• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When do you believe the apocalypse will occur?

When do you believe the apocalypse will occur?

• Next 1-2 years

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Next 5-10 years

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Next 50-100+ years

Votes: 41 62.1%
  • Never

Votes: 18 27.3%

• Total voters

Indragon

Back in the USSR
I agree with the inevitable destruction by the sun. Well then Indragon your going to be in for a surprise 5 billion years from now.

Well, I thought the sun ruining things wasn't really counted. That's pretty much a guaranteed event. Before that, though, I can't really say - it's likely enough that the "apocalypse" will occur, but I can't say for sure.

See ya on a sunspot 5 billion years later, shadow wolf; just watch out for the guy with the surprised expression, shouldn't be too hard to miss.

I get the feeling Indragon was being facetious, anyhow.

And yes, I was :p

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
Downfall of civilisation: Potentially quite soon. Asteroid impacts or that nice volcano under Yellowstone ought to do it, or a big enough war, probably with nukes.

Extinction of humanity: Also could happen quite soon. The two above scenarios could cause it, along with a bunch of other stuff like a strong enough gamma ray burst, and besides, we're incredibly self-destructive AND we can't sustain our ever-growing population with the resources at hand.

Extinction of life: Probably not until the Sun's expansion heats up the planet to an insane degree, or until the actual destruction of the planet. Life as a whole tends to bounce back. The entire planet freezing over, gamma ray bursts and huge asteroids crashing into the planet are apparently not a problem.

Destruction of Earth: When the Sun goes bye-bye. Unless we manage to do it before then, somehow. Or we get on the wrong side of some sufficiently advanced aliens.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Well I was speaking about the destruction of the Earth, not humanity. To destroy the the Earth would take something massive. On humanity side, there are to many variables that apply from self-destruction to nature's work. The Earth's destruction is inevitable, and civilization, humanity, and life on Earth the mileage can vary.

Indragon I was just playing around, wasn't serious at all.

treeco123

Extinction of humanity: Also could happen quite soon. The two above scenarios could cause it, along with a bunch of other stuff like a strong enough gamma ray burst, and besides, we're incredibly self-destructive AND we can't sustain our ever-growing population with the resources at hand.
who are you calling destructive?*holding a nuclear bomb*

don't forget black holes from particle accelerators(I know it's unlikely but it is possible)and the antimatter produced by them(even more self destructive than humans)

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
don't forget black holes from particle accelerators(I know it's unlikely but it is possible)and the antimatter produced by them(even more self destructive than humans)
FOOLFOOLFOOLFOOLFOOL

This is just... sort of... no.

ANTIMATTER QUOTIENT: TINY, TINY SUBMICROSCOPIC FRACTION OF A GRAM

About as destructive as the time you put vinegar and baking soda in a pop bottle and screwed on the cap.

BLACK HOLES: WHERE ARE THEY?

I'm not at the cutting edge of physics news, but I don't think they've even detected black holes. And they would evaporate. And if they didn't (which happens to be impossible) it would take trillions of years for them to gain any tangible mass.

Humanity is far more destructive than a innocuous 27-km tube under Switzerland.

pirate555

Word.

When it comes to complicated scientific experiments, people seem to find necessity in adding an element of fear to the process of discovery. Even with nuclear testing in the 1940s, there were fears that a bomb that size could ignite every oxygen molecule in the world's atmosphere. It was a scientist who forecasted that. It still didn't happen...

~Pirate

treeco123

ANTIMATTER QUOTIENT: TINY, TINY SUBMICROSCOPIC FRACTION OF A GRAM

About as destructive as the time you put vinegar and baking soda in a pop bottle and screwed on the cap.

I'm not at the cutting edge of physics news, but I don't think they've even detected black holes. And they would evaporate. And if they didn't (which happens to be impossible) it would take trillions of years for them to gain any tangible mass.

Humanity is far more destructive than a innocuous 27-km tube under Switzerland.
Not much antimatter has been made, but one atom of it can move a grain of sand. imagine what a gram of it would do. And the black hole thing was a bit stupid, but is is possible, just very unlikely and the black holes would be smaller than atoms anyway. And in trillions of years the universe would probably have ended anyway, or it would just be a massive black hole.

pokehorse

i heart manga!!!
i think the world will die when the sun dies in about 3 trillion years.

Josiah

is your favorite
Downfall of civilisation: Potentially quite soon. Asteroid impacts or that nice volcano under Yellowstone ought to do it, or a big enough war, probably with nukes.
If I remember right, Yellowstone isn't even the biggest volcano of its kind.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
No one can accurately predict the end of the world.

Unless you count our Sun going nova, but that won't happen for a really long time.

FOOLFOOLFOOLFOOLFOOL

They've detected black holes. You can see them if they're before a star and the light seems to be split. And matter emits giant amounts a x-rays before it disappears into a black hole. They also don't need trillions of years to get a big mass, but their starting mass has to be big. I agree with the part that CERN can't make any dangerous black holes though. The ones that are created there are way to small to do anything. Just as small as those that are formed when meteors enter the atmosphere (they only last for a few nanoseconds and are barely noticeable with sensitive equipment).

Anyways, I agree with the people that said that Earth will be destroyed when the sun grows to the size of a red giant and will swallow Earth.

Riversong

Buggy down.
Well I voted "never", but that doesn't include the inevitable destruction from the sun and such. Just superstitious things like, say, the 2012 scenario. Wasn't sure what you meant.

I think mankind will be gone long before the earth is, anyways. I probably should have voted for "50-100+ years" ;P

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
whenever afrika, south america, and the middle east becomes rich and gains more power international. that oughta cause some conflicts here and there. i figure that's the point where this planet becomes too small for all of us.

Nitro123 (PG)

Needs a user title
I think it will occur when the sun burns up, about 6 billion years from now.

Aquanova

when humans make something really dangerous that can kill everyone, or some kinda space catastropy like a huge asteroid striking us, ive also heard a gamma ray burst could kill us all as well, if neither of those thing happen, id say either a super drug resistant disease, a really bad nuclear war, or massive environmental damage could also do it. We truly are not inincible. Or it could end in 2012 like the mayan clander predicts, im not gonna say that isnt true because who really knows?