• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where do you rank OR/AS as a main series Pokemon game?

Where do you rank ORAS compared to the rest of main series?

• I think ORAS is the best main series Pokemon game sofar. Number one.

Votes: 24 16.1%
  • It is the second best Pokemon game sofar. Runner up.

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • It's not the best, but it is one of the best. Top 3

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • It is somwhere in the middle.

Votes: 55 36.9%
  • It is one of the weakest games sofar.

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsMeBrandon

I typically say that Emerald is my favorite in the series, with the Black and White games behind it (originals and sequels because I can't decide), and FireRed and LeafGreen. I'd probably rank OR/AS as tying with FR/LG.

Generally, I look at OR/AS as Gen 3 remakes in the Gen 6 style (they technically are just that). So I personally compare these games to both R/S/E as well as X and Y.

Compared to R/S/E, OR/AS is obviously a step above in terms of engine and mechanics. I really enjoy a lot of the Gen 6 engine (such as Pokémon-Amie, moving in 360 degrees, etc.), and I think the Hoenn remakes benefit a lot from it.
My biggest gripe really is just that they seem unanimously better than Ruby and Sapphire, but Emerald? Honestly, I wouldn't say so. Emerald was a greater challenge and had the complete Battle Frontier. OR/AS weren't made to be Emerald remakes, but I still put expectations on them because Emerald is a Hoenn game and OR/AS are Hoenn games. I would say that OR/AS definitely does things that Emerald doesn't (soaring, DexNav, etc.), but its shortcomings (there aren't many, in my opinion) are still enough for me to put Emerald higher up on the list.

Compared to X and Y? Well, the biggest differences are Trainer customization and Kalos.
It seems to me that way more people have an attachment to Trainer customization than I thought, because a lot of them seem to prefer X/Y over OR/AS almost purely for that feature. As someone who grew up with previous Gens, I can completely forgive these remakes not having customization to stay faithful to the original. I know others don't like the backpedaling as much, but it really doesn't bother me.
Hoenn is just a better region than Kalos in my opinion. Kalos isn't bad, but it's a linear region like Unova except slightly worse due to its odd pacing. I still think Kalos is a fine region, but Hoenn will always be my favorite of them.
Let's not forget that OR/AS just did more with the X/Y engine. Animations for your Trainer are better, there are the 3 new Navs, and soaring is just plain fun. That's just what I think, of course.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I typically say that Emerald is my favorite in the series, with the Black and White games behind it (originals and sequels because I can't decide), and FireRed and LeafGreen. I'd probably rank OR/AS as tying with FR/LG.

Generally, I look at OR/AS as Gen 3 remakes in the Gen 6 style (they technically are just that). So I personally compare these games to both R/S/E as well as X and Y.

Compared to R/S/E, OR/AS is obviously a step above in terms of engine and mechanics. I really enjoy a lot of the Gen 6 engine (such as Pokémon-Amie, moving in 360 degrees, etc.), and I think the Hoenn remakes benefit a lot from it.
My biggest gripe really is just that they seem unanimously better than Ruby and Sapphire, but Emerald? Honestly, I wouldn't say so. Emerald was a greater challenge and had the complete Battle Frontier. OR/AS weren't made to be Emerald remakes, but I still put expectations on them because Emerald is a Hoenn game and OR/AS are Hoenn games. I would say that OR/AS definitely does things that Emerald doesn't (soaring, DexNav, etc.), but its shortcomings (there aren't many, in my opinion) are still enough for me to put Emerald higher up on the list.

Compared to X and Y? Well, the biggest differences are Trainer customization and Kalos.
It seems to me that way more people have an attachment to Trainer customization than I thought, because a lot of them seem to prefer X/Y over OR/AS almost purely for that feature. As someone who grew up with previous Gens, I can completely forgive these remakes not having customization to stay faithful to the original. I know others don't like the backpedaling as much, but it really doesn't bother me.
Hoenn is just a better region than Kalos in my opinion. Kalos isn't bad, but it's a linear region like Unova except slightly worse due to its odd pacing. I still think Kalos is a fine region, but Hoenn will always be my favorite of them.
Let's not forget that OR/AS just did more with the X/Y engine. Animations for your Trainer are better, there are the 3 new Navs, and soaring is just plain fun. That's just what I think, of course.

I almost completely agree with your opinion.

For me, it is: BW2 > Emerald = ORAS = HGSS.

And I am glad you see ORAS is not meant to be an Emerald remake, because I have seen so many people claim ORAS was disappointing due to the lack of Emerald content, when the game is not meant to be an EMERALD REMAKE, at all. Or at least not a complete Emerald remake.

And you completely have a point about Trainer Costumization: it seems to have become the new fan favourite feature of all time. I think following Pokemon used to be the fan favourite, but now TC has surpassed it. But even then, I don´t think more people like XY than ORAS. If they do, it shouldn´t be due to the lack of TC in ORAS, because TC just doesn´t suite ORAS at all, imo. I don´t think people should be allowed to change and mess up well established designs of past generations PCs.

