• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where can I get Pokémon Special 1 Chuang Yi?

Darkxninga

Honestly I think you would be saving yourself A LOT of trouble just buying the 2nd edition of Viz. While they are edits they are really small and insignificant (they are much closer to the japanese version then their first print, minus a joke or two) and you wouldn't have to jump through several hoops and pay through your nose in order to buy them. The only downside is waiting for the later volumes to be released.

yeah i know, but CY is already at volume 34 while viz is 10. For me, i dont wanna wait that long because i could be waitting for someone on ebay or something to sell an affordable 30+ set of P.A by that time.( Dont get me wrong i already seen them a B&N but.... erm....yeah i just like CY a little better.) I seen people do it, but those chances go by FAST. Right now, Im just patiently waitting cause Santas comin to town~

blob

Honestly I think you would be saving yourself A LOT of trouble just buying the 2nd edition of Viz. While they are edits they are really small and insignificant (they are much closer to the japanese version then their first print, minus a joke or two) and you wouldn't have to jump through several hoops and pay through your nose in order to buy them. The only downside is waiting for the later volumes to be released.

The only old issue I need is Volume 1, and I've been buying Pokémon Adventures for years, and it'd be even more expensive if I buy the Second edition of everything!
Plus, I don't like the new Viz covers, or the made up summery at the back.

Last edited:

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
The only old issue I need is Volume 1, and I've been buying Pokémon Adventures for years, and it'd be even more expensive if I buy the Second edition of everything!
Plus, I don't like the new Viz covers, or the made up summery at the back.

Not the second edition of everything, just the volume you need.

A summary is a summary. Unless it was talking about Puff the magic dragon and his friend the unicorn fart instead of the actual manga it's not "made up"

If you don't like the covers then I'm not going to try and convince you that you should since everyone has different tastes, but at the same time I just find it difficult to understand why it would be important enough to go through this process and have to pay a lot of money when you could just go to a bookstore, order it if they don't already have it, and it would be less then $10

blob

Not the second edition of everything, just the volume you need.

A summary is a summary. Unless it was talking about Puff the magic dragon and his friend the unicorn fart instead of the actual manga it's not "made up"

If you don't like the covers then I'm not going to try and convince you that you should since everyone has different tastes, but at the same time I just find it difficult to understand why it would be important enough to go through this process and have to pay a lot of money when you could just go to a bookstore, order it if they don't already have it, and it would be less then $10

Did you just make a Puff the Magic Dragon reference... if you even know what that is? Unicorn Fart?

The Cover for Viz V2 doesn't match my Chuang Yi covers. Isn't that reason enough?

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
I did and I do.
I was trying to be funny, but as you can see I kind of suck at being funny.

That wouldn't be reason enough for me, but if it is for you then that's ok too. I wish you luck.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Here too? Don't get me wrong, I can get why you personally don't understand this, but does every Viz or Chuang Yi thread have to become a vs one? I too have my own preferences for this series, but I believe in letting people buy what they want to buy. If someone wants to get the Viz version, good for them, if someone wants to buy the Chuang Yi version, also good for them. If someone wants to buy the Japanese version, good for them. Hell, if someone wants to buy all three versions I could care less! None of the versions are truly bad and they all support the series, so I personally see no problem in letting people do what they want to do.

I actually found your joke funny. xD But while true -- they don't directly translate the Japanese summary like Chuang Yi does. Viz just kind of improvs their own short one, and try to make it sound more appealing to little kids. Not that either are too bad, but I definitely like the Japanese/Chuang Yi ones more regardless of what versions(s) I get.

