• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where (or what?) is the pokemon world?

Firebrand

Indomitable
Now, I kind of think it's this fantasy planet that's like ours, but the mew pokedex entry says it comes from south america. And i don't think there is any area that remotely looks like south america in the known pokemon world. I also remember some other odd things, like oddish's scientific name being Oddium Wanderus, but no other pokemon having a scientific name, just pikachu or charizard or palkia.
So you can understand my confusion. Do any of you have any ideas?

Treeconator11

Ultranumb
Video game, jesus.

But if you must know, all the regions are based in japan, at least that's what I've heard.

BCVM22

I always interpreted the use of "South America" as to not actually mean there's an actual location called South America in the Pokémon world, but to instead mean a tropical jungle-like location to mention as the site of the discovery of Mew. At the time, Kanto was the only known region in the Poké-world and Kanto as we knew and still know it has no such locations, and as such, they used the next best thing, being the real-world continent of South America.

In all other regards, Pokémon takes place in a fictional world that has some similarities to ours with, obviously, more than its fair share of major geographical, zoological, governmental and societal differences.

Pokemon-Dratini

cutes.u.2.death >: )
Video game, jesus.

But if you must know, all the regions are based in japan, at least that's what I've heard.

agreed itsa video game, its called IMAGINATION, probably just imgained places

but i geuss maybe as this person said, it could be based on places in japan that is what ive heard

pastel

Viva el Reggaeton!
video game, but imagine its a small caribean island thgats all lol....

ibatman

The Magnificent.
hm. pokemon is taking this way too far.

Havocide

Collector
Aye its just a video game. Though it would be interesting to see the whole pokemon 'world'. I mean the Poke Earth is a good indication but is that at all accurate or just Serebii's imagination?

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
A series of regions located in the world of Pokemania. I would think that it is in a Caribbean area.

Seth_X_of_Fortree

Torterra Firma
It's a Japan area. Hoenn is tropical because it's nearer to the equator, Sinnoh is colder because it's more north.

hoodoo-voodoo

Licky Boss
It is just a video game world, it's just really confusing sometimes to younger audiences when in the anime they make mentions such as 'Paris' and 'Hollywood'. That made me wonder, 'wait, is this in our world or it's own world?'

But perhaps that was just part of the horrible dub that is 4kids.

Tomato-kun

I'm clueless ♥
I've always thought of it as being in an alternate Earth. The Earth is the same as ours, except there are a few regions somewhere, the Poke-regions, where Pokemon live.

Havocide

Collector
I've always thought of it as being in an alternate Earth. The Earth is the same as ours, except there are a few regions somewhere, the Poke-regions, where Pokemon live.

Must be another dimension to ours :p I blame Palkia and Dialga xD

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
I remember Ash saying that pirates came from Mississippi in the first movie

Anyways, I think there is more to the pokémon world than the games have revealed. I mean, there's only four regions as of yet. I guarantee sometime in the future they'll run out of Japanese islands and expand elsewhere.