• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where can I get Pokémon Special 1 Chuang Yi?

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Does anyone have a translated version of the Yamamoto, and Kusaka bit in Vol 34? My scan has it in Japanese. I also don't have enough money for that Volume.
That's a good question! =o Same here. Maybe Sird can help out, if he/she doesn't mind. Speaking of which, I started going through, and I don't believe I have the Yamamoto/Kusaka bits for volumes 12-17, 20-22, 26-29, and 30-31. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it, but if it takes a while or people can only give me them for just a couple volumes I can understand that too. (since there are so many)

I feel the opposite about the covers, in my opinion the Chuang-Yi one looks like it was slapped together by a high schooler in paint (minus the artwork or course, which is well done) while the Viz cover looks like it was actually done by a professional manga company that knows what it's doing, the colorful background is a lot more pleasing to the eye then just plain white. The only thing I would change is having a bit more room for the art on the back since the text and logos kind of overwhelm it.

Before I am reamed about this I will explain to you why I feel this way:

The japanese/chuang-yi covers have pictures, a small blurb of text underneath it, and the usual bar code etc at the bottom. That might have been fine if this was still the 90's or something and I could understand why you would want to keep something like that consistent. At the same time it looks VERY plain and unprofessional. Even a change in the composition may have helped, I think Viz had the right idea of wrapping the font around the image instead of directly above/bellow it (though they should have made the font smaller and the picture larger). And of course, the comic san ms font rears it's ugly head, the font you see literally everywhere for everything. Over all? It looks plain, unimpressive, and lazy. On the plus side I like how it really highlights the wonderful art and the color of the font is nice.

Whether or no you view this as fortunately or unfortunately, now that Viz is translating this manga again they can make the covers look as modern as they want so they don't looked like they are trapped over a decade in the past. The blue "digital block" background is much less harsh on the eyes then just plain white, they actually used what looks like a custom font (either that of it's just one not used often?) in short they pretty much fix the issues I have with the chuang-yi cover and sacrifice focus on the back cover art for it. It is less about making it appealing to little kids and more about using the resources they have to just make it look nice (which of course makes it appeal more to kids but honestly do they REALLY care one way or the other what the back covers look like or do they care about the content and front cover?).

The front covers are an entirely different story. While I actually do prefer the originals/Chang-Yi I think the viz covers aren't bad either (again, they look really nice and well done even if they are different) and it would look weird if they kept the original front cover and changed the back cover.

Of course, this is just my opinion and honestly I don't think you are going to change it. The one thing I love most about the viz releases is the presentation. Yes, it's different but different doesn't always mean it's bad! It's meant to be easy-to-read eye candy, and it does that well.
I don't think it looks that bad. I will admit volume 7 doesn't have the best backcover compared to a lot of the other Chuang Yi ones, but I still don't think it is that bad at all. I like how they keep the artwork full size and still make it pretty close to the original Japanese one. (which, of course, is what any and every manga should always try to do) I will give you Viz's does have a professional look to though (although I don't like it as well), but that still doesn't mean anything. Chuang Yi's still doesn't look that unprofessional either, especially when you get some of their later and better done volumes. While true that a more colorful background does look nice, I feel it kind of detracts from the art, not only because the size is smaller but it makes the color on it a lot less striking, unlike the original Japanese and Chuang Yi versions. I do agree with you about making the art having a bit more room on the back though. The text and logos really are overwhelming, and the VizKids logo on top of that doesn't help either. (is it really necessary to have it on the back, anyways?)

Actually, the Japanese volumes actually have the bar code stuff at the top, the text in the middle, and the picture on the bottom. Well, PokeSpecial did originally start in the 90s -- 1997 to be exact. (I believe) They just kept it like that way to stay consistent and since it does work. In fact it looks really good on some volumes, especially the Japanese ones and some of the latter Chuang Yi ones. And I don't think it looks too plain with how big and great the artwork is, and how (in Chuang Yi's case) they add a colored ring around it too. To say it looks unprofessional is really kind of insulting to be honest, because it really doesn't look that bad. Well -- the thing is in order for the artwork to be full size and truly noticeable, the picture needs to be bigger while the text is smaller, and away from it on the bottom or top. If Viz kept the font wrapped around the image, but made the image bigger, it would look fairly weird still to be honest, unless they did it just right. I am glad you at least agree about the font smaller and the picture larger though, I appreciate that. ;] And I do respect your opinion. And really? XD I honestly don't mind the front at all, I'm not too particular on font as long as it isn't bad or unfitting.~ I still don't think it looks too unimpressive, lazy or plain though. But yeah, the fact it really highlights the fantastic art and the nicely colored font is nice too.