I wouldn´t want TC in any potential future remakes either, and I am actually glad it wasn´t in ORAS...

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Better then XY, but I prefer a good chunk of the other games to it such as HGSS, BW, B2W2, and Platinum.

And I am glad you see ORAS is not meant to be an Emerald remake, because I have seen so many people claim ORAS was disappointing due to the lack of Emerald content, when the game is not meant to be an EMERALD REMAKE, at all. Or at least not a complete Emerald remake.

Yet that didn't stop HGSS from taking elements of Crystal from it despite being a "Gold/Silver remake", and ORAS did have the so-called Delta Episode that drew a bit from Emerald's plotline (ex. Wallace having his Champion team and Rayquaza in general), so it's not like they weren't aware of it during development and ignored it.

At the end of the day, nothing stopped ORAS from having more Emerald content aside from design decisions and time, I highly doubt they deliberately ignored Emerald just because it wasn't Ruby and Sapphire. Whether you think ORAS is a better or worse game for it depends on your opinion, but from a design perspective, that excuse doesn't really fly as GF has and have acknowledged third versions in their remakes to varying extents.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i liked silver and gold alot but HG/SS were a good series to replace the faulty battery design ie short lifespan on G/C/S. i did find the pokemon that i liked alot thru the HG game and have great memories fron both original and remake. i do like X alot for its features, mostly character customization and general game play and i do enjoy it more for its relevance to the online features. i do have some interest in OR mainly for the flight to mid points on several routed but it overall falls short to compare with X/Y. silver, HG and X all rate around equal for different reasons but i tend to stay on X BC the main activity is related to that gen for the time being.

Last edited:

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Better then XY, but I prefer a good chunk of the other games to it such as HGSS, BW, B2W2, and Platinum.

Yet that didn't stop HGSS from taking elements of Crystal from it despite being a "Gold/Silver remake", and ORAS did have the so-called Delta Episode that drew a bit from Emerald's plotline (ex. Wallace having his Champion team and Rayquaza in general), so it's not like they weren't aware of it during development and ignored it.

At the end of the day, nothing stopped ORAS from having more Emerald content aside from design decisions and time, I highly doubt they deliberately ignored Emerald just because it wasn't Ruby and Sapphire. Whether you think ORAS is a better or worse game for it depends on your opinion, but from a design perspective, that excuse doesn't really fly as GF has and have acknowledged third versions in their remakes to varying extents.

A remake is all about expanding the originals.

HGSS expanded G/S by adding most of Crystal´s content as well (which wasn´t much content anyway), and some new original content (Pokeathlon, following Pokemon, Safari Zone and not much more).

ORAS expanded R/S by adding some Emerald content (Wallace Emerald battle, Emerald exclusive music,recieving other region starters in the postgame), but a lot more new, original content (DexNav, Soaring, BuzzNav, Mauville City revamped, Sea Mauville, Delta Episode, new Megas, Primal Rversion, etc).

So, ORAS having some Emerald content doesn´t mean ORAS is an Emerald remake that didn´t manage to put all of Emeralds content in the game. It means ORAS is a RS remake that was nice enough to include some third version references as well!

But jumping to the conclusion that ORAS didn´t have more Emerald content because they had development time contraints, is just plain wrong. ORAS was developed by a 100 members staff, while HGSS was developed by 40- 50 membrs only. This alone proves they had more development time for ORAS, and with how much new content ORAS had time to develop, it is quite obvious that they didn´t have time constraints.

Just because they decided not to add some Emerald content that you and I expected, doesn´t mean they had time constraints.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

I almost completely agree with your opinion.

For me, it is: BW2 > Emerald = ORAS = HGSS.

And you completely have a point about Trainer Costumization: it seems to have become the new fan favourite feature of all time. I think following Pokemon used to be the fan favourite, but now TC has surpassed it. But even then, I don´t think more people like XY than ORAS. If they do, it shouldn´t be due to the lack of TC in ORAS, because TC just doesn´t suite ORAS at all, imo. I don´t think people should be allowed to change and mess up well established designs of past generations PCs.

I wouldn´t want TC in any potential future remakes either, and I am actually glad it wasn´t in ORAS...

I should maybe make it clear that while I see OR/AS as remakes of Ruby and Sapphire, if you notice, I still compare them to Emerald.
You say that OR/AS are "not meant" to be Emerald remakes, and I agree to the extent that they were made to be R/S remakes. But I think they could've been meant to be remakes of R/S/E in general, not just remakes of R/S.
Like a number of others in this thread have said, these remakes could've still drawn from Emerald a bit more than they did. Rematches with Gym Leaders, a Battle Frontier, etc... putting those in would've made the games even better. I don't begrudge them for not adding in these things, and I never went into OR/AS expecting an Emerald remake, but as a result in part of these omissions, I firmly believe that Emerald is still a better Hoenn experience than OR/AS.

