• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where the Wild Things Are

Archimedes

Not Dead Yet
The trailer's out, and while it looks like Spike Jonze slightly missed the point I can't help but make a face best described as :3c. Maybe it's the combination of Arcade Fire's "Wake Up" with one of the better storybooks of my childhood, or maybe it's because it looks genuinely enjoyable. Either way my desire to see it just rose exponentially.

the_w0lf

-/-Dutty Love-/-
I know what you mean. I also can't figure out exactly how they'll capture a 10 line book into a 90 minute picture. I think the designs of each "wild" thing are both scary, yet real looking. Their movements seem majestic. I love that Arcade Fire song too, but I also like the book. October seems so far away, after the trailer on Ellen, I was like "woah" because I had no idea that they were making this classic book into the movies.

P.S Has anyone see the Simpsons reference to where the wild things are? I think it's Lisa who has the dream but I'm not entirely true.

Jash Thor

Bringer of Lombax
This is the first time a trailer has actually given me chills. This is my all-time favorite childhood storybook (I read it every night for about two years straight), and seeing the creatures brought so thoroughly to life blew my mind. It looks absolutely incredible, and use of "Wake Up" was icing on the cake.

For those who think that Spike Jonze may have missed the point, I suggest reading this interview. It's really insightful into Spike Jonze's intention with the movie and how he went about making the film. This guy gets the message of the book and is trying to bring it to the big screen in the best way possible (even Maurice Sendak has approved of the movie).

That article combined with this trailer has raised my level of excitement beyond comprehension. I can't wait until October 16th.

Profesco

gone gently
Maurice Sendak, yup. This book, and the cartoon "Little Bear," brightened my childhood. I look forwrad to this film. ^_^

hobby

P.S Has anyone see the Simpsons reference to where the wild things are? I think it's Lisa who has the dream but I'm not entirely true.

Yes, it is when she is trying to overcome her irrational fear of imaginary monsters.

OT: I am very puzzled as to how this book could be made into a full length movie. I just hope they don't take away from the feel of the book, though book to movie transitions never go well...

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
It looks pretty good. Of course, like other book-to-movie adaptions, they have to add more scenes to prolong it, but it looks enjoyable on the whole.

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
I remember reading the book. I think I still have it some where. I'm still wondering how're a small childrens book is going to be turned into a90 minute film. These directors must have some creative minds.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
This looks genuinely enjoyable. This was one of my favorite books as a Kid and I just wonder how they'll make it into a film because of the shortness of the book. But other than that, looks enjoyable. Apparently it was filmed in Australia, which explains the gum trees.
This book, and the cartoon "Little Bear"
L..L..Little Bear?
Oh gawd. That brings back the nostaliga.

Last edited:

Gentleman Skeleton

This looks genuinely enjoyable. This was one of my favorite books as a Kid and I just wonder how they'll make it into a film because of the shortness of the book. But other than that, looks enjoyable. Apparently it was filmed in Australia, which explains the gum trees.

Yep, Queensland Australia. Last I heard, it's really cheap to film there, which is why New Zealand is also a popular place to make movies as well. But yeah, when I saw the trailer I thought to myself, "Yep, that's how I pictured it would look." Creature designs are spot on, not too kiddy and not too scary.

I also can't figure out exactly how they'll capture a 10 line book into a 90 minute picture.

Well, considering they've made movies out of books like "The Cat and the Hat", i'm sure that they could make a very good movie out of this one. I remember reading the book when I was little, and adored it. I'm anticipating the movie, and can't wait to see how the finished product will turn out.

the_w0lf

-/-Dutty Love-/-
Why would those two movies be indicators? Because they were based on a book too? I'm not being rude, but I don't really care for your method of reasoning. I doubt this movie will rely on toned down potter humor and flashy colours.

I do agree with you, that they will have to add too the small plot but that may not be a bad thing. Where the book didn't really specify how long or in detail how the boy interacted with the Wild Things, I'm thinking the movie will.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Well, if it's not the same creators... I don't know, I just don't think it usually works to make a long plot out of such a simple story... there's really something important about that simplicity to stories like that. Especially this one. You have to use your imagination, and it's almost like myth. I think giving it too much detail takes something away from it. I don't like it so much that the animation style is untrue to the original. I know that would be hard to do, but still. It's just not the same. I really hope they don't put a lot of gross out comedy and pop culture references in it. That book was kind of creepy (in a good way), and that would just kill it.

Last edited:

the_w0lf

-/-Dutty Love-/-
^Trust me, they won't. The thing is, Spike Jonez worked for years on this project. I think the characters are spot on and they're costumes, not special effects! Thats why I find their movements so spectacular if a little creepy. I agree that too much will spoil the esscence of the book and the old, neat myth-like feelings like you said. However, unlike a lot of book to movie adaptations, this one looks like its been taken seriously.

Now, I shouldn't give it a god-like status after one preview, so you can fault me there too. I like the book and I just hope they don't mess up, which could be the case.

Dattebayo

Banned
I remember reading the book a long time ago. It's nice to see that the monsters are being brought to life with guys in costumes instead of CGI, which has been overused a lot in live action movies involving monsters that could've been done with animatronics and/or guys in costumes like in the Godzilla films.