• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where does Pokémon stand as your favorite anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaibachaoschampion

Feather Trainer
It's sad, because I thought the beginning of Unova was great, and I was even going to put it higher than Kanto in my rankings. Sadly, I have to say the Unova Saga got much worse after it's beginnings, IMO.

Yeah, it did. Though one of my favourite episodes is the Porygon episode in Kanto, too bad what happened with that >.<.

STICKTOPIA

It's the only anime I watch so.... yea it's my favorite

Yeah, it did. Though one of my favourite episodes is the Porygon episode in Kanto, too bad what happened with that >.<.

The "Electric Solder Porygon!" episode? From what I heard, Maddie Blaustein, who was the second voice actor in the dub from Meowth, said 4Kids dubbed it but it was never release. I've seen the subbed episode (obviously without the flashing lights) and it is a good episode, but I think it was banned for the whole seizure incident in the United States. I kinda don't blame the dubbers for that one.

Last edited:

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
I actually saw the Porygon episode a few days ago, and the flashing lights weren't that big a deal to me. Were the lights way brighter in the original airing?

I actually saw the Porygon episode a few days ago, and the flashing lights weren't that big a deal to me. Were the lights way brighter in the original airing?

Yup, so bright in fact, that thousands of Japanese children got seizures from watching the episode. Since then, there's always been a warning at the beginning of the eps stating something along the lines "Please watch in a well-lit room and some distance from the TV screen." The series even went on hiatus in JPN for a while during the first season because of the episode in question.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Eh, I've seen the original scene with the really harsh flashing lights a few times now and while I can understand how that caused some children harm (because heck, it hurt my eyes), I must say that anyone with even quarter of a brain cell can see that it was caused by Pikachu blowing up some missiles and had nothing whatsoever to do with Porygon.. So what does that tell you about the anime team?

gohan5

Irisboy
Eh, I've seen the original scene with the really harsh flashing lights a few times now and while I can understand how that caused some children harm (because heck, it hurt my eyes), I must say that anyone with even quarter of a brain cell can see that it was caused by Pikachu blowing up some missiles and had nothing whatsoever to do with Porygon.. So what does that tell you about the anime team?

That they love Pikachu, obviously.

I think why Porygon or it's evolutions haven't been seen since isn't because they caused it, but rather a sort of superstition kind of thing. Porygon was the main Pokemon so they think focusing on it again could be disastrous. The same thing happened with Whiscash and a majority of ground type moves, like Earthquake. Does it make the most sense? No, but that's how things are.

That they love Pikachu, obviously.

I think why Porygon or it's evolutions haven't been seen since isn't because they caused it, but rather a sort of superstition kind of thing. Porygon was the main Pokemon so they think focusing on it again could be disastrous. The same thing happened with Whiscash and a majority of ground type moves, like Earthquake. Does it make the most sense? No, but that's how things are.

You got it, spot-on. It's a shame, though, for sure.

You're right, though, it wasn't Porygon to blame.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
They should surely know that they can involve it again, without adding ridiculous amounts of flashing lights.. What were they taking at the time of production, to think that was a good idea anyway? "Yeah there's a lot of epileptic kids around the world who watch tv, lets include intense red and blue flashing lights in our incredibly popular anime".. duh.

Anyway, they've made Jynx's appearance acceptable to the over-protective, moronic and actually quite racist parents, so why can't they make Porygon appear in an acceptable and non-flashy way?

..and don't even get me started on them thinking an anime earthquake is comparable to a real life one, because it truly disgusts me that they try to link the pain felt in those real life experiences with a magical creature banging on the ground and making a crack.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013

Well, as Dogasu said, they blamed Porygon because it was associated with the episode. Pokémon are generally associated with an episode. For instance, if I say "remember the Hypno episode?", you'd assume I was talking about "Hypno's Naptime". And if I say "remember the Ditto episode", you'd think "that's Ditto's Mysterious Mansion, isn't it?". Because of that, Porygon was given the blame, so you can't really blame the animé team for that (most other things, however...).

Well, as Dogasu said, they blamed Porygon because it was associated with the episode. Pokémon are generally associated with an episode. For instance, if I say "remember the Hypno episode?", you'd assume I was talking about "Hypno's Naptime". And if I say "remember the Ditto episode", you'd think "that's Ditto's Mysterious Mansion, isn't it?". Because of that, Porygon was given the blame, so you can't really blame the animé team for that (most other things, however...).

Yup, this is definitely true.

*~Silver*~

The "Electric Solder Porygon!" episode? From what I heard, Maddie Blaustein, who was the second voice actor in the dub, said 4Kids dubbed it but it was never release. I've seen the subbed episode (obviously without the flashing lights) and it is a good episode, but I think it was banned for the whole seizure incident in the United States. I kinda don't blame the dubbers for that one.

I've never seen the episode, because I can't seem to find a site that has it available with the flashing lights part excluded. I've found websites that HAVE it, but they all have warnings at the beginning of the video telling you that the flashing lights are still in there. I don't blame them for not releasing in the United States, but I do wish I could at least find it somewhere. *Sigh*

Very high for me. It's one of my favorite animes. I'm a very optimistic person, so changes really don't get to me. Even when Misty left, I didn't complain like some of the older fans did. And Best Wishes is a good saga, even if some of the things are kind of whacky.

*~Silver*~

Oops. Left the actual reason for this topic out of my post. xD

Pokemon is actually my very favorite anime simply because, to be honest, I don't like anime in general. I like Pokemon, that's it. A lot of people in my school assume I'm into all anime because I like Pokemon, but no, just Pokemon. I do watch Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra, but those are made entirely in the United States, so I guess they don't really count.

pokefandt

Not gonna lie it ranks pretty low for me. Its because there are other shows that basically blow the Pokemon anime out of the water. FMA, Digimon, Madoka Magica, One Piece, Cowboy Bebop, Serei no Moribito, and many, many others make Pokemon look pretty bad in comparison.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Pokemon is actually on the bottom of my anime list. Best Wishes brought it down under Yugioh zexal and Vanguard.

I've never seen the episode, because I can't seem to find a site that has it available with the flashing lights part excluded. I've found websites that HAVE it, but they all have warnings at the beginning of the video telling you that the flashing lights are still in there. I don't blame them for not releasing in the United States, but I do wish I could at least find it somewhere. *Sigh*

Will let you know if I find the link somewhere. :)

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
It's definitely not my favorite anime. I've watched some animes that I think are a lot better then Pokemon. It's not that bad (though I really don't like BW and stopped watching for that reason) but it's definitely not my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.