I don't think the covers look old-fashioned in the least. As for the background, I don't mind it too much (although I still think it detracts from the artwork) as it is the fact I find "digital blocks" unfitting. Now they used those same blocks for another manga that I buy and like, but it actually fits that series because it was focused around technology and the cyberworld and futuristic themes and what not. To me it just looks kind of unfitting for Adventures, which is more about going out on Adventures with Pokemon than the occasional technology used. The font doesn't look too bad though, and I think it may be a custom font, or at least a hardly used one. Although I wish they would use a shorter summary (and the original Japanese one....) so they could make the artwork bigger. The artwork on the back cover is actually probably one of the most important things about the backcover besides the summaries, which are supposed to be fairly short and to the point. I think the reason they use those resources in the first place is to appeal to little kids though. If you notice the covers and back covers of their VizKids series usually differ more than older series, which goes to show it actually is probably more of making it 'Kid-friendly' than just uses their resources to make it look nice. (though of course as with anything I'm sure they want to make it look nice too) Kids probably care more about the front covers and the content, I do agree, but I'm sure if the artwork on the back was bigger that they would care about it too. I mean honestly both the front and back covers are meant to be appealing, even if the front is the most important.

Woo! I'm glad you at least agree with us about the original and Chuang Yi covers though. =) I do agree that the Viz covers aren't bad either; they are at least better than their random ones from their original release. (I still prefer the original/Chuang Yi's too, though) I do kind of wish they would have kept volume 1 and 4's original cover though, instead of randomly coloring in a scene, but they probably did that because the "Best of Red" and "Best of Yellow" used those covers. And I don't think so; how they could have done it is still matched the color used on the front cover for the back if they did it. And I honestly would have preferred for them to use the original covers and back covers anyway. (especially the front covers) Ah well, on the bright side since the DP releases so far have the original Japanese/Chuang Yi covers, most likely the DP backcovers will be the original Japanese (or in a style similar to Chuang Yi's) as well. :) So that's definitely a plus side; although I wish the WHOLE US Viz Adventures release could have gotten that same treatment.

True, but they should still try to stay as close as possible, if not just like the Japanese on the front and back covers as well. Again though, I will agree it could be worse and it's at least better than their first ones. And I will admit some of the new Viz front covers don't look too bad, like Viz's volume 12 I thought looked really nice.
Oh, speaking of all this, does anyone think that Viz might change their minds and start going with the original front covers (and possibly back covers) starting from volume 15 on? You see, the original Japanese and Chuang Yi for almost all of the Ruby/Sapphire volumes have two different colors instead of one, so it would be kind of weird for Viz to still use "digital blocks" for those but make them both different covers. Not to mention, from that point on the covers get very detailed, some of them not even really having a color in the background, so I think it would make perfect sense.

The Japanese version has the Bar codes at the top, text in the middle, and picture at the bottom.

I don't like the text wrapping around the image, because it makes it look like the picture/text size could change each Volume, depending on the amount of text, and that's inconsistant.
Basically this. --^ In fact, here's a picture to help give you an example. Sorry I didn't do it for volume 7 as well, but I didn't have that and didn't feel like going to find it. So here's Japanese volume 16's (of the Ruby/Sapphire arc) backcover for an example.
[IMG200]http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/pkm16_207.jpg[/IMG200]

Direct link if you'd prefer it full size:http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/pkm16_207.jpg

Hmmm...that's true, I hadn't thought of that. =o I guess Viz will just try to make all their made-up summaries be roughly the same size, though.

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
Yamamoto:
There is a lot of human drama in Pokemon Adventures. One of the major themes of the entire drama appears to be the father and child relationship. Ruby and Norman, Sapphire and Professor Birch, Silver and Giovanni... And each father-child pair is a different drama altogether. So now, watch as the dramatic reunion of Missy and Mr Berlitz unfolds in this volume!

Kusaka:
When I was playing 'Pokepark Wii', I thought about how action-packed the game was, and how there never was a game like this before. This is surprisingly the first ever official Pokemon action game, and I'm enthralled by the in-game battle depictions. It's completely different from the turn-based system of the main games and the Battle Revolution, drawing me in and making the whole thing very realistic. It's actually pretty helpful for my drawing, you know! The subtitle of the game is "Pikachu's Great Adventure". Please give it a go, everybody! It's really interesting!

^ this one right?

blob

Yamamoto:
There is a lot of human drama in Pokemon Adventures. One of the major themes of the entire drama appears to be the father and child relationship. Ruby and Norman, Sapphire and Professor Birch, Silver and Giovanni... And each father-child pair is a different drama altogether. So now, watch as the dramatic reunion of Missy and Mr Berlitz unfolds in this volume!