I know what you mean when you're talking about Trainer customization. The idea of adding boutiques to Hoenn is kind of weird to me, honestly. It doesn't feel like it fits thematically with the region.
I can maybe see Game Freak adding Trainer customization in remakes if there's a lot of fan outcry, and I'd be okay with that, but I think they'll generally stay faithful to the old Gens' formulas.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I should maybe make it clear that while I see OR/AS as remakes of Ruby and Sapphire, if you notice, I still compare them to Emerald.
You say that OR/AS are "not meant" to be Emerald remakes, and I agree to the extent that they were made to be R/S remakes. But I think they could've been meant to be remakes of R/S/E in general, not just remakes of R/S.
Like a number of others in this thread have said, these remakes could've still drawn from Emerald a bit more than they did. Rematches with Gym Leaders, a Battle Frontier, etc... putting those in would've made the games even better. I don't begrudge them for not adding in these things, and I never went into OR/AS expecting an Emerald remake, but as a result in part of these omissions, I firmly believe that Emerald is still a better Hoenn experience than OR/AS.

I know what you mean when you're talking about Trainer customization. The idea of adding boutiques to Hoenn is kind of weird to me, honestly. It doesn't feel like it fits thematically with the region.
I can maybe see Game Freak adding Trainer customization in remakes if there's a lot of fan outcry, and I'd be okay with that, but I think they'll generally stay faithful to the old Gens' formulas.

And I compare ORAS and Emerald as well, because both are Hoenn games as you said. My point is that ORAS must not be criticized for not having more Emerald exclusive features, since it isn't meant to be a RSE remake, but a remake of the main pair mainly. And I agree that ORAS could have been an Emerald remake as well, but that's my point: it wasn't an Emerald remake, because Game Freak wanted it this way. Not because Game Freak tried to make an Emerald remake, but couldn't due to time constraints or due to being incompetent.

And, in my opinion, as long as ORAS had new extra features, to make up for the absence of some Emerald features, it's perfectly fine (and ORAS does have new features to make up for this, like Battle Resort Type Expert rematches, instead of Emerald's Gym Leader rematches or Battle Institute instead of Emerald's Trainer's Hill and so on)

I guess Game Freak's mentality was something like: "Ok, Emerald is a lot more different from RS, than Crystal was from GS. And, because in ORAS we want to create more original new features, than we did for past remakes, I think instead of adding more Emerald features, we should use this time to create more new content for the players! "

I guess we more or less agree on everything, except I firmly believe ORAS is equal to Emerald, not inferior.

And I agree about TC. I wouldn't be too annoyed if future remakes had TC, but I think they would be better without that feature.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
A remake is all about expanding the originals.

HGSS expanded G/S by adding most of Crystal´s content as well (which wasn´t much content anyway), and some new original content (Pokeathlon, following Pokemon, Safari Zone and not much more).

ORAS expanded R/S by adding some Emerald content (Wallace Emerald battle, Emerald exclusive music,recieving other region starters in the postgame), but a lot more new, original content (DexNav, Soaring, BuzzNav, Mauville City revamped, Sea Mauville, Delta Episode, new Megas, Primal Rversion, etc).

Exactly, and expanding on the originals can mean drawing from all aspects of the original games, which would include Emerald. Nothing says that it was exclusively Ruby and Sapphire that they were focusing on, they did take elements from Emerald and did allude to others. So it seems more like they were trying to include what they could from all three, not exclusively focus on Ruby and Sapphire as you're trying to imply.

But jumping to the conclusion that ORAS didn´t have more Emerald content because they had development time contraints, is just plain wrong. ORAS was developed by a 100 members staff, while HGSS was developed by 40- 50 membrs only. This alone proves they had more development time for ORAS, and with how much new content ORAS had time to develop, it is quite obvious that they didn´t have time constraints.

Just because they decided not to add some Emerald content that you and I expected, doesn´t mean they had time constraints.

Then you honestly have little understanding of game design.

No matter how big your team is, you're going to be faced with time constraints and have to make decisions on what to keep and what to cut. For instance, Brawl had a larger team then Melee, yet both had elements that had to be cut because time didn't allow for things to be developed to fruition. Hell, Brawl arguably had to cut more content then Melee as it had to get rid of 6 different characters and couldn't finalize certain other ideas, one of which was Mewtwo, a fan favorite. So the idea that just because a team is larger and has more time doesn't mean the restrictions of development changes. You have to make decisions based on what you have to work with, and in terms of ORAS, it's very possible that they couldn't develop everything in time.

Last edited:

Iceman24

Conjurer of Cool
1. OM/AS
2. FR/LG
3. D/P/P
4. HG/SS
5. BW2

OR/AS was a great remake that added a lot of new features while keeping the classic vibe of Pokemon we are all used to. The original D/P/P introduced so many new features to the game and to me, this was the last batch of overall great looking Pokemon (things got a little funky after D/P/P).

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Exactly, and expanding on the originals can mean drawing from all aspects of the original games, which would include Emerald. Nothing says that it was exclusively Ruby and Sapphire that they were focusing on, they did take elements from Emerald and did allude to others. So it seems more like they were trying to include what they could from all three, not exclusively focus on Ruby and Sapphire as you're trying to imply.

Then you honestly have little understanding of game design.