Eh, people are different. Chuang Yi has just as great of a translation as Viz or any other company does for the manga, and some people find the bonuses of keeping the Japanese covers, the Japanese backsummaries, the artist and author note pictures in color and the sheer number of more volumes they have as more of a selling point for them. And you can find cheaper ones from some sellers too if you look enough. Most of the more 'honest' Chuang Yi sellers sale them for how much it cost them to buy the book and charge for the shipping. Maybe it's just me but like I said I don't really care what versions(s) people buy, and I've seen both the original Japanese, Chuang Yi and Viz ones myself. xDDDDD

blob

Hmm... I've never actually seen the back of the new Viz translations. Can someone show on to me? I want to see how much of a mess it is.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Hmm... I've never actually seen the back of the new Viz translations. Can someone show on to me? I want to see how much of a mess it is.
Really? Well let me give you Viz's second edition version of volume 7, and then Chuang Yi's to compare. If you want an actual pic of the backcover though I'll have to take a picture or scan it later. Anyways.

VizKid's second edition volume 7 backsummary:

"All your favorite Pokémon game characters jump out of the screen into the pages of this action-packed manga!

Red doesn't just want to train Pokémon, he wants to be their friend too. Read along as Red embarks on adventures with Pikachu, Bulbasaur and others that follow storylines from the videogames! On her search for famous Pokémon trainer Red, Yellow Caballero finds both human and Pokémon friends--and enemies. Now Yellow must team up with other trainers, gym leaders--and even evil Team Rocket--to fight the Elite Four!

Yellow Caballero, prepare to battle the Elite Four's top trainer Lance, ... It'll take everything you have and everybody you know to beat him!

Adventures based on the best-selling video games"

Directly from the back of my volume. And for Chuang Yi's:
"The shocking climax of the Yellow story! Yellow's deepest secret is finally revealed, but there is no time to waste, as he must still battle Lance's dragon-type Pokemon! However, can he stand up to Lance's invinicble Pokemon force with a borrowed Mewtwo and his own low-level Pokemon friends?"

I personally prefer Chuang Yi's, since it's shorter, less kiddy sounding, and translated directly from the Japanese. I also prefer the visual look of it too, since the backcover pic is bigger and the background is white so it's easier to read and the picture shows up more. The Viz version is smaller with the VizKids logo and additional stuff on the bottom (how much it costs, that it reads right to left, its bar code, the all ages rating, ect. *which is understandable*), as well as it changes the background color to whatever color the front is and has those same, unfitting digital blocks, lol. I honestly wish they would leave the VizKids logo off the back since it's already on the front, and just keep it like the Japanese version like Chuang Yi did, but with the additional stuff at the bottom like the bar code, ect. But then again that may just be me, lol. (I also prefer the original Japanese covers and Chuang Yi's as well) The good news though is they seem to be keeping the Japanese covers in tact for DP so far, so maybe they'll keep the backsides in tact as well. And I guess their second edition covers are better at least than their first, which were just randomly backcovers and images of the manga colored.

If need-be I can provide a pic of Viz's second edition backcover and Chuang Yi's too, but I'll only do when asked, if that's okay. ^^;

Last edited:

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
Here too? Don't get me wrong, I can get why you personally don't understand this, but does every Viz or Chuang Yi thread have to become a vs one? I too have my own preferences for this series, but I believe in letting people buy what they want to buy. If someone wants to get the Viz version, good for them, if someone wants to buy the Chuang Yi version, also good for them. If someone wants to buy the Japanese version, good for them. Hell, if someone wants to buy all three versions I could care less! None of the versions are truly bad and they all support the series, so I personally see no problem in letting people do what they want to do.

Looking back I didn't realize I sounded like an instigator and kind of a jack a*s

It just annoys me when people act like Chuang-Yi version is so amazing and the Viz version is a bowlderized piece of crap when I have also read both versions and was content with Viz's MINOR changes while Chuang-Yi's errors drove me up a wall. Even if it was translated and edited perfectly I find it to be too expensive (because of shipping costs which pretty much double the price last time I checked a few years ago) and hard to come by meanwhile you can go to pretty much any bookstore that carries manga and if they don't have it already then ask it to be ordered for you. All in all the Viz version gets a lot of undeserved hate while the Chuang-Yi version gets a lot of love.

people can buy whatever they want to buy but generally if people want to pass on the Viz version because they are under the impression that it's some horribly censored kiddie crap (not surprising since fandom in general blows everything out of proportion) then I do feel the need to point out that it's really not and that they could save a lot of money and trouble by buying the Viz version. It's not about stirring vs wars or anything like that.

