• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where do you think Let's Go fits in the timeline? Or rather do you think this is a new timeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So if you know your lore well and if you see some gameplay footage of this remake, your probably saying to yourself... "I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS!"

In the remake there are already a fair amount of small changes that appear to conflict with FRLG and RB. A great example is Jessie and James. For a long time Jessie and James have been thought by some fans as non-canon, some fans thought that Yellow version is non-canon even though Red's official team may say otherwise. If you know the games well they barely touch any lore from the anime. Those two characters have never been mentioned in any game since Yellow... until now. Some people are starting to think that maybe Jessie and James are originally canon, others think that this is part of a hinting towards an alternate timeline. To be fair, the latter of a new alternate timeline is not far off either as not only Jessie and James make a return, your rival isn't Green but is instead a boy named Trace, your friendly new rival. Although he looks similar you can tell GameFreak has made enough differences to his face and personality that he is different from Green. This adds to the question are Red and Leaf even Red and Leaf. Are the male and female protagonist, even though they look like fresh new updates to Red and Leaf, entirely new characters? To add to this, GameFreak plans on dedicating Let's Go into it's own separate series from the core series, meaning we could see future remakes of future regions and we will probably see unexpected changes, like Trace or Jessie and James, in those regions. For example, we may actually see Krys over Lyra in a Let's Go Johto title similar to how the "Red" of this Let's Go title is more modeled after his original look in the original games.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'd say it really comes down to how the story is handled, and we can't really say one way or another until we see it. Initially, I had assumed that there was no reason this had to be a new timeline, due to the new playable characters meaning this would likely be an entirely new story, and therefore possibly a sequel to the original Kanto events. However, since then, the more we learn about the story, the more it seems to be a copy-paste of Yellow's story, just with different playable characters. So unless the original Red and Blue appear in this game to prove otherwise, it's beginning to look like these games take place in their own timeline and are a new version of the original events.

PirateKing

I think these games are going to take place either simultaneously along side RBY/FRLG, or like 10 minutes to an hour after.

Red and Blue are characters in the game, and we follow along side them as they go on their original journey. Like while Red defeats Brock and goes to Mt. Moon, we're leaving Viridian Forest and entering Pewter City. Since Red has stalled Team Rockets operation in Mt. Moon by the time we get there, Jessie and James are sent there to find out what the heck happened, and our player fights them there, just like Yellow.
Or when Red is taking out Team Rocket in Celedon Game Corner, we get to follow along with what Blue was doing during that time, and we go to the Game Corner Hideout ourselves after that and defeat Team Rocket as they try and regroup.

This allows the events of the original games to play out mostly similar to how they're supposed to, but gives the opportunity for some different twists and turns in the story, which can mimic changes that Yellow Version Incorporated from the originals.

Occasionally we'll catch up to Red and Blue and get to battle them like Rivals, and get story moments where we see how Red and Blue's journeys actually happened in Canon, with the new characters take the place of player avatars.

Maybe Jessie and James take over the Viridian City Gym after Red kicks Giovanni out, and they become the 8th Gym leaders. And like Blue became the champion 10 minutes before Red...Red himself became champion 10 minutes before us, and he becomes the final battle.

Sabre_King

I think until the games come out it’s really hard to say, on one hand it can be viewed as an alternate timeline because there are many similarities to yellow. On the other hand this could be a follow up in the time line more likely to red and blue then yellow but that would be dependent on the events of this game and if we see older versions of red and blue. I think the presence of versions of red and blue would answer this question so whether it’s revealed at release time of the game when we play or revealed in a highlight trailer then we won’t know until then.

Ariki

I would say Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee are safely their own continuity on the other side of an Ultra Wormhole and that the appearance of Jessie and James makes them cannon immigrants from the anime in that continuity.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I think these games are going to take place either simultaneously along side RBY/FRLG, or like 10 minutes to an hour after.

Interesting idea, but that doesn't work. The player character lives in the same house as Red in Pallet Town, so unless we're playing as the secret sibling of Red, that just can't be the case. Much easier to just say it's an alternate timeline where different characters replace Red and Blue.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
If we're talking about TIMELINE, then I think this happens at the same time RBGY/FRLG happened.
If we're speaking of MULTIVERSE, then this is on its own universe separate from the rest of the series.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I believe It was confirmed that Let's GO does not take place in any previous timeline, as it is a completely separate remake.

If this is the case, we'll have to just assume it's in some other random world in the multiverse.

