• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When did you start Playing Video Games?

When did you start Playing Video Games?

• 70's

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Early 80's

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Late 80's

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Early 90's

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Late 90's

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • 2000's

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • 2010's

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I started in the mid-to late 90's, but I started playing on an Atari 2600.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
My first game was Tetris on the Game Boy back about when it first came out.

I wasn't really good at games until about early 2000's when I was trying to learn to play Smash Melee.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Cool. The Gameboy was the first new system I owned. I'm still not very good at most games, but I'm at least ok at Tetris!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Funny thing, when I first had it, I didn't know how to play Tetris properly, so I just made "sculptures".

I wouldn't call myself super-great with games, but I managed to do all chapters in F-Zero GX (a notoriously hard game) on all difficulties.
I was determined to unlock all the characters.

KillerDraco

Well considering I was born in 1989, early 90's is when my young brain was developed enough to play video games.

First game I ever played was Mega Man 2 for the NES. I mostly played NES and SNES games with friends/at daycare, but didn't own a system of my own until I got the N64 for Christmas of '96. I also got a Game Boy Pocket the next year, and the rest was history.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I believe I was 5 or 6 when I first attained a Game Boy, which was the first video game system that I played. That would've been in the very late 90's. I wasn't very good until I played Red and Blue version, though.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I specifically remember my first two video games being my brothers copy of Pokemon: Red Version and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1 on PC in 1996. I inherited an old GameBoy Color and acquired several games over the years but the system never felt like it was mine. I'd say it wasn't until 2003 once I got a GBA SP and several games that I started taking games seriously.

Fred Garvin

Drone Pilot
Had an Atari Pong in the mid-late 70’s, then a 2600. Friend had Intellivision. A buddy had an Apple IIc which we played Zork on. My ColecoVision with the Adam Computer add-on, Vic20, C64 and TRS-80 got me through college. Had an Amiga500 until the first “viable” Windows machines came out: 486DX processor based. (ran windows on a 386 but it was a dog)

I’ve had: Pong, 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Amiga 500, SNES, Sega Genesis, Gameboy, PlayStation, PS2, Vita, Xbox, Xbox360, Xbox One, DS, 3DS, 3DSXL, Switch Lite.

Yeah, been gaming a long, long time. Some of my favorite early gaming memories are of late night marathon gaming in the barracks (Army days) on the Amiga 500, playing Leisure Suit Larry, Wizardry, Space Quest, King’s Quest...and buddy had a TurboGraphx with a golf game that we played.

Late 90's. My sis got a GBC with a Mulan game in what I think was '98. I got Pokemon Blue and a GBC a year later.

Although I do remember playing some racing game on my cousin's pc a bit earlier. So the earliest could've been '96-'97.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
The first video game I played was New Super Mario Bros Wii with my dad (circa 2010? Maybe?). And then Wii Sports Resort with my friends. Good times. Then I got into Pokémon and I have never been the same since.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Well, I was born in 1991. I didn't start playing video games until I was probably 4 or 5 years of age. I do remember what my first ever game was, though. Super Mario World on the SNES was my first ever video game. I grew up with the SNES, N64 and PS1 as my dad owned all of those consoles.

The first ever console that I got to call my own was a Game Boy Color. My parents bought me a Turquoise Blue Game Boy Color with Pokemon Yellow in 1999 for my birthday. I still have all of my original Game Boy games and Game Boy Color to this very day.

My parents later on in the year bought me a Sega Genesis for Christmas. I have many fond memories of playing the Sega Smash Pack. Golden Axe, Sonic, Streets of Rage and Shinobi bring back many fond memories.

VoltTacklePikachu

yah Eevee Rocks !
Nearly 20 years ago in around spring? 2001 with the Psone(Slim PS1) when I was 9 with Spyro 2 and Evo’s Space Adventures.Remember getting it from Comet(R.I.P).

My first handheld GBA SP in Xmas 2003 with Pokemon Ruby.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Early 2000's I think, I was playing some Nintendo games I remember like some Tom and Jerry and Simpson games lol.

CrySmile

Tetris on the Game Boy - but it's hard for me to call it a video game) Super Mario when it comes to cool graphics