• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where does Pokémon stand as your favorite anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
Where does Pokémon stand as your favorite anime?

Remake of one of my old threads, but more fleshed out. You can have negative opinions, but no bashing. You can also feel free to break it down to individual sagas.

For me, Pokémon is among the top, it has good music, good characters that are not cliche anime stereotypes, humor (it ain't Animaniacs, but it's funny), and doesn't have stupid, ridiculous deus ex machina after stupid DEM, and doesn't take itself too seriously. The only anime for me that beat Pokémon at its best are YYH and Rurouni Kenshin.

If Pokémon isn't one of your favorites, what aspects do you think it beats other anime in?

BONUS QUESTION: For those who don't like at least one of the sagas, where would you rank each other one? (Can include Kanto, OI, Johto, Hoenn, etc.)

Last edited:

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Doesn't even register as a blip on the radar for me anymore. Best Wishes effectively killed any interest I had left in the series.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
Its the only anime I watch....

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Pretty low, but it's good enough to make me avoid watching the new Beyblade.

And even then, The Legend of Korra is the top anime I have ever watched (despite the awful ending), yet it's an Americanized anime!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It's been dead last on my favorites list ever since Best Wishes started. The writing and the action for this series has been a huge let down for me. I prefer anime that are written well and have lots of intense action in it like Naruto and DBZ.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Nostalgic-wise, it's up there. But as I haven't watched the anime all the way since the end of Hoenn, and I have found much better anime in that time frame, it's really low on my list to date. While it's my least favorite nor do I completely hate the anime, I wouldn't watch it unless I really want to return to my childhood for a half-hour or so. Or just for the laughs, since the 4KIDS dub had fun with the writing... in a way. At least with Team Rocket's characters. They were probably the reason why we watched the anime for as long as we have, they're really fun characters.

Arceusgamer14

I don't know why but it's still my favorite anime for some reason (Maybe because of the characters and it's movies) I do think Best wishes is my least favorite saga and have hopes that the next saga will be better as I hope for!

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
To those who ranked it low because of BW (or a newer saga), where would you place the older sagas?

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
doesn't have stupid, ridiculous deus ex machina after stupid DEM

Yes it does. That is how Pokémon typically evolve - not through training, but through miraculous Arceus-given strength at a convenient moment.

And really, my appreciation for the show has gone rock bottom, honestly. Every episode is mostly the same, every movie is mostly the same, little effort is put into the writing and the whole thing is made for one reason: to sell toys.

Hell, even Transformers and My Little Pony are trying to appeal to fans both old and new and have shows that have decent writing. Pokémon? Focus only on kids, pretend everyone else never existed, don't try making a good story, just write anything and here comes the moolah!

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
It's not as bad as in other anime, I heard the DEM gets much worse later on (I'm on a Master Quest).

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
It's the only anime I watch.. but then that's only out of habit after growing up with it in my life since the age of six.. But anime as a whole is complete garbage, especially that Dinosaur King crap that keeps popping up on my tv before Pokemon. I've tried watching Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon and many others out if curiosity and felt like killing myself after five minutes, promptly turning it off and watching something that takes a bit of talent to make instead.

SapphSabre777

Yes it does. That is how Pokémon typically evolve - not through training, but through miraculous Arceus-given strength at a convenient moment.

And really, my appreciation for the show has gone rock bottom, honestly. Every episode is mostly the same, every movie is mostly the same, little effort is put into the writing and the whole thing is made for one reason: to sell toys.

Hell, even Transformers and My Little Pony are trying to appeal to fans both old and new and have shows that have decent writing. Pokémon? Focus only on kids, pretend everyone else never existed, don't try making a good story, just write anything and here comes the moolah!

Congratulations, you are doing it right. It is really disappointing that this is all we have...the B2/W2 anime preview was good imo, but instead we get a little 10 year old DEMing episode-after-episode.

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Welp, so much for not bashing.

I have no idea where Pokemon lies compared to the other animes I watch because I don't really bother to rank things like that, but it's up there somewhere. It's definitely not a masterpiece of a show, but it's a lot better than certain sectors in the fandom make it out to be, and it has quite a few charms. For one, it's pretty much the only Pokemon adaptation that actually looks at how Pokemon and humans live together aside from training and battling, and it comes up with some fairly interesting ideas and stories in the process. Not to mention it's just plain heartwarming and funny and cute.

Blessed

It doesn't really rank anywhere really, my interest died in the third generation. But even as I continued, there were rehashes and boring fillers which really didn't interest me in the slightest. Now, I just watch it as a hobby and to grade the episodes in their respective threads.

Last edited:
It was actually my favorite anime, when 4Kids was dubbing it that is (aka the first eight seasons of the English dub). When TPCi took over, I was less than enthused... and outraged to say the least. Eventually, however, I've gotten used to TPCi's style of dubbing as well. True, the anime has so many various flaws, but it's a nice show and has a lot of good qualities for all the crap it has as well. I do wish the dub had: 1) retained the original dub voice actors and 2) those who had made those music albums and the intros/endings. As for the show: 1) it would completely reboot and Ash and TRio would leave, 2) characters would be replaced only when necessary, and such, but Pokemon also teaches you one important thing: that you must accept change for what it is. You may not like it, but you have to adapt to different circumstances. I have a lot of friends who like OS, AG, DP, and BW, and like the current seasons better as well. However, I also have many friends who like the older seasons more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.