No matter how big your team is, you're going to be faced with time constraints and have to make decisions on what to keep and what to cut. For instance, Brawl had a larger team then Melee, yet both had elements that had to be cut because time didn't allow for things to be developed to fruition. Hell, Brawl arguably had to cut more content then Melee as it had to get rid of 6 different characters and couldn't finalize certain other ideas, one of which was Mewtwo, a fan favorite. So the idea that just because a team is larger and has more time doesn't mean the restrictions of development changes. You have to make decisions based on what you have to work with, and in terms of ORAS, it's very possible that they couldn't develop everything in time.

All your points were long ago debunked by official interviews.

You say there is nothing to prove that ORAS is a RS remake. Wrong. Masuda himself confirmed that ORAS is a RS remake. Eurogamr Portugal asked him why RS and not an Emerald remake? And he said it is due to RS being a very memorable Project for him, as it was the first original game he created, so he had no doubt he wanted to remake Ruby and Sapphire in particular. (which doesn't mean they can't add any Emerald features at all, and they did introduce the DE and some other Emerald features, but this interview explains why ORAS was more about RS and less about Emerald, as a whole).

And the Battle Frontier is really the only important feature that Emerald made, and Masuda already said they consider it is not an interesting feature for modern day players, and that's why they didn't add it to ORAS.

So yes, it can be confirmed that the missing Emerald content, is missing because they decided so, not because they didn't have time.

Also, it is clear that a 100 members staff will have more development power than a 40-50 staff, thinking the opposite is delusional. And since NOBODY ever said or implied HGSS had time constraints during development, saying the same thing for a game with a staff TWO TIMES LARGER, is not logical.
And HGSS wasn't even Game Freak's main focus during development. HGSS was their side project, while BW1 was their main project (both games were developed at the same time)

While ORAS was their main project during development, simply because it was their only project at the time, so they could focus all their efforts on ORAS. It was confirmed in an interview with Famitsu that SM only started development after ORAS was completed.

This is not my opinion, it is all from official interviews.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
You say there is nothing to prove that ORAS is a RS remake. Wrong. Masuda himself confirmed that ORAS is a RS remake. Eurogamr Portugal asked him why RS and not an Emerald remake? And he said it is due to RS being a very memorable Project for him, as it was the first original game he created, so he had no doubt he wanted to remake Ruby and Sapphire in particular. (which doesn't mean they can't add any Emerald features at all, and they did introduce the DE and some other Emerald features, but this interview explains why ORAS was more about RS and less about Emerald, as a whole).

Except 1) I said exclusively, which we know is not the case considering Emerald content did exist within the game through elements like the Delta Episode and Battle Frontier allusions, so obviously they did care about Emerald enough if they used those elements. Also, 2) Nothing about that interview says "I didn't want to include Emerald content", it just says "I wanted to remake Ruby and Sapphire", you're just putting your own interpretation into his words.

And the Battle Frontier is really the only important feature that Emerald made, and Masuda already said they consider it is not an interesting feature for modern day players, and that's why they didn't add it to ORAS.

Which is ironic as he included features in ORAS that would be alienating to modern players for the same reasons he brings up. Things like getting Garchompite and the Regis (as well as getting the two special scenarios in the demo as that requires multiple plays of it) are very involved and tedious processes, things that he said he wanted to avoid with including the Battle Frontier. So if we are to take his word at face value, then his words do not quite match up with what was put into the games.

So yes, it can be confirmed that the missing Emerald content, is missing because they decided so, not because they didn't have time.

And what factors into design decisions? That's right, time. As a designer, you have to think to yourself "What can we do? What are we allowed to do? Can we finish this element in time?" and so on. That's the nature of making a game, and yes that can factor into why the Battle Frontier was included.

Also, you ignore that I'm discussing the possibility, not treating it as a probably like you are currently with this argument.

Also, it is clear that a 100 members staff will have more development power than a 40-50 staff, thinking the opposite is delusional. And since NOBODY ever said or implied HGSS had time constraints during development, saying the same thing for a game with a staff TWO TIMES LARGER, is not logical.

I love how you ignore my point. I never said it didn't translate to more developmental power, I said it doesn't negate the limitations that are still placed on the project. Smash is similarly a large project like Pokémon, yet it still undergoes the time constraints and developmental restrictions that many other games do nowadays. Large staff size=/=perfect project, you're still going to make cuts and changes no matter what happens and that won't change from being a 25 member team or a 200 member team, so saying it's 'delusional' to think otherwise just shows that you don't care to understand what the restrictions are when making a game and the possibility of them having an effect on what is present within it.

And interviews are only half the story (and sometimes not even that much depending on the developer), there's also looking into data as that can also show what was intended for the games, but weren't realized. We see this in a lot of games where content is present within the game's data that is never mentioned in interviews, such as Brawl with Mewtwo, and SSB4 with Rhythm Heaven content.

And HGSS wasn't even Game Freak's main focus during development. HGSS was their side project, while BW1 was their main project (both games were developed at the same time)

While ORAS was their main project during development, simply because it was their only project at the time, so they could focus all their efforts on ORAS. It was confirmed in an interview with Famitsu that SM only started development after ORAS was completed.

