• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When Pokémon Worlds Collide (471)

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I do wonder if Paul's Chimchar was the same from Rowan's lab. But wouldn't Piplup recognized Chimchar?, Speaking of which is Ash's Starly the same one Paul released? I wasn't sure if he was. (And how come Starly doesn't seem to recognize Paul if so)

It was good to see the battle between Paul and Ash, I guess every trainer has a different way to train, although Paul's way doesn't look very nice. I like his pokedex though, pity you can't make yours black in the games.

Meowth is actually right when he says we been poaching Pikachu for long as you have been alive. 10 years, Dawn just turned 10 so that sounds pretty much right, when Ash started his journey Dawn was probably just born (May was probably like 3/4/5 years old, Max probably wasn't born yet)
TR"s new motto... I never really liked it, it sounds kinda stupid I think they should have stuck with Prepare for Trouble and Make it Double.

Nice to see Dawn and Ash finally catch up

wind21

Well, this will be a rather dull post, since the highlight of this episode is Ash's and Paul's battle, and that's been analyzed very, very well already. When watching this the first time, I think there were 2 things I really liked about it. First was Ash using Aipom in his battle against Paul- I'm more used to Ash using fast pokemon or one of the elemental types (fire, water, grass, electric), so it was fun seeing him work with a normal type whose best offensive move is focus punch, requiring good timing and sort of a different style. Add to that Aipom actually did win, and it was cool. Also enjoyed Dawn cheering for Ash right after, b/c of why she did it, since he was just the person she knew (and not because he was the hero or cool guy). The way the introductions were done for Ash, Brock, and Dawn were well done in that Ash was just a trainer from Pallet Town and Brock was the former gym leader. I really believe it's set the tone for this region in that Ash's previous league achievements and Battle Frontier are put behind him. It's great that he accomplished those things, but he doesn't need to bring them up since if he really deserved those distinctions, they will show up in his battling style. I make this point b/c I sort of feel that Ash's inability to use Charizard at the Kanto league was something that stuck with him for awhile in the Jhoto region, and then Charizard's loss to Blaziken at the Jhoto league was brought up by Max in Hoenn when Ash first tried to challenge Norman -plus I think Max referred to Ash's Jhoto league's result when Ash lost in the Hoenn league. From things like that, I got the impression that Ash was tied to his previous league result, instead of really enjoying the new region.
This feeling made Ash's draw to Paul, a seemingly newbie trainer, more bearable for me. I really enjoyed the battle, and overall I think it's one of the top ones in Sinnoh so far.

saar

Shiny Flygon
Paul was definitely stronger in his first match VS Ash. He was better even when he had a Starley that he had just caught, and his Elekid should have won. It's good that Ash realized he needs to improve.^^

~Platinum~

<- Caught it!
I do wonder if Paul's Chimchar was the same from Rowan's lab. But wouldn't Piplup recognized Chimchar?, Speaking of which is Ash's Starly the same one Paul released? I wasn't sure if he was. (And how come Starly doesn't seem to recognize Paul if so?)

No, Paul caught Chimchar in the wild after watching it use it's Blaze ability to take down a pack of Zangoose. And Ash's Starly was not caught and released by Paul.

Now back to this episode. Ash and Dawn finally meet and Ash has his first of many future battles against Paul. The battle, which ends in a tie, really wasn't all that impressive when we compare it to Ash's and Paul's future battles and we now know that Paul is not a beginning trainer and has more impressive pokemon on his team than Elekid, Chimchar, and Starly. It's also evidence that Pikachu's strength has "reset" as it does at the beginning of each new saga like it soon will in BW. Oh well. I guess defeating the Battle Pyramid one episode and then tying with and Elekid about ten episodes later is just how this show works :/ But overall a decent episode and a good way to properly introduce Paul, who soon becomes one of the most simultaneously hated/loved rivals of the entire show.

RickHoenn

Banned
Another amazing episode for Sinnoh! I remember I was so excited seeing Paul & Ash rivalry, it was fresh Ash got a rival as great as Gary.

Ash finally got his DP clothes and Pikachu back, The first battle between Paul & Ash was cool, even Paul released his starly, He treated so bad Chimchar and his Elekid has his attitude.

