1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Where can I purchase Firered/ Leafgreen?!

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation III Discussion' started by ysmr97, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ysmr97

ysmr97 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! I am a teenager who wants to replay the Kanto games, but lost his copies YEARS ago. Is there any way that I may purchase these games IN PERSON. If so, what store?

2. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Unequivocally, no. The games are long out of print and unless you happen upon a local store that happens to have used copies in their possession, the options for buying used copies all involve a significant risk of being sold counterfeit products.

Probably not the answer you wanted, but the best option is really just to not.

3. ysmr97

ysmr97 Well-Known Member

Thanks you! That helped immensely!

4. Sadly, no not in a store. i will say though very rare especially thrifts stores in my area because resellers resale older games sadly. try thrift stores & see if ya can find a copy there try craigslist (might not be available in your country if you're in tha states though you should try to look there) that's all i can give on advice lol XD. other than that you'll have to resort to amazon or ebay lol XD :(. good luck on finding a copy (i still have my leaf green luckily)

5. Bananarama

Bananarama Another trophy

I know some stores that used sell used FrLg. I don't know if they do anymore...

Try one of those used-game stores. I found my Leafgreen recently in one.

Hope this helps.

6. *~Silver*~

*~Silver*~ Well-Known Member

Your best-bet is probably some local used-game store that's around where you are. You're not going to be able to get it new anymore, unless you go online, but you specifically said no to that so....

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be able to get it new online either.

8. Ditto B1tch

Ditto B1tch Well-Known Member

In internet.

9. LimeSoda

LimeSoda Well-Known Member

While it may be obvious ask some friends or people around your school. I got 2 Sapphires and Emeralds from that. Could have gotten more too.

Check to see if there's retro game stores in your area, one of mine (never visited tho) is called Mega Media Xchange. Don't know if they'd sell them or not but it'd be your best chance.

10. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

We've established at least twice how that would be a poor course of action in this day and age.

11. LimeSoda

Did you have a bad experience buying things online or something BCVM? You seem to always be preaching it's a terrible idea when in reality there's more legit copys than not..

12. Cutty

Cutty Forever now

I think if you check Amazon, there are some shops that still sell gen 3 brand new games. But of course they're really pricey for the new ones.
    I bought mine like 3/4 years ago from one of those shops, and they costed as much as DS new games.
    Some versions like Ruby and FireRed are far more expensive than their pairs.

13. LimeSoda

Check craigslist!

14. Popboi

Popboi The Elusive Trainer

Maybe you can find a GameStop with used Gameboy games.

15. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

That's not the reality at all. The reality is that people are hunting for games that were incredibly prolific in their time, are long out of print now, that were and are exceedingly easy to pirate and for which there's still some demand on the secondary market. All of that adds up to being very, very easy to buy what one thinks is legitimate merchandise and in fact is far from that.

In truth, I don't care what someone wants to do with their their money. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. But if the question is asked, that is the answer.

16. PokeAwesome94

PokeAwesome94 Ace Pokémon Trainer

What you're saying is true, but there is a way to buy old Pokémon games online and be quite certain that they are legit (but never with 100% certainty). The market for bootleg Pokémon games in the US is big, so finding legit games online there is like looking for a needle in a haystack, but in Finland where I live the market for counterfeits of old Nintendo games barely exist. Prices at the moment for FireRed and LeaGreen range between 7€ and 50€. Currently 3 FireRed games and 4 LeafGreen games are being sold on Finnish auction / "post your own ad" sites. However, if you're going to import it you might have to know Finnish / rely on an online translator, or if you're lucky the seller might communicate with you in English on request. The second problem is that none of the sellers offer international shipping and some only approve of a meet up in person, but asking them for international shipping doesn't hurt. And I don't know if PAL games are compatible with American GBA / DS consoles. If anyone is interested I can post links to the auctions / ads.

And otherwise try second hand game stores, pawn shops and flea markets (but you might very well end up with bootlegs from those places too). Come on Nintendo and Game Freak, release all old Pokémon games for the eShop already!

17. LimeSoda

Try asking friends to see if they have a credit card and can order from Amazon, then just pay them a little more for the hassle of them ordering it.

CMA Games is a good seller

18. PokeAwesome94

Have you read the thread? There's a big risk of getting a bootleg game (which are infamous for crashing and corrupt save files) and others before you has pointed out that one can find it on the Internet. Well, if anyone is going to get it online from a US / international site make sure that all "accessories" are included (box, manual and - if it's the Player's Choice edition - the wireless adapter), otherwise if it's just the cartridge it's probably a knock-off. And even if it is complete with all the accessories it could still be a bootleg.

19. LimeSoda

Why are you quoting part of my post lmfao.

Know where to look- the reviews of the seller help and see if they address whether or not they're informed bootleg copies exist. I reccomended a seller that's legit as well. I have gotten 2 copies from Amazon both legit.l

I also replied earlier giving a Non-Internet option, as that's what the OP wanted in the first place

20. PokeAwesome94

Well, it was the part of your post I was referring to. Now that I take a second look at your post I realize that it contributed to the dicussion, sorry about what I said in my previous post. I read it quickly and assumed that CMA Games was just a local game store, but now I get that it's an Amazon seller. The customer reviews do help, but a bootleg seller could still get good reviews if the buyer first discover that the game is a bootleg a long time after they've left the feedback (I don't know how long the buyer has the ability to delete a review on Amazon though).

There's for example a FireRed seller with a 100% positive feedback and with this item description for his 8 FireRed games:
    Obviously these are hacked, but I assume that the buyers in this case wanted hacked games, or they are really dumb.

And to the OP and everyone who is considering to get FireRed and LeafGreen: Don't get the Player's Choice edition, it doesn't include the wireless adapter, unlike the original edition.