This is not my opinion, it is all from official interviews.

Firstly, ORAS started true development just after XY and had less time dedicated to it then SM will (1 year vs. 2 years, which is of course ignoring things like brainstorming that likely happened before considering the Strange Souvenir), the same amount of years HGSS had between Platinum and it. So if it's time that you're using as a part of your assessment to say ORAS is definitely not a side project, then that's not supported by what is shown in the release schedule.

Secondly, just because they worked on two projects at the same time doesn't mean they consider one their 'side' one, that's your own interpretation. To GF, a side project can be different then what you're trying to say, it could be HGSS, it could be ORAS, or it could be B2W2. We don't know, and we shouldn't try to pretend we know for certain what they're thinking about each game they make.

That's why I'm only suggesting possibilities and treating them as such. I don't know if GF felt HGSS was a side project, but I'm not going to twist their words into saying it was the case. What you're saying is just an interpretation, they as far as I know don't call HGSS a side project no more then they do with ORAS, and you can't assume as such just to fit your own idea of it.

Last edited:

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Except 1) I said exclusively, which we know is not the case considering Emerald content did exist within the game through elements like the Delta Episode and Battle Frontier allusions, so obviously they did care about Emerald enough if they used those elements. Also, 2) Nothing about that interview says "I didn't want to include Emerald content", it just says "I wanted to remake Ruby and Sapphire", you're just putting your own interpretation into his words.

Saying that he intended for ORAS to be a RS remake specifically, doesn´t mean they can´t add some Emerald content, but it explains why the game keeps more true to RS and doesn't have the goal of having ALL of Emerald's features.

Which is ironic as he included features in ORAS that would be alienating to modern players for the same reasons he brings up. Things like getting Garchompite and the Regis (as well as getting the two special scenarios in the demo as that requires multiple plays of it) are very involved and tedious processes, things that he said he wanted to avoid with including the Battle Frontier. So if we are to take his word at face value, then his words do not quite match up with what was put into the games.
Maybe in Masuda´s opinion those features that you mention, are not annoyingly challenging for modern players, and the BF is. It is his game, and his decisions, and his personal taste (even if we personally disagree with him). It definitely isn´t ironic at all.

And what factors into design decisions? That's right, time. As a designer, you have to think to yourself "What can we do? What are we allowed to do? Can we finish this element in time?" and so on. That's the nature of making a game, and yes that can factor into why the Battle Frontier was included.
Except, as said above, Masuda publically debunked your theory by saying they didn´t want to add a Battle Frontier in the game.
Also, you ignore that I'm discussing the possibility, not treating it as a probably like you are currently with this argument.
There is no "possibly" or "probably" when Masuda debunks it publically.

I love how you ignore my point. I never said it didn't translate to more developmental power, I said it doesn't negate the limitations that are still placed on the project. Smash is similarly a large project like Pokémon, yet it still undergoes the time constraints and developmental restrictions that many other games do nowadays. Large staff size=/=perfect project, you're still going to make cuts and changes no matter what happens and that won't change from being a 25 member team or a 200 member team, so saying it's 'delusional' to think otherwise just shows that you don't care to understand what the restrictions are when making a game and the possibility of them having an effect on what is present within it.
I think you don´t see the hypocricy in this argument. What you are saying is correct: ORAS having a lot more development time and power than HGSS, doesn´t mean it was the perfect development time. But thee hypocritic thing here is how you (and many others like you) constantly imply that ORAS didn´t have enough development time to add this or that feature, and maybe that´s why the Battle F. wasn´t included. The hypocricy comes because of two reasons:
1) You guys never imply the same thing about HGSS, even though HGSS had less development power than ORAS. It is always ORAS that is implied to lack content due to time contraints, when HGSS (and FRLG) had more time constraints. It is ironic that you guys bring up the "time constraints" argument for ORAS only, and not for past remakes that had even more "time constraints" by that logic. But you guys never bring this argument for those past remakes. That´s what I find biased.
2) Masuda has already debunked this theory about time constraints being the reason for the BF´s absence. You are free to think that Masuda is maybe not saying the truth, but if we are going to start doubting official sources of GF, then I would rather drop this argument.
And interviews are only half the story (and sometimes not even that much depending on the developer), there's also looking into data as that can also show what was intended for the games, but weren't realized. We see this in a lot of games where content is present within the game's data that is never mentioned in interviews, such as Brawl with Mewtwo, and SSB4 with Rhythm Heaven content.
You keep comparing Pokemon to this other game series that isn´t Pokemon. And frankly, I only care about Pokemon in this argument.
Firstly, ORAS started true development just after XY and had less time dedicated to it then SM will (1 year vs. 2 years, which is of course ignoring things like brainstorming that likely happened before considering the Strange Souvenir), the same amount of years HGSS had between Platinum and it. So if it's time that you're using as a part of your assessment to say ORAS is definitely not a side project, then that's not supported by what is shown in the release schedule.
According to official sources, ORAS started development after XY was finished. The development period was one year. And SM only started development AFTER ORAS were already out. In other words, during this one year period, no second game was in development, only ORAS. So the entire GF staff worked on this one game only. HGSS, on the other hand, was developed by 40- 50 members which is only half of GF´s staff (Team B), because the other half (Team A) was developing Black1/White1. Whenever GF are developing two projects simultaneously, the new generation game is the main project, and the remake/third version is the side project. That´s why I said HGSS was a side project, and ORAS was not a side project. Simply because SM wasn´t in development when ORAS was, and they focused all their resources towards ORAS.
Secondly, just because they worked on two projects at the same time doesn't mean they consider one their 'side' one, that's your own interpretation. To GF, a side project can be different then what you're trying to say, it could be HGSS, it could be ORAS, or it could be B2W2. We don't know, and we shouldn't try to pretend we know for certain what they're thinking about each game they make.
Whenever there are 2 games in development at the same time, the main project is always the one developed by Team A, and the side project is alway the project made by Team B.