I'm not trying to start any fights by saying this, I'm just explaining my motives here.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Looking back I didn't realize I sounded like an instigator and kind of a jack a*s

It just annoys me when people act like Chuang-Yi version is so amazing and the Viz version is a bowlderized piece of crap when I have also read both versions and was content with Viz's MINOR changes while Chuang-Yi's errors drove me up a wall. Even if it was translated and edited perfectly I find it to be too expensive (because of shipping costs which pretty much double the price last time I checked a few years ago) and hard to come by meanwhile you can go to pretty much any bookstore that carries manga and if they don't have it already then ask it to be ordered for you. All in all the Viz version gets a lot of undeserved hate while the Chuang-Yi version gets a lot of love.

people can buy whatever they want to buy but generally if people want to pass on the Viz version because they are under the impression that it's some horribly censored kiddie crap (not surprising since fandom in general blows everything out of proportion) then I do feel the need to point out that it's really not and that they could save a lot of money and trouble by buying the Viz version. It's not about stirring vs wars or anything like that.

I'm not trying to start any fights by saying this, I'm just explaining my motives here.
It's okay, I realize you didn't mean it. And you were still much better than a lot of people are about this kind of thing.

I can understand that. Like I always try to say regardless of preferences I really don't think either one is that bad. I mean it could be a lot worse and I definitely agree that a lot of people tend to overrate/underrate one or the other. I had no idea you read Chuang Yi's version though, mind if I ask which one(s)? I definitely also agree that Viz hasn't really made any major changes, but they have made some minor ones. I do blame some of that though on trying to stay so consistent with their original release of the series (which although in some ways was good, in a lot of ways sucked) when I wish they would have just gone with a completely brand new one, fixing the Blue/Green thing, giving all of Red's Pokemon nicknames and Blue's (the girl) too and ect. Heck, I would had even loved had they called the series 'Pokemon Special', just so DP would still be the same. (I do realize changing the whole series name is like, the last thing they would ever do though, lol.) And although there are some things I don't like but get why they do it (like printing the author/artist note in black and white instead of color like CY/the original due to money), there are still a few things about their release I don't quite get though, like why they don't just use the original summary, backcover design, and the original Japanese covers. (although this doesn't seem to apply to their DP release) Their second editions are still better than their first though, but I think that the fact they didn't change some of these things, yet freely edited images and toned done a few bits of dialogue are kind of what caused the fuss. As for Chuang Yi though I don't think they have that many errors, at least volumes 10-34 don't. I definitely agree though that Chuang Yi's version is just so expensive, which is kind of unfair since they are pretty good too and in Singapore actually very cheap. (I believe a Singaporean friend of mine said when you convert the price, a typical Singapore volume only cost $6-7 there. He said the reason they cost so much though is people usually like to rack up the prices online, and charge extra for shipping.) I definitely understand your point about how easy it is to get and cheap though. Although apparently some people don't mind the extra price since Chuang Yi's version is pretty good too, and they are so much farther ahead. Plus I think some people are just so used to it or like it so well they don't want to change. (hey, if I had the money, I'd be like my buddy BoxedLunch here and buy Viz's, Chuang Yi's and the original Japanese version of PokeSpecial just because I am that big of a nerd for this series X^DDDDD) I believe the difference is both versions have their selling points that make some people prefer one to the other, while both versions have flaws that get some people angry and make them buy the others instead. Although I still say both are pretty good though. I do kind of disagree with you on that last fact though, I believe it's the opposite. Every since the Viz version came around all I've been seeing is a lot of hate on Chuang Yi, and a lot of it unfair and untrue too. While on the other hand I've been seeing everyone treating Viz's version with a lot of love and wonderfully. Now I don't know who started it, but when that started happening I think some people started trying to point out Viz's version had errors too (I'll definitely admit, myself included), and that it wasn't just Chuang Yi...and then I think that's when all the fighting broke out. Honestly no one seemed to mind the new Viz version though until I believe people started getting upset when it started coming off of some sites (still not off them all though, and Viz has actually gotten to where they don't mind some of their mangas online, oddly) and people started seeing the Viz version had some edits. From that point out just a whole war kind of seemed to break out, unfortunately.

