1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Where is this artwork from?

Discussion in 'Pokemon Merchandise' started by shoz999, May 27, 2019.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

[​IMG]

I just found this piece of Pokemon Adventures artwork but it looks official even with the weird logo because if this is a knock-off, this is a really really REALLY good knock-off of Satoshi Yamamoto's artstyle, from the way he draws the Pokemon, especially the eyes, to the way his detail in coloring is similar to that of Ken Sugimori's own coloring. This honestly does not look like fanart, this looks like the real deal. Has anyone seen this piece of artwork before and if so, where is it from? Judging by the Pokemon, this was during the Gen 3 era.

2. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

Might just be a mistake, but in that image Raikou's mane is blue, but Raikou's mane is almost always depicted as a deep purple color, or yellow in the case of shiny Raikou. Doesn't necessarily mean anything but it's worth pointing out.

shoz999 likes this.
  3. shoz999

Weird mistake. @lolipiece, @Shadao , @TotallyNotCrt Do you know anything about this piece of artwork?

4. Shadao

Shadao Champion GETTO DA ZE!

Copyright date is 2005, just before Gen IV hit the scene. As for "The Armageddon" title, it's quite obscured. I presume it's a gaming/anime magazine like Nintendo Power, Animerica or Top Deck. But I could not find anything about The Armageddon. Closest was the Armageddon Expo in Australia/New Zeland, but I don't think it's the same one.

2005 was also the year that Bulbapedia was established, meaning that the Pokémon fan community was only recently organizing information gathered from magazines, games and manuals. And it's likely that many Pokémon materials might have slipped under the radar. I have no reason to believe that this is fake since, after all, nobody has ever delved into further research on Mato's life and work (her entry in Bulbapedia is a stub) and there still exist no entries regarding those Pokémon Anime Choose Your Own Adventures book drawn by Mato herself.

Leonhart, Redstar45 and shoz999 like this.
  5. shoz999

Thank you for looking into this. So it really is that old huh? I take it from your words that this was some kind of ad or promotion of "The Armageddon" which is possibly some kind of event happening? Also from your reaction, I'm guessing this is your first time you've seen this picture? Another thing that just hit me of what you said. You mentioned how that this artwork is pretty early for it's time, during 2005. That's around the same time Satoshi Yamamoto was still working on his first Pokemon Adventures adaptation, Ruby & Sapphire which may explain Raikou's blue miscoloring, a possible mistake early on in his career as the second Pokemon Adventures artist. Just a guess but maybe this was Satoshi Yamamoto showing off his artistic skills to Pokemon fans as the still-new Pokemon Adventures artist at the time.

6. Shadao

Shadao Champion GETTO DA ZE!

It's possible that it's a promotion for the Armageddon Expo, but there are no official links to that notion. The Armageddon Expo website doesn't show this artwork, and this was likely a poster within a magazine based on the fold line (it cannot be the cover since no good magazine would have a part of the title folded at the back).

The only thing that is certain is that copyright print at the bottom left corner of the artwork:

© 2005 Nintendo, Creatures™, GAMEFREAK - TV Tokyo, ShoPro, JBiKikaku

Reddit apparently discussed this artwork over six years ago. So this artwork was floating online since at least 2012 (October 18, 2012 to be precise).