That's why I'm only suggesting possibilities and treating them as such. I don't know if GF felt HGSS was a side project, but I'm not going to twist their words into saying it was the case. What you're saying is just an interpretation, they as far as I know don't call HGSS a side project no more then they do with ORAS, and you can't assume as such just to fit your own idea of it.
I understand your point, don't get me wrong, but I am using logical conclusions and backing them up with Game Freak´s official comments. You are just saying "but we can´t know for sure", even though all logic points towards my assumptions being correct, and GF publically confirms them.

But anyway, I am done with this discussion because it basically amounts to me saying "But all logic and GF themselves confirm my argument is correct" and you answering "But this is just your interpretation". And it is getting repetitive.

Last edited:

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Saying that he intended for ORAS to be a RS remake specifically, doesn´t mean they can´t add some Emerald content, but it explains why the game keeps more true to RS and doesn't have the goal of having ALL of Emerald's features.

It only shows that it wasn't a necessity, not that it wasn't a possibility if they so desired.

Maybe in Masuda´s opinion those features that you mention, are not annoyingly challenging for modern players, and the BF is. It is his game, and his decisions, and his personal taste (even if we personally disagree with him). It definitely isn´t ironic at all.

No it is ironic because all three of those aspects are actions that directly require more effort, time, and work put into them to do then many of the other activities in the game. Just because he may not (key word being may, as he never comments on them) think so doesn't mean that they weren't tedious and time-consuming in nature.

Except, as said above, Masuda publically debunked your theory by saying they didn´t want to add a Battle Frontier in the game.

Using a reason that is considered dubious by many fans and could be masking the full reason, or is only a partial reason. Masuda and many other developers aren't always as straightforward as you want him to be. Hell, he actually did talk about Gyms in one interview concerning SM, where he cleverly didn't say anything about it being missing from the games when asked about why Gyms are kept, he just said something along the lines of "we usually have Gyms because it's an element that we feel we must keep, and we don't usually change those unless there's something else that may be worthwhile." That comment did convince some that we'd keep Gyms for SM, but it ended up being that they found their equivalent that they were willing to use instead.

There is no "possibly" or "probably" when Masuda debunks it publically.

You can have multiple reasons for why something isn't there, and developers don't always tell the full story.

1) You guys never imply the same thing about HGSS, even though HGSS had less development power than ORAS. It is always ORAS that is implied to lack content due to time contraints, when HGSS (and FRLG) had more time constraints. It is ironic that you guys bring up the "time constraints" argument for ORAS only, and not for past remakes that had even more "time constraints" by that logic. But you guys never bring this argument for those past remakes. That´s what I find biased.

I don't think I ever mentioned whether or not I think HGSS has time constraints, that's an assumption on your part.

2) Masuda has already debunked this theory about time constraints being the reason for the BF´s absence. You are free to think that Masuda is maybe not saying the truth, but if we are going to start doubting official sources of GF, then I would rather drop this argument.

I just think there's more to the reason why it's not there then what is presented in an interview as not everything is told through the words of a statement and you can't take everything at face value, some things are left untold or unexplained based on what the developer wants to tell to the audience. For instance, Sakurai wouldn't say that the Subspace Emissary drew a lot of resources that potentially cost development for other features like characters, he's just say it was a large undertaking for a project, and that's because he wouldn't want to tell an audience that highly values the characters included into the game that his idea ended up potentially drawing attention away from that aspect of development.

Now I'm not saying that's true, I'm just throwing out a random example of where such a thing could be said. The Battle Frontier could be a similar case, Masuda may've just used one of the reasons why it was cut, Masuda may've just picked a reason on the spot since he didn't think he'd be asked the question, so on and so forth. Interviews will never be the full view into the developer's minds, that's where fans digging in comes in as they may discover what may've happened in full behind the scenes.

You keep comparing Pokemon to this other game series that isn´t Pokemon. And frankly, I only care about Pokemon in this argument.