Oh I know. ^^ You're definitely not one of the ones who I blame for starting these wars. And the Viz version isn't that badly censored by any means, it's definitely not a 4Kids Yu-Gi-Oh! or Dic Sailor Moon level of censorship by any means, lol. Just some fans apparently feel strongly enough about edits, minor or not, that they would rather buy another version. So I've just personally been trying to let people do what they want, but if I ever see a post get too far out of hand when it comes to Chuang Yi or Viz, I do tend to try to correct them. (not always though, since so many people say so much stuff if I really did it 24/7 I'd have no life outside of the internet...and like 500000000000000000000 posts on tons of different forums too. X_x)

Last edited:

Grimsg

Thunder Trainer
Hi

Sup y'all

Just so you guys know, I'm still alive but I don't come round on the forums. Please E-mail me if you have book inquiries and yes, I have book 34 : )

Cheers,
Grimsg

blob

Red doesn't just want to train Pokémon, he wants to be their friend too. Read along as Red embarks on adventures with Pikachu, Bulbasaur and others that follow storylines from the videogames! On her search for famous Pokémon trainer Red, Yellow Caballero finds both human and Pokémon friends--and enemies. Now Yellow must team up with other trainers, gym leaders--and even evil Team Rocket--to fight the Elite Four!

Yellow Caballero, prepare to battle the Elite Four's top trainer Lance, ... It'll take everything you have and everybody you know to beat him!

Adventures based on the best-selling video games"

Directly from the back of my volume. And for Chuang Yi's:
"The shocking climax of the Yellow story! Yellow's deepest secret is finally revealed, but there is no time to waste, as he must still battle Lance's dragon-type Pokemon! However, can he stand up to Lance's invinicble Pokemon force with a borrowed Mewtwo and his own low-level Pokemon friends?

Eww, IMO the who "Red and friends" bit should be seperate from the "Yellow must look for Red" bit. It looks odd to see them together. Also, Bulbasaur? couldn't they update it for future issues?

I don't like how they call Yellow a girl in the Viz version, since it was supposed to be a mystery. (Though, by then I guess everyone knew she was a girl). I still think it's better to call "her" a "he", because not everyone in the manga knew until the end of GSC.

The things on the back of the Chuang Yi covers are; The back cover artwork, the circle around them (Different colour each Volume), the Chuang Yi Pokémon Adventures logo, the summery of the Volume, copyright info, the bar code, and the price. Each one of my Volumes has a sticker on the back, too, saying; KINOKUNIYA WITH GST. I guess that's where Grimsg buys her Volumes(?)

BTW, I would like a scan of the back cover.

Darkxninga

Eww, IMO the who "Red and friends" bit should be seperate from the "Yellow must look for Red" bit. It looks odd to see them together. Also, Bulbasaur? couldn't they update it for future issues?

I don't like how they call Yellow a girl in the Viz version, since it was supposed to be a mystery. (Though, by then I guess everyone knew she was a girl). I still think it's better to call "her" a "he", because not everyone in the manga knew until the end of GSC.

i agree with that. It's one of the reasons why i dont want the viz version. Its...too..kiddy for my taste. Im not saying they are bad, someone said that everyone keeps putting down the viz versions but im not. i read some of it in the bookstore and it was good but..i'd perfer CY's. Calling yellow a girl from the start (on the back cover) and in the book they call her a "he"? Wouldnt that be confusing to a new comer for this manga or a major spoiler? I know if i was, i'd be confused with thinking the manga has an error. ..-sign-...why are cy's version of pokemon adventures so hard to get and find affordable.....