Kusaka:
When I was playing 'Pokepark Wii', I thought about how action-packed the game was, and how there never was a game like this before. This is surprisingly the first ever official Pokemon action game, and I'm enthralled by the in-game battle depictions. It's completely different from the turn-based system of the main games and the Battle Revolution, drawing me in and making the whole thing very realistic. It's actually pretty helpful for my drawing, you know! The subtitle of the game is "Pikachu's Great Adventure". Please give it a go, everybody! It's really interesting!

^ this one right?

Can you copy that onto Vol. 32? It'd be annoying to open a word document to know what they're saying.
http://www.pxly.org/fh

BTW, 1dbad, I'll type what they say later on. Your long posts kind of delay me! I have other forums to check, and by now, I'm waaaaay behind!

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
BTW, 1dbad, I'll type what they say later on. Your long posts kind of delay me! I have other forums to check, and by now, I'm waaaaay behind!
Oh okay, thanks! Take your time, but I really appreciate it! And oh I'm sorry, I don't mean to delay anyone. I'll try to be more careful to keep things shorter next time...no promises though, lol.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
I've seen some odd criticisms of dubbed/officially translated products, but complaining about manga covers is a new one to me. The logo's bigger? The text is formatted slightly differently? And that's bad somehow? Uh...okay. Whatever you say. I'll be over here wondering who even cares about the covers as opposed to the treatment of the manga inside them. For the record, I think both sets of covers are fine. They both have their faults - Chuang Yi's is too simple(as much as they try to spice things up with the random circle), while Viz's cover is a bit too busy - but neither one is offensive to the eyes.

Also

I know! It's like Viz thinks all little kids are blind or have poor eyesight or something. XD It does look more kid-friendly
just kind of improvs their own short one, and try to make it sound more appealing to little kids
Those are HUGE logos on the Viz one! I guess it looks more kid friendly
I personally prefer Chuang Yi's, since it's shorter, less kiddy sounding

Not every little change Viz makes is one that makes the manga kiddier. And even for those that are...you DO know this is a kid's manga, right? Right? Yes it's more serious than the anime, but it's still part of a children's franchise, and even in Japan it's released in magazines aimed at the younger set. It's not some sacrilege if Viz makes the manga covers appeal to the target audience.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
They don't seem to understand it's for kids. It's pretty pathetic to try to pass of a kids book for something it's not. Believe it or not Viz knows what it's doing in terms of advertising.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I've seen some odd criticisms of dubbed/officially translated products, but complaining about manga covers is a new one to me. The logo's bigger? The text is formatted slightly differently? And that's bad somehow? Uh...okay. Whatever you say. I'll be over here wondering who even cares about the covers as opposed to the treatment of the manga inside them. For the record, I think both sets of covers are fine. They both have their faults - Chuang Yi's is too simple(as much as they try to spice things up with the random circle), while Viz's cover is a bit too busy - but neither one is offensive to the eyes.

Also

Not every little change Viz makes is one that makes the manga kiddier. And even for those that are...you DO know this is a kid's manga, right? Right? Yes it's more serious than the anime, but it's still part of a children's franchise, and even in Japan it's released in magazines aimed at the younger set. It's not some sacrilege if Viz makes the manga covers appeal to the target audience.
I definitely agree that the quality of the translation inside is definitely what counts the most. I believe I even said that before, once or twice. I also agree neither covers are too bad, we just got on the topic and I was just saying I prefer the originals/Chuang Yi's and don't see why Viz even bothered to change them. (the backcovers I don't mind as much though, but I mainly dislike the fact they shrunk the back artwork so much) I'm also not complaining about the logo, or font size or any of that. I was just saying the way they did the back made it look kind of cramped and unfortunately forced the image to be shrunk down.

I believe changing the covers is to make it more kiddier. It's quite simple why I think so too. I mean, why does Viz tend to (for the most part) keep the original Japanese covers on their Teen and older aged mangas, yet on every kids manga change them around a bit more? Simple, to appeal to kids. And what on Earth makes you think we don't know it's a kids manga? Because yes, I/we do know it's a kid's manga. I was just saying I felt it was pointless to change them, since the Japanese/Chuang Yi covers and backcovers are for kids too. I was just saying what on Earth is the point of changing something if it appeals to kids already, and was designed to do so in the first place? There really isn't any reason. A lot of work was put into the original designed front covers too, and I just find it pointless that Viz tries to change them around a bit. They were fine they way they were and still did the job perfectly. Heck, if Viz kept them they would still do the job perfectly here too. I will admit though at least they are staying closer than their first edition covers, and that their changes aren't that bad. It is a minor thing, but it still is annoying.
They don't seem to understand it's for kids. It's pretty pathetic to try to pass of a kids book for something it's not. Believe it or not Viz knows what it's doing in terms of advertising.
Again, what makes you think we don't know it's for kids? We darn well do. I don't get why if we even utter the tiniest complaint it's always "Well you're wrong." or "Well, you just don't know it's for kids." The series could be for anything for all I care, but we still have the right to talk about changes, and if we like them or not, or if we even care. We were just saying it's pointless to change them around even more since the original covers/back covers were for kids, and did the job fine. I doubt kids even care about the backcover, and the original front covers were great enough to draw kid interest I'm sure. Oh do they now? Don't get me wrong, their new covers still do the job right and are much better than their first, but we were just saying had they kept the original ones it would still do just as well. Viz isn't perfect and they've made mistakes before, on countless things. Ah well though, like I said this is nothing major, and could be worse.

http://i53.*******.com/xm2a1h.jpg <-- My scan.