When your initial point was basically "larger team=perfect development", then it doesn't matter if it is or isn't Pokémon as it's a statement that can be refuted by other examples. Smash is a great example as we have a good view of what development was like with those games, so we can see that clearly Brawl having a larger team and more time definitely did not lead to a perfect development as aspects were still cut. Pokémon is harder to gauge since we don't have as much data on the subject like with Smash, but we do know things are dummied out over development such as the God Stone in BW, Gardevoir using Fairy Wind in early XY promotions while not being able to in the actual games, and Gastrodon being intended to be in RSE through Ken Sugimori's interview.

According to official sources, ORAS started development after XY was finished. The development period was one year. And SM only started development AFTER ORAS were already out. In other words, during this one year period, no second game was in development, only ORAS.

Main development-wise, maybe, but conceptually I doubt that SM was completely undeveloped as we have the Strange Souvenir existing within XY, so they were planning something for SM before ORAS even started its development. Also, XY was worked on conceptually before BW's release, and was being developed during B2W2's release, even though both of those games would not be considered "side projects" in fan's eyes.

I honestly doubt that GF looks at how the teams are spread out as a way to determine which project is less important to them. HGSS, BW, B2W2, and XY are very important to the company and I'm sure they enjoyed working on each of those games, so I don't think it's really fair to consider any of those four lesser projects when they still had a lot of effort and love put into them.

I understand your point, don't get me wrong, but I am using logical conclusions and backing them up with Game Freak´s official comments. You are just saying "but we can´t know for sure", even though all logic points towards my assumptions being correct, and GF publically confirms them.

And I do understand that you're trying to use the interviews as a guide to find out what happened in development, I just don't think it's always going to be the full picture. Watching the development of games like Smash has taught me that interviews are limited in what the developer tells us, whether by their own choice, the questions asked, or otherwise, and that's why many do look deeper then them to find out more about the situation. If it wasn't for that sleuth work, we wouldn't find out about things like Rhythm Heaven having content in the game, DLC being planned for Pokken (when the developers blatantly said they had no plans for it at the time), and other things.

Sometimes we should take a developer's words at face value, but other times there are cases where they're masking the full extent of the situation. The Battle Frontier could be one such situation, that's all I'm saying as we don't fully understand what went on behind the scenes with ORAS' development.

Last edited:

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
It only shows that it wasn't a necessity, not that it wasn't a possibility if they so desired.
Yes, "if they so desired". Which they didn´t desire, as confirmed by Masuda´s other interview.
No it is ironic because all three of those aspects are actions that directly require more effort, time, and work put into them to do then many of the other activities in the game. Just because he may not (key word being may, as he never comments on them) think so doesn't mean that they weren't tedious and time-consuming in nature.
Exactly. It all boils down to what they wanna do. So why do you constantly doubt and question their intentions?

You can have multiple reasons for why something isn't there, and developers don't always tell the full story.
Haven´t you heard the expression: "Innocent, until proven otherwise"? Considering we can´t ever know the full picture, because we are not insiders, why not concede the benefit of doubt to Game Freak, and believe what they publically confirm? I am. You can continue doubting everything they say and do.

I don't think I ever mentioned whether or not I think HGSS has time constraints, that's an assumption on your part.
It is a logical assumption that I am making, based on you saying "HGSS included everything from Crystal, ORAS maybe didn´t have time to include evertything from Emerald". You make it sound as if HGSS did things right, and ORAS was rushed due to time constraints. Which, as already explained, is false. ORAS had more development time than HGSS.

I just think there's more to the reason why it's not there then what is presented in an interview as not everything is told through the words of a statement and you can't take everything at face value, some things are left untold or unexplained based on what the developer wants to tell to the audience. For instance, Sakurai wouldn't say that the Subspace Emissary drew a lot of resources that potentially cost development for other features like characters, he's just say it was a large undertaking for a project, and that's because he wouldn't want to tell an audience that highly values the characters included into the game that his idea ended up potentially drawing attention away from that aspect of development.

Now I'm not saying that's true, I'm just throwing out a random example of where such a thing could be said. The Battle Frontier could be a similar case, Masuda may've just used one of the reasons why it was cut, Masuda may've just picked a reason on the spot since he didn't think he'd be asked the question, so on and so forth. Interviews will never be the full view into the developer's minds, that's where fans digging in comes in as they may discover what may've happened in full behind the scenes.
Again, why constantly live in doubt, and not just believing what the developers that make your favourite games are saying to us? As I said before, they are saying the truth, until proven the opposite. And we can´t prove the opposite, so why not just believe them?

Also, it´s hard to have a discussion, when one of the sides (you) is constantly doubting every single source of official information that we have access to. Your "but we can´t know if they are saying the entire truth" attitude is just making this discusson pointless.

Main development-wise, maybe, but conceptually I doubt that SM was completely undeveloped as we have the Strange Souvenir existing within XY, so they were planning something for SM before ORAS even started its development. Also, XY was worked on conceptually before BW's release, and was being developed during B2W2's release, even though both of those games would not be considered "side projects" in fan's eyes.
You are really confusing conceptual development with ACTUAL development. Yes, all games have conceptual developmen before ACTUAL PHYSICAL development begins. SM could have been in conceptual development since XY, and we know from official sources (Ohmori and Masuda) that ORAS was in conceptual development since after BW2. So it´s the same.

