• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When do you think they planned on Ash winning the Alola League?

Leonhart

Imagineer
mehmeh1 said:
Pretty sure she was told when the league began, not SM

According to the CoroCoro Online interview transcript, she was told when the writers had first started working on the Alola League episodes:

Rica Matsumoto said:
When we first started working on the Alola Pokemon League the director came up to me and said “This time we definitely want to let Satoshi win” and I was like “What? HE'S WINNING!?” And that's how I found out.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Pretty sure she was told when the league began, not SM
Ah, apologies. Back when he won the league I guess I read a wrong translation or misread it, she did say at beginning of league. Well I still think this was in the works since the beginning and in the minds of the writers, not the details but the thought process that ash would win. That's what I think

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
The Kanto episodes was likely when they forumlated the idea of Ash winning the Pokémon League if they didn't plan it from the beginning. Think about it, before the Kanto episodes, there was no indication that a Pokémon League would take place. The main goal was, after all, to graduate from Pokémon School. They could have avoided the League altogether and thus the question of Ash winning the League. Then the Kanto episodes happened and we heard about Kukui's plan to bring the Pokémon League to Alola. Suddenly, questions regarding Ash's position in the Pokémon League would inevitably be brought up and we know the last League had Ash at the Finals.

There was no going back after that. It was either victory or finals again. He could not regress back to Top 4 or Top 8 again as it would stain SM's reputation. And since everyone expresses interest to partake in the League despite the fact that many don't even have 2, let alone 3 or 6, Pokémon at hand, the competition would be much easier for Ash and the animators.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
When they realized SM was a glorified Orange Islands. They just added a little free-for-all to see who battles Drake.

I... I never stopped to think of the series from this view point but now... I does make a whole lot of sense.

Gee, OI even kind of debutted regional variants years/generations before they were a thing.

Darn, now I can't unsee SM as a glorified, more fleshed out OI. Thanks, fellow serebii member!

Leonhart

Imagineer
Shadao said:
There was no going back after that. It was either victory or finals again. He could not regress back to Top 4 or Top 8 again as it would stain SM's reputation.

I'm not quite seeing how him regressing would've been a problem though, considering that it happened before at the Isshu League. I mean other than some viewer complaints of course, but the writers don't seem to care about that very much.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I... I never stopped to think of the series from this view point but now... I does make a whole lot of sense.

Gee, OI even kind of debutted regional variants years/generations before they were a thing.

Darn, now I can't unsee SM as a glorified, more fleshed out OI. Thanks, fellow serebii member!

also, the trials are similar to the fact that OI gyms were different. Btw, I'm pretty sure it's the SM games that drew inspiration from OI, and the anime was just forced to work with what was in the games

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
also, the trials are similar to the fact that OI gyms were different. Btw, I'm pretty sure it's the SM games that drew inspiration from OI, and the anime was just forced to work with what was in the games

I always felt they should have made DA into something like a mini OI like series atleast it ould be worth watching. TP arc should have happened before the league and after UL it should have been the I style arc of 25-30 episodes.

Shadao

I'm not quite seeing how him regressing would've been a problem though, considering that it happened before at the Isshu League. I mean other than some viewer complaints of course, but the writers don't seem to care about that very much.

Top 4 and Top 8 are nothing compared to being the finals. When you're in the finals, victory is within reach. At worst, you're the second best trainer of the League.

And let's be honest, there was a lot of problems with Best Wishes that regressing was honestly the least of their problems. And considering the next series, XY, did everything they could to make Ash badass and cool, it seems to be a response to how fans reacted to his rebooted personality in BW. As well as the fact they didn't give Ash Top 4 in XY but rather put him in the finals with Alain.

And for the record, it's not the writers who are calling the shot. It's the director. We're just only now realizing the impact they had on the anime series with Tetsuo Yajima and Daiki Tomiyasu being prominently shown in interviews these days.

DatsRight

It's hard to really predict with SM in these factors since not only did it almost compulsively break the old formulas at random times but it did so in such a matter of fact way. Hell they weren't even cautious enough with their preview resources so as not to spoil it before it aired.

XY seemed like the series where EVERYTHING was building up to Ash's big victory, while SM if anything had LOTS of stuff to fall back on if the main arc failed in the same formulaic way. Even if Ash lost, the majority of his involvement in Alola didn't even involve the league and he still made other long term accomplishments like catching his first Mythical Pokemon.

