• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When will Guzma appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Some of you are being a little harsh on TS. Yes, they were bumbling losers in the games...but the Show has made it even worse. x_x

Though the real problem is that ALL the bad guys suck this saga except the TRio :confused:
Lusamine was demoted from bad to misguided (even more so than her game counterpart), Faba went from sinister to stupid overnight, Viren is the exact opposite of Hunter J, and even the Matori Squad bungled and sucked.

The screenwriters clearly have little interest in a plot or story this saga, so it looks like any and all antagonists are going to kind of suck (except Giovanni(?)). So yeah, Guzma's chances aren't very good, and even if he does show up he'll likely be less of an antagonist (especially since he helped out against Rainbow Rocket in the games). I'll bet even money he'll be more of a rival.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I doubt Guzma is going to appear, and in all honesty I hope he doesn't appear, because I am sure the writer's would butcher his character like they did all the others.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In truth, I'm shocked that people even care for him since he was simply a puppet of Lusamine's in the games. He might show up at the League, although likely as a low-tier opponent.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I doubt Guzma is going to appear, and in all honesty I hope he doesn't appear, because I am sure the writer's would butcher his character like they did all the others.

I disagree. Honestly the trial captains were all ranging from somewhere to super forgettable to really irritating. The only Caps I actually liked in the games were Ilima, Acerola and Mina.

Whereas in the anime, Lana (my absolute least favourite captain from the games) is currently one of my favourites and Kiawe (easily the most forgettable) is my second favorite. Mallow is still pretty eh but I don't hate her in the anime. I think the anime does a good job of making them likable. I even felt way more connected to Lusamine, though I think both her game and anime interpretations have their strengths. Her anime version is more of an emotional "mother who doesn't know how to connect with her kids but she means well", while her game self is a better villain.

In my opinion, the anime versions of the trial captains is a much better interpretation, though I think making them lose that "trial captain" title was a bad move.

In truth, I'm shocked that people even care for him since he was simply a puppet of Lusamine's in the games. He might show up at the League, although likely as a low-tier opponent.

But HE'S YA BOY! :p I think he has a lot of character and would love to see the anime version of him.

Epicocity

It's likely because people don't see Guzma as just a puppet of Lusamine's, because that focuses on the role at the expense of his story. I'm sure plenty of people liked that Guzma was almost sympathetic. He had failed in his own dream and, like Team Skull, was an outcast of society until Lusamine came and gave him that purpose and respect he longed for. People liked that about him, along with his personality, so it's no surprise people would want to see him.

However, I'd rather they just leave him out since they'd remove any nuance his character had at this point, especially since the trials aren't that important to anime!Alola culture, compared to games. Team Skull are just a bunch of losers without the backstory now, so they lose what made them extra fascinating in the games.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So do those of you who think Guzma won't appear just think that Team Skull will be left alone with no resolution like the other teams had?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So do those of you who think Guzma won't appear just think that Team Skull will be left alone with no resolution like the other teams had?
I think they'll resolve in a half-ass way much like they did to the lackluster built-up of the Team Magma/Team Aqua storyline, treating like Guzma is a character of the day and then completely forget about the events and the characters that conspired there altogether the next episode after.

04n70n10

One thing is if Guzma (and Plumeria) will appear in the future, another is, in affirmative case, will he be an important character? For the latter, I think no becouse ,without the evil part of the Aether Foundation, Team Skull is an empty shell. And the anime staff already used the revelant parts of SM and USUM plots. Team Skull alone doesn't have a particular plan of world domination/destruction/recreation/LOL in the games, so in the anime for now they are nothing more than random thugs.

So for now I'm for (maybe) 1-2 special episodes focused for some reason at Po town, the capital of Team skull, in... case.

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Its around 100 episodes so now i have my doubts about guzma or anyone from team skull even appearing.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Its around 100 episodes so now i have my doubts about guzma or anyone from team skull even appearing.
Archie and Maxie debuted in episode 97, Cyrus debuted in episode 96, Ghetsis debuted in episode 112, and Lysandre debuted in episode 94.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I think team skull will have more screen time closer to the league, I could see them wanting to disrupt the first one as it pertains to the trials that they couldn’t finish so they’d be even more angry when a league is created to celebrate the island challenges even more and make the whole thing even bigger.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Archie and Maxie debuted in episode 97, Cyrus debuted in episode 96, Ghetsis debuted in episode 112, and Lysandre debuted in episode 94.