_Proteus_

Tracey 's replaced Blue in this game, but according to the leaker who nailed every single aspect of this game (yellow remake, no pichu, the title) Blue 'll show up several times in this game.
He'll be the same of RBY? maybe
But he could appear with a different age, like in Alola.

There's a lot of speculation about a second poster in the Game corner, ripped off. As if Team Rocket is repeting their evil plans they did in the past, with no Red around this time.
Or eventually a Giovanni has come from a parallel dimension.

Some people think ORAS takes place in the same timeline of XY, opposite than the original games, so why not Kanto too.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I would say it fairly simply takes place concurrently with Yellow in a universe in which Mega Evolution exists.

To speculate as to whether it takes place alongside ORAS, for example (as FRLG were to RSE), would require some knowledge of whether the differences between Yellow and RBG were significant enough so as to constitute a separate universe within the Pokemon Multiverse. That is, are Jessie and James present in the primary continuity? Was the protagonist of Yellow just Red, or a version of him more close to Ash?

Since these are Yellow remakes and not a third sequence of the mainline Kanto games we're used to, one might argue that we can't efficiently connect them to ORAS, SM/USUM, or XY, because the continuity/universe placement of their counterpart is ambiguous.

Lumineon457

Based on the latest trailer depicting
Red, Green, and Blue
in their Gen I outfits, I'm inclined to rule out FRLG's timeline.

So, if it is an existing timeline, RGB's timeline. Which would make things extra-awkward for Yellow.

Nockturne

My hope is its in its own brand new "Let's Go" universe/timeline and they continue to make Let's Go Johto, Let's Go Hoenn etc in this new independent time line in such a way that there is a sense of cohesion between the games. Or at least that games that supposedly happen concurrently acknowledge each other, like a news report in Let's Go Hoenn about some kid taking down a criminal organisation in Kanto.

A new Let's Go timeline would be a great opportunity for them to redo the series with the beauty of hindsight, and really smooth out some of the cracks.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Given the presence of Mega Evolution as well as Jessie and James, it seems to be its own, unique universe.

Pokemon Power

Judging from text in all the main series games, I've come to the conclusion that there are at least nine game universes. The first is the Classic Universe, where the story of Red, Blue and Yellow took place, followed by the events of Gold, Silver and Crystal three years later. Second is the Advanced Universe, where FireRed and LeafGreen, followed by HeartGold and SoulSilver took place, with the events of Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald happening at the same time as FRLG, and the events of Diamond, Pearl and Platinum happening at the same time as HGSS, then continuing years later with the events of Black and White, followed by the events of Black and White 2, two years later. Third, there's the Mega Universe, which starts with the events of Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, and the events of OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphre happening at the same time, followed by it's own versions of the Johto and Sinnoh adventures, then it's version of the Unova adventures, then the events of X and Y, then the Alola games. Of course, we can't forget about the six universes the divisions of Team Rainbow Rocket came from. That said of course, I'm suspecting that we'll be seeing new versions of the Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova adventures set in the Mega Universe in the future.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I think it's at the start of the Mega-timeline from XY, ORAS, and SuMo. The Kanto equivalent of that timeline. So the Red and Blue that appear in SuMo are the same as the ones in LGPE.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I think it's at the start of the Mega-timeline from XY, ORAS, and SuMo. The Kanto equivalent of that timeline. So the Red and Blue that appear in SuMo are the same as the ones in LGPE.
I am not so sure about that part though with sumo red had grayish brown hair awhile red in let's go pikachu and eevee have classic black hair from the gen 1/2's era.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I am not so sure about that part though with sumo red had grayish brown hair awhile red in let's go pikachu and eevee have classic black hair from the gen 1/2's era.

Hair changes over time...? My hair gets lighter as it grows and my beard hair turns red and white the longer it gets. I don't think its unreasonable to think that his hair changed in the years between the 2

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Mmmm .......

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
This timeline stuff that's been going on since ORAS is honestly really pointless. Pokemon is constantly contradicting itself with each new installment, so I have no idea why people keep trying to categorize it into two timelines.

Multiverse theory states that there are an infinite number of parallel universes. An infinite number of different scenarios. Heck, you could argue that each individual game people buy is its own separate timeline. They're all very similar, but things (like Pokemon teams and whatnot) aren't always the same.

...This does bring in the question what happens to said timelines when you delete your save, but that's a discussion for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.