The announcement of the setup of the league I'd say made it more clear Ash was gonna win, since Kukui's final challenge seemed practically built for him and Torracat, with no one else having nearly the same personal motivation besides maybe Guzma. Anything before then is hard to say though. May have been as simple as them going at one point 'Hey we've broke so many other trends, why not this one?' at some point.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
My impression is that they planned on Ash winning, or at least strongly considered having him win at the very latest after they saw the backlash over the Kalos League, though I think that the backlash to the Kalos League resulted in more than Ash simply winning the League. I also think that seeing every battle in the League as well as having Ash actually beat Kukui in the exhibition match may have also resulted from the backlash over the Kalos League.

Leonhart

Imagineer
ash&charizardfan said:
I always felt they should have made DA into something like a mini OI like series atleast it ould be worth watching. TP arc should have happened before the league and after UL it should have been the I style arc of 25-30 episodes.

I think the Plasma-dan arc should've been shorter. I didn't necessarily mind that it happened after the Isshu League, I just wish it had been only a few episodes long instead of it taking up a dozen episodes and mostly featuring very vapid storytelling and a disappointing finale.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
From the beginning taking into account Alola did not have a regional league to begin with.

Flashyspark

My impression is that they planned on Ash winning, or at least strongly considered having him win at the very latest after they saw the backlash over the Kalos League

Why do people keep saying this? What would the director have to gain from giving into fan anger 3 whole years after the Kalos League ended? Most of the core demographic that got pissed off about Ash losing there would've moved on from the show by the time that the Alola League happened and the only other group of people who still complain about the Kalos League loss are older fans whom the director and his staff probably care nothing about.

Shadao

Why do people keep saying this? What would the director have to gain from giving into fan anger 3 whole years after the Kalos League ended? Most of the core demographic that got pissed off about Ash losing there would've moved on from the show by the time that the Alola League happened and the only other group of people who still complain about the Kalos League loss are older fans whom the director and his staff probably care nothing about.

Move on? When Kotaku is always making predictions of Ash losing the League every time a League is about to begin, it's hard for anyone to move from the show.

People can leave for years yet still come back when the big events occurred like a Pokémon League.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
You gotta love we've been waiting so much for Ash to win a league... And it had to be that league.

I'm not in the band who throws a tantrum about "it's not a real leagueeee!!!1!!!" but I do admit it feels kind of lackluster Ash's first league was the one who was handled like Alola's.

Pokemonfan5

I think they decided it from season 1, you can clearly see that Ash connection with Alola region is far bigger than any others, he is living here like it's his home, even in episode 20 he said "I love Alola region*,

SM break so many trends of past series that it's not surprising now that Ash winning the league is one of them.

Ash never loses to his main rival of the series in league and there is whole build up for Pikachu Vs Tapu Koko battle since episode 1 and SM can't end without finishing Torracat rivalry with Incineroar, also in every series Ash always had better placement in league than past series (except Unova which is probably because it was completely rewritten because of natural disaster) so Ash winning the league is the only way Ash can surpass his placement in Kalos league or either lose in finals like how Ash was top 8 which is similar to Johto league.

Even than we can see from games part too, in SM/USUM Alola first ever champion was someone who come from Kanto to live in Alola region just like Ash, in USUM Kukui was talking about Alola champion become world champion one day (something like that) so I think Ash winning the league and participating in world championship in next series was decided very long ago, probably in 2017.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
You gotta love we've been waiting so much for Ash to win a league... And it had to be that league.

I'm not in the band who throws a tantrum about "it's not a real leagueeee!!!1!!!" but I do admit it feels kind of lackluster Ash's first league was the one who was handled like Alola's.

I can understand if the league felt lackluster but imo alola was the perfect region for ash to become champion considering how much alola was like a second home to ash and how much he embraced and learned from alolas culture

Epicocity

I can understand if the league felt lackluster but imo alola was the perfect region for ash to become champion considering how much alola was like a second home to ash and how much he embraced and learned from alolas culture
My personal problem with the read is that to get this "second home" feeling, it felt kind of rammed down the viewer's throat. Like Ash was railroaded into making this a supposed second home and that he supposedly loves Alola more than anywhere else. It makes it feel less natural and more like, well, what I say about the Alola League in general: Ash was gonna win and they were gonna employ anything necessary to make sure it happened, regardless of being a good decision or not. That they had to completely shift the genre and strip Ash's wanderlust in order to make their "second home" setup just reinforces the matter.

So, I don't know if I'd call it perfect when it's blatantly engineered to be so rather than a result of a natural occurrence.