• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where (or what?) is the pokemon world?

BCVM22

I remember Ash saying that pirates came from Mississippi in the first movie

It was "vikings" and "Minnesota". Hah. Get it? No? Right. Mississippi indeed.

No points for guessing that the line was a dub insert and doesn't actually mean anything to anything.

granbull guy

Vasoline
I think it takes place in some fantasy world and the Pokedaex intry of Mew ment like South America

Viral

Soulhurt, oh no!
This sounds the most accurate to me:
I always interpreted the use of "South America" as to not actually mean there's an actual location called South America in the Pokémon world, but to instead mean a tropical jungle-like location to mention as the site of the discovery of Mew. At the time, Kanto was the only known region in the Poké-world and Kanto as we knew and still know it has no such locations, and as such, they used the next best thing, being the real-world continent of South America.

In all other regards, Pokémon takes place in a fictional world that has some similarities to ours with, obviously, more than its fair share of major geographical, zoological, governmental and societal differences.

I knew someone who thought the whole Pokemon world took place in Virginia. Virginia in another dimension, but still Virginia...which makes no sense even with the "other dimension" excuse tacked on. D:

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
I just interpret it as a collection of islands east of Japan. As it's clear there is Japanese influence, it would make sense that if it was indeed intended to exist in this world it would be somewhere near Japan.

I really don't care where it is, but this is the explanation I rely on for my fanfiction at least.

Fataal

Lone Archetype
It's always been good reason to believe that the pokemon world is based on Japan. This being said its possible that are interpretation of locations on an overall map is flawed. Its usually common for us to recieve Town Maps in the game so maybe they're just that, "Towns." ave you ever seen your city on a map. Its large and confusing. And if my theory is right then it would explain the mention of other real life areas.

But i could just be over thinking this, so take from it what you will.

Shadow Gamer

The Shadow Trainer
It's a fantasy world. nuff said.

chrombot

The Steel Hearted
I always liked to think of it as Earth in the future

I always think of it as an alternate earth.
Future doesn't work because of ancient pokemon. Also, within the games they have consoles, like N64 and so on.
Also, in many ways pokemon's technologies are behind ours, while others are more advance. In the future, I think flat screen TV's would be the norm, not the big box tube ones again.
An alternate world based on earth and it's animals makes the most sense,

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
i always tougth that the pokemon world could be a big archipielago, something near a pole but not so close to be utterly cold.

randomspot555

The references to real-world locations (in the games) doesn't end with Mew's Pokedex entry.

Lt. Surge is "The Lightning American" who served in "the war" (probably Vietnam, but it could be argued that it was Korea, WWII, or the first Gulf War, depending on your view of the sliding time scale).

Arcanine's Pokedex refers directly to "China" in Yellow and Stadium I. Later Pokedexes refer to "Chinese Pokemon" or "legendary Chinese Pokemon." Also, the short speech one of the trainers in the Battle Tower gives references China.

There's probably a handful of other examples too.

Now, that being said, just because a fictional universe is inspired by something that happens to exist in the real-world doesn't connect the two. That's fairly common. Artists and writers take what they know and make tributes to it. For example, just because the main Pokemon regions are based on areas in Japan does not mean the Pokemon world takes place in Japan. But simply it's design is inspired by Japan.

I personally think it's similar to our Earth, as far as land mass location. There's obviously a huge difference in areas such as technology (Pokecenters everywhere but very few cars or big cities, etc...).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm guessing the Pokemon world has parts of our geography and parts of its own geography.The regions we've seen could be like a country or something

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Lt. Surge is "The Lightning American" who served in "the war" (probably Vietnam, but it could be argued that it was Korea, WWII, or the first Gulf War, depending on your view of the sliding time scale).

Arcanine's Pokedex refers directly to "China" in Yellow and Stadium I. Later Pokedexes refer to "Chinese Pokemon" or "legendary Chinese Pokemon." Also, the short speech one of the trainers in the Battle Tower gives references China.

^ YES.

Hollywood was also mentioned when it came to the anime, as well as Las Vegas (I assume). I think even New York City was hinted at in Mewtwo Returns.

But really, wouldn't it make more sense for the Pokémon world to be a little bit in the actual world? Sure, there's always magic, but they have to have Pokémon relate to the world at some point, right? Why else are there actual animals in the anime, even if it's very brief and quickly forgotten?

Then again, Pokémon could be digital, and it takes a very special and weird phenomenon via aurora and tidal wave (or just through a computer) to transport kids to a world where Pokémon exist, yet don't talk. So... yeah.

I've always imagined the world of Pokemon is in my heart.

You can say there's a little bit of Pokémon in all of us, Lad :rolleyes:.

randomspot555

^ YES.

Hollywood was also mentioned when it came to the anime, as well as Las Vegas (I assume). I think even New York City was hinted at in Mewtwo Returns.

Well, the anime is a different timeline than the games, basically an all different continuity. But it adds a lot more weight in that the Pokemon world share more similarities to our own.

"Hollywood" wasn't explictly mentioned, but the town Meowth claims to be from is obviously inspired by it. Misty off-handedly mention Paris a few times, but that might've been dub only.

Lt. Surge is also explicitly referenced as being an American, not sure if he keeps his war vet status.

Real-world animals were seen somewhat often in the early episodes, and coral (yes, it's an animal) was spotted in the Manaphy movie. There's also wildlife chirping and background noise that's heard in nearly every episode.

In the Haunter episode in Kanto, Misty holds up a cross to defend herself at some point.

Rheine

Stabby McStabface
Don't believe the Pokedex.

Now, the question has been answered.

Corbulo

= Hydro Cannon
The guy who trades you a German magikarp in DPt says he is from Germany.