• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When Making a Team: Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

appelpower

Sinnoh Champion
I don't think Tentacruel is the best Pokemon to use to demonstrate this point because its Attack is only base 10 lower than its Special Attack stat, and as a result of this, its Sludge Bomb is its 4th most powerful attack. Surf, Hydro Pump and Hyper Beam are all stronger than Sludge Bomb, however Hyper Beam isn't useable, and you don't need to use both Hydro Pump and Surf. This leaves Sludge Bomb as Tentacruel's 2nd choice of an offensive move, which, in turn, makes Swords Dance a viable move to use on a Tentacruel.

The best example I can think of off the top of my head is Growth on Flareon. Flareon's Special Attack is noticeably lower than its Attack stat, and when Flareon wants to fit Shadow Ball, Return, Iron Tail and Hidden Power into its moveset, Growth, solely to power up Fire Blast, isn't a clever idea. Tentacruel has room for things like Substitute and Swords Dance due to a bad movepool.

Your guide is pretty darn awesome though. Some guides use a ton of complicated mathematics in, which scares off new Pokemon players. This one on the other hand, is quite simple, yet can give the reader a fabulous team if they abide by your advice. :)

Anyways, I hope my suggestions help.

Note that your comment on Tentacruel only applies in Gen 2; in Gen 1, Tentacruel has a whopping 50 base Special (Attack) more than it has base Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.