trainer
Balanced teams? Way back in Blue when I had to borrow a Venusaur because I couldn't beat the Elite Four with just my Charizard.

As for legendaries... I rarely use those, but mostly because I have this weird thing about leaving them in the wild because getting to them and trying to catch them is something fun to do sometimes (especially when they have their own music; that's the reason I never caught Entei and Raikou in Crystal), and also I'd really love to get a shiny legendary, especially after one of my friends caught a shiny Uxie and bragged about it.

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
My empaithy or however it is spelled went on from Firered, Ruby, and and then Pearl. In Platinum, I began thinking: "I have a level 48 Gallade and a level 71 Empoleon... I think I messed up in Pearl..." So, then, I began making teams. Most had a few legends, but a few didn't. Now, I only have Legends for Bragging rights and the occasional Legendary Battle with friends. Now, I'm not going to even use starter Pokemon. As I say in my sig:
"Legendaries and Starters are for NOOBS!"

Pokemon Trainer Blue

Smell ya later!
My first balanced team was in Pokemon XD, but after that in Pearl. I relied on my Empoleon to Surf over the opposition. HeartGold was almost worse because of the fact that you could trade immediately, so I imported old Pokemon I wanted to train and never really got attached to them. I think I've had my "Pokepiphany" in Black, where I trained a balanced team of Unovans, and then post Elite 4, for the most part really stuck with them.
Is it me or is that a Shiny Mienshao in your sig?

ProdigyV3

I had my pokeiphany back in Saphire after I did everything. Switched up the team to just running with the following:
Arcanine
Salamence
Gradevoir
Manetric
Vaporeon
Dugtrio

It was sooo much more fun rather than rolling around with a Kyogre and every other Legendary.

Pokemon Trainer Blue

Smell ya later!
so true. i was like that until i heard of the monotype challenge, and EV training, which happened to be when i first heard of serebii. coincidence?
And to be honest, I don't remember getting owned by that Rayquaza considering it was 20-30 levels above my team. I didn't use a Master Ball... ;000;

shotdown911

Pokemon Dealer
Just recently, when my brother fixed my wifi I've found a new calling in pokemon trading.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Sapphire when my favorite Water type Pokemon ad 3 Water HM moves and I wanted to teach it something other than a Water type attack.

Bonier.Rope

Experienced Trainer
I did it on my first playthrough of Red, I feel I'm in a minority.

Same here, only with Blue instead. I've always been an RPG fan and I didn't even think to not play with a balanced team. I have never used legendaries...maybe a pseudo-legendary here and there (dragon types specifically) but yeah, that's about it. I did only recently discover the IV/EV training tho. I wasn't up to speed in Gen III, skipped Gen IV for the most part, and only recently started playing again just before Black/White came out. So I guess I had a Pokepiphany with that aspect of the game.

MegaMew2

5th Gen still sucks.
I had mine when I decided to start a new game on LG...
It was hard, but it was worth it. :)

WhyteMage

My first one was in FireRed. In games previous (including LG), I'd just smash through it with a starter. Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Blaziken, Swampert, Sceptile, you name it.

In FireRed however, I used a full team. And it was even easier than just using Blastoise. Especially considering this team involved many of Kanto's utter powerhouses, such as Alakazam, Arcanine, and Rhydon.

Every game after that, I also used a full team, or at least 5 and a HM slave.

pokemon player

Sylveon, tho.
When I played Sapphire with just a Swampert and a few HM Slaves. I had my pokepiphany when I couldn't defeat Glacia. From then on I used a balanced team in all my games.

Status
Not open for further replies.