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince

The things on the back of the Chuang Yi covers are; The back cover artwork, the circle around them (Different colour each Volume), the Chuang Yi Pokémon Adventures logo, the summery of the Volume, copyright info, the bar code, and the price. Each one of my Volumes has a sticker on the back, too, saying; KINOKUNIYA WITH GST. I guess that's where Grimsg buys her Volumes(?)

BTW, I would like a scan of the back cover.
My bad, turns out the "Red and friends" bit isn't on the actual backcover. :C I guess that's what I get for checking Amazon instead of just my volume. But the rest is still there, though. And I agree, Amazon and other sites that sell the Viz version should get new updated bits instead of just getting the bits from the first three volumes.

Yeah, I don't believe it was even first revealed that she was a girl in the manga 'til volume 7. (or the end of volume 6) So I definitely agree they should still have used "he" for Yellow instead of "she". For the Yellow arc, at the very least. Way to give spoilers Viz, lol.

Thanks for the info, yeah that's what's on all the Chuang Yi backs. As for the sticker that's probably where Grimsg gets hers, because I don't remember seeing them on the ones I've seen. I definitely prefer Chuang Yi's backcovers though, since they are closer to the original. A lot closer. I like that they keep the white background, the summary the same as the Japanese, and don't reduce the size of the image unlike Viz does. I also don't mind the circle around the artwork too, because it doesn't really interview with it and it fits the whole 'battle circle' theme you see on a lot of things on Pokemon. So all in all Chuang Yi's backcovers are pretty great. The slight good news is though that at least for the DP volumes, we might possibly get to keep the Japanese backcovers and summaries, since unlike Viz's other Adventures release they are actually using the Japanese covers too. (more like Chuang Yi) Shame the others didn't luck out though. I still have hope they might become more like Chuang Yi though when they get to volume 15, since that would be a great point to follow the Japanese covers and backcovers more. Maybe that's just me though; guess we'll see.

Okay! Here you go then, a scan of second edition Viz volume 7 backcover, and Chuang Yi's.

Chuang Yi volume 7 backcover (aka the one closest to the Japanese):
[IMG200]http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/PA7_Back_Cover.jpg[/IMG200]

Direct link if you'd prefer it full size: http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/PA7_Back_Cover.jpg

Viz's second edition backcover for volume 7 (pardon the slight angle with this one, was having problems with my scanner -.-; )
[IMG200]http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/scan0001.jpg[/IMG200]

Direct link if you'd prefer it full size: http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/scan0001.jpg

Hope that helps.~

Last edited:

blob

Those are HUGE logos on the Viz one! I guess it looks more kid friendly, but it looks more... dubbed and censored somehow.
The Chuang Yi cover looks much more serious.

Hmm... It seems the Japanese version is a bit different. It has the ISBN codes, and the Bar codes (Two Bar codes for some reason), the text is in the middle, and the picture is on the bottom.
Though, the image is about the same size in the Japanese version, and the Chuang Yi version.

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Those are HUGE logos on the Viz one! I guess it looks more kid friendly, but it looks more... dubbed and censored somehow.
The Chuang Yi cover looks much more serious.

Hmm... It seems the Japanese version is a bit different. It has the ISBN codes, and the Bar codes (Two Bar codes for some reason), the text is in the middle, and the picture is on the bottom.
Though, the image is about the same size in the Japanese version, and the Chuang Yi version.
I know! It's like Viz thinks all little kids are blind or have poor eyesight or something. XD It does look more kid-friendly; but I definitely agree about the dubbed/censored thing. It just feels....so different, somehow.
Yeah, I agree. That's why I like the Chuang Yi one more too. :) I always thought not only just the Viz covers/backcovers, but even the new homemade backsummaries seem more light-hearted and kiddish. I wish they would just be like Chuang Yi and directly translate it instead of making up stuff. (well I guess it's not so much made-up as technically 'their own version', but still lol)