And, uh, working on the super imposed version.
Thanks! blob and I appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Again, what makes you think we don't know it's for kids? We darn well do. I don't get why if we even utter the tiniest complaint it's always "Well you're wrong." or "Well, you just don't know it's for kids." The series could be for anything for all I care, but we still have the right to talk about changes, and if we like them or not, or if we even care. We were just saying it's pointless to change them around even more since the original covers/back covers were for kids, and did the job fine. I doubt kids even care about the backcover, and the original front covers were great enough to draw kid interest I'm sure. Oh do they now? Don't get me wrong, their new covers still do the job right and are much better than their first, but we were just saying had they kept the original ones it would still do just as well. Viz isn't perfect and they've made mistakes before, on countless things. Ah well though, like I said this is nothing major, and could be worse.
Thing is by the same token Viz isn't always a screw up the covers are actually nice and clean and a damn decent job. The compliants are at best something that varies from person to person. I'll let you complain about the translations or mistakes. But the cover?
It just seems like personal nitpicking then a fatal flaw some people make it out to be. I have just as much right to point out your complaints are exaggerated sometimes.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Thing is by the same token Viz isn't always a screw up the covers are actually nice and clean and a damn decent job. The compliants are at best something that varies from person to person. I'll let you complain about the translations or mistakes. But the cover?
It just seems like personal nitpicking then a fatal flaw some people make it out to be. I have just as much right to point out your complaints are exaggerated sometimes.
Also true. The covers most definitely still are nice and clean, and way better than their random first edition covers. I just prefer the original/Chuang Yi's a bit more is all. That is true, though.
And well I do believe I said somewhere that admittedly it is a small thing, and that more than anything the translation inbetween the covers is what matters most. But I was still just bringing it up since it kind of bugged me. Mainly just because I find it kind of pointless, and since I felt a couple covers looked better the original way. It could be worse though and at least they are trying. (and I'll admit that some of the covers I like just as well, like volume 12's for example) And fair enough. I suppose that is true sometimes.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I believe changing the covers is to make it more kiddier. It's quite simple why I think so too. I mean, why does Viz tend to (for the most part) keep the original Japanese covers on their Teen and older aged mangas, yet on every kids manga change them around a bit more? Simple, to appeal to kids.

DPA's covers weren't changed. Well, volume 8's was, but only by pulling out a little bit. Frankly it looks nicer, being able to see more blue sky.

I don't think the Legend of Zelda comics were changed either, nor Happy Happy Clover.

Darkxninga

DPA's covers weren't changed. Well, volume 8's was, but only by pulling out a little bit. Frankly it looks nicer, being able to see more blue sky.

I don't think the Legend of Zelda comics were changed either, nor Happy Happy Clover.

the Zelda covers were different from the japanese (if your talking about jpn. covers to english ones). Where the brown lines/frames on the zelda cover, there was white instead for the japanese. On the back it was plain but in english it looked more detailed. Honestly, imo it was better than the jap. cover and I love the vizkids version of zelda ^___^ (everything was perfect, except the dialogue mix up and name error in four swords 2)!!! Not sure about that other comic. But was there another company that translated Zelda comics like CY did pokemon?
I agree with the comment in bold, it does look nicer. It gives it a ....nice end of journey feeling~

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince

Oh, I knew DPA's covers weren't changed. ^^ I quite liked that as well, and it makes me kind of hopeful since it appears to be that same team doing Pokemon Adventures 'Platinum' (DP) here. (I've noticed that so far they are keeping the covers for that side as well)

And really? My bad then. I was just going off some of the mangas I know they've done, and heck, some of the mangas I buy as well. Quite a few that I seem to know got some change on the VizKids line (nothing admittedly major, more of just different backgrounds or occasional different covers), so that was what I was going off of. Glad to know not all of them are, though. I still have hope for the DP side release and I still believe that once volume 15 roles around, they might change and start just using the full Japanese covers, since from volume 15 onward the covers start getting more and more detailed. (and are dual-colored)

blob

You know what's odd? In my Pokémon Black version, I chose the girl (girl = Black, IMO), and my Pokabu ended up being Female. O_O Now all it needs are Ribbons.

Anyway, I'm supprised this topic is still going.