Archie, maxieand cyrus were part of 4 years series so they had time in there hands whereas lysandre was already a character appearing in specials so we kenw him , whereas ghtesis was also there in banned two parter of TR vs TP, besides all these guys were main villains whereas guzma is not a main villain of alola that is lusamine, though i am hoping he appears. Since all my predictions are going wrong so i am going to make negative prediction so it will be right this time.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Archie, maxieand cyrus were part of 4 years series so they had time in there hands whereas lysandre was already a character appearing in specials so we kenw him , whereas ghtesis was also there in banned two parter of TR vs TP, besides all these guys were main villains whereas guzma is not a main villain of alola that is lusamine, though i am hoping he appears. Since all my predictions are going wrong so i am going to make negative prediction so it will be right this time.
I agree with everything you said except about Archie and Maxie. While AG was 4 years, the Hoenn arc was only 3 years.

DatsRight

Some of you are being a little harsh on TS. Yes, they were bumbling losers in the games...but the Show has made it even worse. x_x

Though the real problem is that ALL the bad guys suck this saga except the TRio :confused:
Lusamine was demoted from bad to misguided (even more so than her game counterpart), Faba went from sinister to stupid overnight, Viren is the exact opposite of Hunter J, and even the Matori Squad bungled and sucked.

The screenwriters clearly have little interest in a plot or story this saga, so it looks like any and all antagonists are going to kind of suck (except Giovanni(?)). So yeah, Guzma's chances aren't very good, and even if he does show up he'll likely be less of an antagonist (especially since he helped out against Rainbow Rocket in the games). I'll bet even money he'll be more of a rival.

I don't think bungling antagonists are bad, they're just a different sort of villain. The deeper problem is that most of the villains are bungling for the sake of making them an easy plot device rather than having an interesting dynamic. Only a handful of times has TR and TS being bungling made for a funny chemistry and faceoff with the heroes otherwise said bungling exists only to make their face-offs really one sided and easy to write whenever they run out of material for the twerps to do.

This is a big cause of my apathy with the show's villains, even the ones that are MEANT to be threats, they don't really have any meaningful chemistry with the heroes and most of the time they don't even put up a memorable fight (hell I feel like half the time battles are woven intentionally so the twerps suffer as minimal violence and effort as possible nowadays). They are just a very simple dilemma that can be just as easily resolved so the heroes have something, no matter how bland and meaningless, to do. The writers are no good at grey or complicated situations, they dumb down most of the bad guys from the games to be one note evil and not evil at all, and whenever the twerps are faced with something more complicated one of them will butt in and make it about them. It's something I feel the writers have utter apathy for but can't resist using because it's such a convenient writers short cut for an ever running show with a limited production time frame (eg. TR somehow being responsible for the Florges arc, Faba being made the villain of the Nebby arc and then just being forgotten about as a bad guy).

This is why I'm not really sure whether to care about Guzma because even if they adapt him accurately, I doubt he'll have any different dynamic with the heroes from the other bad guys. He'll be nasty and bad guy-ish, the heroes will call him out for being such, he'll get curb stomped (if he's lucky he might 'worf' one good guy before getting curb stomped, either way there's rarely a developed even handed battle), and he'll be swept out of the picture because he's served his purpose as a plot device.

It's interesting that the Ultra Guardian missions are perhaps the nearest to a subversion of this, since the UB are antagonists, but not villains or generic monsters. The writers actually play on the fact they have personalities and the heroes can't just beat them conventionally, using more complicated strategies or moments of empathy. Guzma however isn't a UB.

Last edited:

Epicocity

I think team skull will have more screen time closer to the league, I could see them wanting to disrupt the first one as it pertains to the trials that they couldn’t finish so they’d be even more angry when a league is created to celebrate the island challenges even more and make the whole thing even bigger.
Considering Team Skull has been changed from"failed trial-goers" to just "bad guys who suck at everything", I don't think the League will matter to them. The trials certainly don't matter as much as in the games.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Considering Team Skull has been changed from"failed trial-goers" to just "bad guys who suck at everything", I don't think the League will matter to them. The trials certainly don't matter as much as in the games.

Yeah exactly. Ash himself doesn't seem to give a s*** about the trials, so no point suddenly shoehorning Team Skull into the whole trials issue. As for Guzma, I do believe he will appear (though at this point in the series, I'd rather he not, since there's no reason anymore). I don't think he'll be used for any proper arc, and instead, appear once in a while in filler episodes as Team Skull's boss who has a score to settle with the gang.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I don't think he'll be used for any proper arc, and instead, appear once in a while in filler episodes as Team Skull's boss who has a score to settle with the gang.
I think this would have been a more likely opinion near the beginning of the generation. Now that it's been so long without his appearance, I actually do think that if he appeared it would be in an arc, because what would be the point now of having him appear in random fillers.. if he's just going to appear in random fillers.. why hasn't he been doing so all gen long?

Status
Not open for further replies.