• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When Dreams Fade

I

Indigo

Well, here's another one of my crazy, unexplainable, spur-of-the-moment thingies. Hope you guys enjoy it.

~***~
I walked, staring at my feet. They kept moving onward, but my heart told me to stop. I couldn't explain the feeling; sort of determined, yet...defeated. Nothing made sense anymore.

I should have been happy: I'd just won an entire Pokémon League with almost everyone in the world watching my every move, among them my mom, my mentor, and my best friends. I had done what was said to be impossible: I defeated one of the most enormous Pokémon at a dual disadvantage. My very best friend and I had celebrated, tears and all, listening to the cheers I've waited to hear my whole life. Why then, was I walking away from it all? I'd trained so hard, I'd won, I'd done everything I'd ever wanted. What was missing?

I clenched my fists. They lay loose at my sides, instead of in front of my face. There was no small creature beside me, or on my shoulder. No one was beside me as my hat covered my eyes, something I had been ashamed to do in a very long time.

What was next for me? I felt too empty to go home, yet no motive to carry on. I had really acheived my dream, and I should've been celebrating it with my friends. Maybe they would have a new place for me to go...

No! I had to keep going away from them!

But it made no sense...no sense at all...

Emotions gripped my throat. I could hardly breathe.

Nothing seemed the same anymore...

"Ash!"

A familiar voice called my name. I would've turned around to greet her happily, as I've always done, but some strange wall barred her from me.

"Ash!" she repeated.

The familiar red-haired girl ran to catch up with me, her conflower top flying in the wind. I felt her presence beside me, but it wasn't comforting. It was...annoying, somehow. I had never felt this way before, and it frustrated me.

"Hey, what's the matter, Ash?" she asked, reaching to pull my chin up. I was greeted by a cheery face, but she couldn't have seen the same thing.

"I...I don't know," I replied in a scratchy voice, almost as if I'd cried. But I hadn't...I didn't want her to think I had.

Soon I heard multiple footsteps coming up behind me. The loud, slow steps were surely Brock's, the light, yet clumsy steps were Max's, May had her fast, booming steps, and the light pitter-patter was the sound of Pikachu coming to meet me. I picked up my smallest friend, who looked at me with solemn eyes.

"You're sad," Pikachu told me in the language only we could understand. "What happened?"

I only shook my head at him. For some strange reason, I wanted to be left alone.

"Ash, what's up?" Brock's deep voice added to the mix.

"I don't know!" I yelled, to the surprise of my friends, as well as myself. "I don't know, okay? I just need some time alone! God, do you guys have lives?"

Everyone was taken back, and an inner voice, my voice, scolded me harshly.

"Ash, what the heck is going on?" Max's juvenile voice questioned.

I sighed, my sanity somewhat returned. "I'm going through a rough patch. I don't want your help. Leave me alone to deal with it. Goodbye."

That was definitely not me talking, was it? But clearly it was, because I kept walking on, my head down, my shoes scuffing the dirt. Pikachu followed me, which was okay for some reason, and I felt a surge of something I had once knew before: sadness.

Tears rushed down my cheeks: tears of joy, of confusion, of adolescence. All the things I had done, all the amazing things...meant nothing now. It was over. There was nothing to live for.

I couldn't think straight, so I didn't. My Pokémon flashed before my eyes, each and every one, a vision I couldn't explain.

"I think I'll go get Pidgeot..." I said bluntly, almost robotically. Pikachu looked at me in confusion, and then I added, "or Lapras. Maybe Primeape."

This was all a dream, surely. But I knew I couldn't keep thinking these things. I would go...somewhere...and get myself straight. If I was changing, I had to change along with me.

I threw my hat on the ground, feeling relieved for some reason...relieved of childhood memories...of determination...of dreams...

I left my hat there and kept walking. Pikachu didn't say anything. We walked, and walked, and walked.

To this day I haven't found a place to stop, a place that felt right. Someday, maybe, I'll become the real Ash Ketchum: the one I used to be.

My friends haven't come looking for me. But maybe, for the first time...I will look for them.

A day will come when I will return to whoever I was. Until then, I'll do what it was I did in the first place: do whatever I told me to.

Ladyumbra

... ..no comment
*dances* neatness ashy boy is growing up realising you can't play trainer forever you either have to take your tiranign further or move on in life. and pidgeot yes yes go get back your pokemon you've abandoned you little ..grr. anyways i loved this loved it muchly i think brock would have follwed ahs thuogh he has too much of a parental lookign after thign to let ash wander completly alone

Dragonfree

Just me
This was wonderful. Ash was not really like himself, but that was the whole point, so... ^^; Very deep and emotional.

I

Indigo

You guys are kidding...right? You're kidding. Really? This didn't fail miserably? I was almost sure it...my God! *pie.*

Okay, my stupid assumptions aside, I'm really glad you guys liked this! It makes me very happy! ^^

I've never done Ash, so I was wondering what would happen if I wrote in his perspective and...wow. Still weirded out. Okay, thank you guys! *pie again.*

T

Treecko 93

Ditto to what Dragonfree said. I think this is one of those deep, you-can't-be-literal-or-else-you-won't-understand-anything fics. It was written well, and it made me want to read until the end.

Nice job, Indy!

I

Indigo

Thanks, Treecko! *pie.*

Yes...I'm doing...something...right! That's a good change.

Well, thanks for your input, guys. Any other reviews are welcome!

...I know you're reading, people...

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Ooooh, very nice, I've been into one shots recently, I can tell you, no, you did not fail miserably. *goes back, reads wherwe Indigo said that, and Animé falls* lol, this is like quite a few others I've read (Murgatroyd's "What do I do now?, Dragonfree's "Pokémon Master"... well, no not really, hers was more to introduce how Ash realized Pokémon were equal and...) but at the same time, it's unique with its nice touch of depth and emotion. Great job, pie for you seeing as you gave all of your other pie away!
Quote by Spongebob: "Everyone loves pie!"

~Chibi~;249;

Breezy

Wow, nice . . . ^^ Very powerful, packed a punch.

Loved how you didn't make it like where Ash was all chippy and happy that he won but more depressed now that he doesn't have a dream to strive for.

Hmm, that's basically it though I do think that in the end Ash's friends would look for him but that would totally ruin the mood. =P

LaTeR dAyZ!

I

Indigo

Thanks, guys! ^^ *pie.*

Well, I realized this fic didn't get to its one-month pruning, and quite frankly I don't want it to, 'cause I did something right this time! Also, I do believe this should be moved to Completed Fics...

Reviews are always welcome! ^^

~Indigo

E

Ember

I loved that story! It was very well written, and something about it caught my interest. I love how you made Ash feel like he had no dream to go for anymore and that he wanted to go and get back some of his other pokemon.