• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where (or what?) is the pokemon world?

Rheine

Stabby McStabface

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Misty off-handedly mention Paris a few times, but that might've been dub only.

That reminds me of Altomare being based off of Venice. Why'd I forget that one XD?

In the Haunter episode in Kanto, Misty holds up a cross to defend herself at some point.

Lol, I don't remember that one! Did they actually keep that in the dub?

squlicky4

its just a fantasy planet that nintendo created

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I think that the Pokemon world is actually just a region of our world. Like Kanto, Johto, Hoen, and Sinnoh (and maybe Orre and the Ranger regions) are just continents or islands somewhere in our world. The exact location is unknown. Thats what I think.

Vernikova

Champion
I always assumed that it was an alternate Earth that contained Pokémon on it with only a few differences.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Japan.

/thread.

Yup, the main contries in Pokémon are based off of different parts of Japan.

Videogame wise, there is a dimension of multiple planets forming the Nintendo universe. The Pokémon world is on one of these planets. Once every 4 years, everyone around the dimension band together to fight in their own worlds and many others in something Super Smash Brothers!!!

BCVM22

Videogame wise, there is a dimension of multiple planets forming the Nintendo universe. The Pokémon world is on one of these planets. Once every 4 years, everyone around the dimension band together to fight in their own worlds and many others in something Super Smash Brothers!!!

This is largely why Smash Bros. is best suited as never being adapted from a game to narrative form.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I am still going with my Super Smash Brothers idea! The reason references to objects on Earth are in the Pokédex still exist can be seen on Pikmin. Yet then again my idea is totaly contridicted in Safron City. The Mimic Girl has a NES setup with the game "Mario and Wario" which contridicts my idea. Well, I have no more ideas.

venila

Banned
Well, the rarest Pokemon in the world is either Celebi, which had a very limited release (the bonus disc on Pokemon Colosseum), or Shaymin/Arceus, which I don't think have been released yet in America (as of 09/26/09).
Or, you could say Feebas is the rarest Pokemon in the world, if you don't want to say a legendary, since it can only be found on very specific squares that change daily. But since it can breed, it's actually pretty common.
===========================================
hoodia replacement windows

vampirelazarus

A computer hacker.
I never really thought much about this, but if i had to say something, i would say it exists in a dimension (as has been mentioned) much like our own, except the animals have been replaced by pokemon.

I always interpreted the use of "South America" as to not actually mean there's an actual location called South America in the Pokémon world, but to instead mean a tropical jungle-like location to mention as the site of the discovery of Mew. At the time, Kanto was the only known region in the Poké-world and Kanto as we knew and still know it has no such locations, and as such, they used the next best thing, being the real-world continent of South America.

In all other regards, Pokémon takes place in a fictional world that has some similarities to ours with, obviously, more than its fair share of major geographical, zoological, governmental and societal differences.

As for this qoute, Kanto couldnt have been the only region known at the time, i think that was a ploy used by the programmers, because each region has a very large history. Kanto has the first nation status, Johto has the Tin Tower, Burned Tower (One of them an old man talks about when he was young seeing a bird fly into it. or from it...), Hoenn has major cities... cmon, they cant just appear over night... And need i say anything about the history in Sinnoh? Or shall i just tell you all the story line?

yanmegy423

Litwick-KAWAIIDESU!
two words:

Video. Game.

Paralell dimension or maybe on another planet it it was real but the chances are 0%

kiogrey

RS REMAKES
It's in a fictional dimension only accessible though Palkia Surfing.

BCVM22

As for this qoute, Kanto couldnt have been the only region known at the time

Are you sure you read properly? In 1995, when the 1st generation titles were going through the meat of their development cycles, Kanto was the only region. Certainly they might have had some notes and outlines that eventually became the Johto region once a sequel was greenlit, but I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to put forth here.

FeminineCuttlefish

A mollusk, not fish.
I think the Pokemon world is mainly based on Earth. All the regions are named after existing places, so...yeah.

vampirelazarus

A computer hacker.
Are you sure you read properly? In 1995, when the 1st generation titles were going through the meat of their development cycles, Kanto was the only region. Certainly they might have had some notes and outlines that eventually became the Johto region once a sequel was greenlit, but I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to put forth here.

Im trying to say that the developers werent planning a sequel (or two or three) but once they saw the money to be made with pokemon, they made more. They probably were thinking they could use one region for awhile... people obviously got bored, so out comes gold and silver with a new region that has a history probably older than kanto (celebii, lugia, ho-oh, the three dogs... Tin Tower....

BCVM22

As for this qoute, Kanto couldnt have been the only region known at the time, i think that was a ploy used by the programmers, because each region has a very large history.

Im trying to say that the developers werent planning a sequel (or two or three) but once they saw the money to be made with pokemon, they made more.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say and I'm not sure you do either.

Let's start over: at the time that the original Red/Green were in development, Kanto was the only region to be canon to the game world. As such, in need of a tropical location in the game world but lacking one in what was ostensibly the only known region in that game world, they substituted a suitable real world location. The fictional histories they would later invent for regions introduced in future titles have no bearing on anything.

If you're still confused after this, I don't know what to tell you.

mario_128

i thought the pokemon world is jsut another continent that pokemon are unique to considering people call pikachu the electric mouse pokemon this means there must be normal mice aswell or the float whale pokemon

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
The references to real-world locations (in the games) doesn't end with Mew's Pokedex entry.

Lt. Surge is "The Lightning American" who served in "the war" (probably Vietnam, but it could be argued that it was Korea, WWII, or the first Gulf War, depending on your view of the sliding time scale).

Arcanine's Pokedex refers directly to "China" in Yellow and Stadium I. Later Pokedexes refer to "Chinese Pokemon" or "legendary Chinese Pokemon." Also, the short speech one of the trainers in the Battle Tower gives references China.

There's probably a handful of other examples too.

Now, that being said, just because a fictional universe is inspired by something that happens to exist in the real-world doesn't connect the two. That's fairly common. Artists and writers take what they know and make tributes to it. For example, just because the main Pokemon regions are based on areas in Japan does not mean the Pokemon world takes place in Japan. But simply it's design is inspired by Japan.

I personally think it's similar to our Earth, as far as land mass location. There's obviously a huge difference in areas such as technology (Pokecenters everywhere but very few cars or big cities, etc...).

I am playing through Leaf Green right now and I recently saw a reference to Russia as well. Some scientist in Silph Co. complains about being transferred and says this:

"TIKSI BRANCH? It's in Russian no-man's-land!"

Just saying.