It's funny you said that because I just noticed that a bit before you posted it, lol. I don't get the two Bar codes, but I like the Japanese version too and how much closer the Chuang Yi version is to it. I honestly don't mind Chuang Yi's version having the image moved to the top and the summary to the bottom, because it still looks big and roughly around the same size. And yeah, I don't like how Viz makes the backcover image smaller for some reason. :/ Then again I don't like how they change the front cover either, so.....XD I will give them their new front and backcovers, although still changed, are at least better than their first edition covers, which were just random pages from the manga colored. ~.~ At least they are trying to stay closer to the Japanese version this time, but I still don't get why they didn't just do it 100% like Chuang Yi.

Argh, the Viz cover tears my eyes out. ;;
Heheheh. I much prefer the Japanese and Chuang Yi covers and backcovers myself. I don't get why Viz doesn't just do the same, but I guess they think they have to make it more appealing to little kids. Although, I would think little kids would still buy it anyway since the original covers/backcovers are still great and as long as they liked the story. XD

blob

Does anyone have a translated version of the Yamamoto, and Kusaka bit in Vol 34? My scan has it in Japanese. I also don't have enough money for that Volume.

Kaika

Haters gonna hate
I feel the opposite about the covers, in my opinion the Chuang-Yi one looks like it was slapped together by a high schooler in paint (minus the artwork or course, which is well done) while the Viz cover looks like it was actually done by a professional manga company that knows what it's doing, the colorful background is a lot more pleasing to the eye then just plain white. The only thing I would change is having a bit more room for the art on the back since the text and logos kind of overwhelm it.

Before I am reamed about this I will explain to you why I feel this way:

The japanese/chuang-yi covers have pictures, a small blurb of text underneath it, and the usual bar code etc at the bottom. That might have been fine if this was still the 90's or something and I could understand why you would want to keep something like that consistent. At the same time it looks VERY plain and unprofessional. Even a change in the composition may have helped, I think Viz had the right idea of wrapping the font around the image instead of directly above/bellow it (though they should have made the font smaller and the picture larger). And of course, the comic san ms font rears it's ugly head, the font you see literally everywhere for everything. Over all? It looks plain, unimpressive, and lazy. On the plus side I like how it really highlights the wonderful art and the color of the font is nice.

Whether or no you view this as fortunately or unfortunately, now that Viz is translating this manga again they can make the covers look as modern as they want so they don't looked like they are trapped over a decade in the past. The blue "digital block" background is much less harsh on the eyes then just plain white, they actually used what looks like a custom font (either that of it's just one not used often?) in short they pretty much fix the issues I have with the chuang-yi cover and sacrifice focus on the back cover art for it. It is less about making it appealing to little kids and more about using the resources they have to just make it look nice (which of course makes it appeal more to kids but honestly do they REALLY care one way or the other what the back covers look like or do they care about the content and front cover?).

The front covers are an entirely different story. While I actually do prefer the originals/Chang-Yi I think the viz covers aren't bad either (again, they look really nice and well done even if they are different) and it would look weird if they kept the original front cover and changed the back cover.

Of course, this is just my opinion and honestly I don't think you are going to change it. The one thing I love most about the viz releases is the presentation. Yes, it's different but different doesn't always mean it's bad! It's meant to be easy-to-read eye candy, and it does that well.

blob

The japanese/chuang-yi covers have pictures, a small blurb of text underneath it, and the usual bar code etc at the bottom.

Even a change in the composition may have helped, I think Viz had the right idea of wrapping the font around the image instead of directly above/bellow it (though they should have made the font smaller and the picture larger). And of course, the comic san ms font rears it's ugly head, the font you see literally everywhere for everything. Over all? It looks plain, unimpressive, and lazy. On the plus side I like how it really highlights the wonderful art and the color of the font is nice.

The Japanese version has the Bar codes at the top, text in the middle, and picture at the bottom.

I don't like the text wrapping around the image, because it makes it look like the picture/text size could change each Volume, depending on the amount of text, and that's inconsistant.