The key difference, however, is that conceptual development of a game, doesn´t take time and resources away from an other game that is in physical development. Conceptual development only takes a few key people´s time. Everybody else (the working force of a company) continues developing what they are developing and no development resources are wasted.

In other words, when they say ORAS was in development for one year, they mean physical develoment. It was actually in development for 2+ years, if we count conceptual development.

So when I said ORAS was a main project because no other game was developed at the time ORAS was, I meant no other game was in physical development then. That is the difference between ORAS , and ALL past remakes/third versions. All of them (HGSS, FRLG, Emerald, Platinum, etc) were the side project, while they were working on an other new-gen game simultaneously (both games being in PHYSICAL development, meaning develoment resources have to be shared between both projects).
I honestly doubt that GF looks at how the teams are spread out as a way to determine which project is less important to them. HGSS, BW, B2W2, and XY are very important to the company and I'm sure they enjoyed working on each of those games, so I don't think it's really fair to consider any of those four lesser projects when they still had a lot of effort and love put into them.
I am calling HGSS and FRLG, and Emerald, Platinum, etc, side projects from a development perspective. Not from a quality perspective, or fans perspective. In no way are they lesser games, it´s just they weren´t the main focus during their development, due to a new game (beginning of the next Gen) requiring a bigger portion of their development resourcees.

Which wasn´t the case with ORAS, as no other game was being made during ORAS´s development, that´s all.

And I do understand that you're trying to use the interviews as a guide to find out what happened in development, I just don't think it's always going to be the full picture. Watching the development of games like Smash has taught me that interviews are limited in what the developer tells us, whether by their own choice, the questions asked, or otherwise, and that's why many do look deeper then them to find out more about the situation. If it wasn't for that sleuth work, we wouldn't find out about things like Rhythm Heaven having content in the game, DLC being planned for Pokken (when the developers blatantly said they had no plans for it at the time), and other things.

Sometimes we should take a developer's words at face value, but other times there are cases where they're masking the full extent of the situation. The Battle Frontier could be one such situation, that's all I'm saying as we don't fully understand what went on behind the scenes with ORAS' development.
So I choose to believe GF´s official info, and you choose not to. No point continuing the discussion.

Last edited:

Solaire_of_Astora

Warrior of Sunlight
Emerald was way better than ORAS in my opinion.

Emerald had a story that made you tackle both Team Magma and Team Aqua. It had that sweet cutscene where Rayquaza comes flying down and roars at Kyogre and Groudon.(While Delta Episode was cool and all, I still prefer the Emerald Cutscene XD ) Then it had the Battle Frontier!! I was pretty disappointed when I found out we just got a copy paste of the Battle Maison and a tease of the Battle Tower. Y_Y Wasn't a fan of the Battle Maison whatsoever. Dat hax!

But I will say in order of my favorite games:
Crystal and SoulSilver
Emerald
XY
ORAS
DPP
BW

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I liked it. But it still felt like a downgrade without the Battle Frontier. And after X/Y, it felt strange being stuck with the white hat.... when you could customize. And redesigns were cool, I just wasn't a fan of how every Team Aqua member had to go tan it looked good for Shelly but Archie and Matt...... hardly looked different from each other imo. And they added some cool new stuff like Lissia, Zinnia, episode Delta.... letting us catch an event Pokemon for the first time, hope that happens again. Maybe if D/P get remakes, Darkrai can be a part of the game since him and Cresslia are opposites and she certainly isn't an event.
HG/SS remain the best remakes.

lactatingRHINO7

1. B2W2
2. HGSS
3. BW
4. ORAS
5. Platinum

I really enjoy ORAS and I'm super nostalgic about R/S/E but I have to admit I was a little disappointed (I don't think I'm alone in feeling this lol). It did a lot right (soaring, Delta episode, Super Secret Bases, Legendaries) but there was a number of things it did that I didn't like (and I'm not just talking about no Battle Frontier). I hate how segmented Hoenn felt. In the originals, you could run from Littleroot Town all the way to Petalburg Woods without loading screens or terminal/gate things, but in ORAS when you leave most towns or enter most routes there would be a brief pause for (what I assume is) loading. I also hate how much easier they made the game. I don't even want to be offered the option to warp somewhere. I want it to feel like and adventure. I guess those are nitpicks though. All-in-all it was pretty solid.

Cerex

Honestly, had ORAS come out before BW2, I would say it was the best of the main series games, but given that a lot of Emerald Features were left out, which was not the case when it came to HG/SS remakes of G/S/C, and BW2 happened. I don't think OR/AS was as good as it could have been. BW2 was just awesome to play. It was a sequel, it expanded the region tremendously, it carried on the story. It brought it so many new features. And you had a lot of strong trainers to keep you busy. It was just fantastic, and it should be the measure by which Pokemon games will be judged in terms of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.