• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

When you surfed, did you encounter about 60 Tentacools before getting back on land?

Cablez

swaggot
God, Tentacools should be removed from this game. Remember the golden days (R/B/Y) when virtually no water Pokémon appeared when surfing? Yeah. That was the life.

When I surf, even if I turn around staying in the same spot I encounter a Pokémon

Rezzo

Occasionally
^ Yeah I know! Sometimes when I was doing the Missingno. Glitch it would take me literally five mins to actually encounter something. Then RSE I'm getting hit by friggin Tentacools left right and centre. I got excited when a Pelipper came though :p

SoopahScizor

The Master of Scizor
God, Tentacools should be removed from this game. Remember the golden days (R/B/Y) when virtually no water Pokémon appeared when surfing? Yeah. That was the life.

When I surf, even if I turn around staying in the same spot I encounter a Pokémon

I love the good ol' days

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Getting to Sootopolis is fun... right guys...?

RifleAvenger

See you starside
Tentacool on the water, zubat scream in caves, and also that stupid tunnel with nothing but Whismur in it. Still, even the newer games seem to have high random encounter rates in places.

I'm just glad pokemon elected to confine the random encounters to certain areas anyways, instead of taking 2+ decades to do it, like Dragon Quest...

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Tentacool on the water, zubat scream in caves, and also that stupid tunnel with nothing but Whismur in it. Still, even the newer games seem to have high random encounter rates in places.

I'm just glad pokemon elected to confine the random encounters to certain areas anyways, instead of taking 2+ decades to do it, like Dragon Quest...

Oh yeah... that Whismur cave...

The encounter rates were raised starting in HG/SS. Which has proven to be extremely annoying, for me.

AwesomeSauce117

Nostalgia Addict
*has Vietnam flashback of Tentacool enounters on Emerald*

SoopahScizor

The Master of Scizor

NomadSPG

4th Gen. Dragon '88
I did. Every two "steps", TENTACOOL!!!

i think, that was good for eventual random shiny and that was boring and interesting in trip also;p

Aquarelle

Staff member
I usually use Repels when surfing, but when I want to surf a really small distance (so small that it's not worth wasting a Repel), I always seem to run into something every other step.

I found it annoying at the time, but now I find it nowhere near annoying as in BW, where I seem to find a Pokemon every. freaking. step.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think the Zubat/Golbat in caves were a lot worse than the Tentacool in the sea. I found myself exploring a lot more caves than sea routes, though, so that might explain why I dislike them more than I dislike the Tentacool. Repels really did come in handy and I wonder why most people didn't think of using them. They weren't too expensive, so I would stock up on tons of them before I had to head out to sea.

Shuckle

EverydayI'mShucklin'
The first hundred Tentacools were the worst. And the second hundred, they were the worst, too. The third hundred Tentacools I didn't enjoy at all.

After that, it just went into a bit of a decline.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I think the Zubat/Golbat in caves were a lot worse than the Tentacool in the sea. I found myself exploring a lot more caves than sea routes, though, so that might explain why I dislike them more than I dislike the Tentacool. Repels really did come in handy and I wonder why most people didn't think of using them. They weren't too expensive, so I would stock up on tons of them before I had to head out to sea.

I just never used to spend my money on anything other than Full Restores and Poke Balls.

SoopahScizor

The Master of Scizor
I just never used to spend my money on anything other than Full Restores and Poke Balls.

Same here. Ive only used about 2 or 3 repels in the past 6 months. Only when I find them though.