A tie was fine for their 1st battle. and it begins the coolest rivalry ever in the series. :D

10/10

Well, this Paul guy seems like he will make battles between him and Ash really fierce and intense. What with how differently he treats his Pokemon. And, Ash, Brock and Dawn finally get to have a proper introduction to one another.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Paul is just the trainer of my type.... The way his Elekid took Pikachu's thunder and used it to charge itself was amazing

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok... It was cool to see an Ash vs Paul battle, even though it ended in a tie. It was interesting how Elekid used Pikachu's Thunder attack to charge up and be more powerful. It was upsetting to see Paul release Starly after the battle. Aipom did well in its battle against Chimchar. Wasn't surprised that Ash's Starly lost to Paul's Starly.

50/100

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
Paul's certainly no Gary, and definitely Ash's opposite. He releases Pokémon without even giving them a chance. And he insults them when they win.

Nice first battle to start a rivalry. A draw that Ash wouldn't accept.

Ash reunites with Pikachu and gets new clothes, and Dawn and Brock start traveling with him. Thus ends the first of many chapters in the darkest saga to date. 9/10.

^ Err....."Darkest saga to date"?

Last edited:
I'm glad Paul didn't keep the Starly, because then there would be yet another Staraptor. -_-

Great that Ash reclaimed Pikachu finally. Here, Chimchar seems like a completely random pokemon they decided to plop onto Paul's team. Boy was I wrong.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I just finished watching this as well. It's a pretty awesome episode. Ash, Dawn, and Brock meet for the 1st time and we get to see an awesome battle between Ash and Paul.
I give this episode a 10/10 as well!

Sinnoh Ash

Electrifying Hair
The start of my favorite adventure. Brings back so many memories. The battle between Paul&Ash is just Great. Loved the episode.

WhyHelloThere

Great episode. Paul is my favorite rival. The other rivalries were kind of boring. Dawn meets Ash and Brock for the first time, and the monkey makes his first appearence. Too bad he was knocked out by Aipom.

It would have been nice if Paul was a dark and ghost type user. It would have suited his personality.

Well, there was Honchkrow, Weavile and Froslass.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
So I'm doing a DP run through this summer because I miss watching the show and since I own all the episodes on DVD it makes it a lot easier. I've reached episode 3, and man I gotta say, I remember enjoying this episode, Ash Vs Paul was great! I like the set up of the match, Bird Vs Bird, Monkey Vs Monkey and Electric Vs Electric. I remember being so intrigued by Paul's character at this stage, he was brilliant, fantastic episode.

NPT

Just a member
I Loved this episode! it was a really well-done episode in my opinion. Ash's first encounter with Paul was good, although Paul releasing two of his newly caught Starly was a jerk move. If he was going release them, why did he catch them in the first place? I liked Ash telling Paul off for releasing the Starly, too bad he didn't listen to him. Geez, talk about being ignorant.

Ash and Dawn's first meeting was great too. It was awesome how Ash jumped on Team Rocket's robot and starts Climbing it like a boss. I loved Dawn reaction to Ash's heroism, she seemed surprised and worried at the same time. It was nice to see Ash finally reuniting with Pikachu, and then thanking Dawn for saving it. Just as Ash, Dawn and Brock were introducing themselve to each other.... they were apporached by Officer Jenny. As expected, Brock grabbed the pretty Officer Jenny's hands and started flirting with her. Dawn's reaction to Brock's flirting habit was priceless. xD

Ash's new outfit was cool, and I think it looks better than his AG outfit. The conversation between Ash and his mom was nice, it's a relief that she didn't mention anything about his underwear. I hated how 4kids made her say something like "don't forget to change your underwear" in the past, thankfully TPCi decided to stick closer to the japanese dialouge instead of making her say some kind of stupid comment about his underwear.

The battle between Ash and Paul was pretty good.... but his Elekid seemed a bit overpowered. How the heck it matched Pikachu, who defeated one of Brandon's regi not so long ago? That makes no sense. Oh well, at least Aipom did well in its battle against Chimchar. The battle ended in draw, but it started the beginning of a brand new rivalry between Ash and Paul. Lol, Who knew that Paul would turn out be a way better rival that Gary?

Overall, this was a great start of an awesome series. Good to see Dawn deciding to travel with Ash and Brock. Even though Dawn said that she wants to travel with them to interact with Pikachu, she'd interact with Ash a lot in the later episodes.

Last edited:
Trainers like Paul in the show always made me wish there was a rival like him in DPPT. I've always like those kinds of rivals the best, because it's so satisfying when you beat them. :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I really liked the idea of Paul catching three Starly and only keeping the best one while releasing the others. It was so practical of him. I liked how Dawn showed enthusiasm when she saw Ash talking to Professor Oak, and Ash and Paul's battle was pretty good minus Ash's Pikachu tying with Paul's Elekid in my opinion. For once I wanted Pikachu to slay.