• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where would you be without your fic?

FlameRose

Basically, what the title says: what would you be like if you'd never started your main fnafic(s)? I've seen people who've been working on the same story for years...has it made you new friends? Motivated you? Helped you get through something?

For example, a story I'm working on has really gotten me into psychology, and researching it has been a blast. It's also given me headcanon for an RP, which prompted me to join and where I've met some of my best friends.

So, what about your guys' fics?

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
The first fic I ever posted was on another forum. It was terrible, but necessary. Before posting it, I thought I was simply the best writer in the world and would sit happily in my chair while I created 'art' in the reply box. Then I got a nice kick in the butt from a harsh critique, and though I was down for a while, I learned to improve.

My second posted fic, Deeds of Darkness, helped me get through the transition from being an acceptable beginning writer to actually knowing a thing or two on how to write well. Before and during that fic, my writing used to be really chunky and though I could vividly see each scene happen, I couldn't articulate my thoughts. I still have that problem, though it's barely there anymore because I practice. I've learned the value of hard work and taking time on each chapter instead of just posting the second draft. Basically, that fanfiction helped me take the next few steps in becoming a writer. So writing-wise, without my fics, I'd still be a little girl who couldn't take a hit but also couldn't write to save her life.

Life-wise, though, if it weren't for my fics, I'd probably not even be here right now. (If I was, then I'd be inactive.) I almost lost interest in this site a while back, but it was rekindled because I got an idea for a fanfiction. So I posted it, and I just went on from there.

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
I never would've learned to love writing, and I never would've met the friends I have here and elsewhere.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Without fanfiction... well, I don't know. I'd have a vastly improved social life, I'd probably be in better shape, and I would spend the rest of my days as a terrible Sonic the Hedgehog roleplayer on Neopets. Meanwhile, my interest in writing and in Pokémon would die slowly and painlessly, and I would move on to more important things like the Jonas Brothers and silly bandz.

It would be terrible.

Azurne

~ ♥ ~
Without my fanfiction?

Um, that basically wipes out my entire childhood. So essentially, there'd be nothing left of me. It's basically who I am, because I can't imagine doing anything else. >.>

Praxiteles

Friendly POKéMON.
Without fanfiction -- I'd write things that I could actually claim copyrights on! Isn't that a thought?

(Except I'd have basically no one to show my writing to, which means it would be worse than it already is, if that's possible. No one'd want to claim copyrights on it.)

Last edited:

Blitzy

Fhweeeeee...
Without my fanfiction... I guess I'd be wasting even more time on stupid stuff ^^; I also wouldn't have gotten some very nice advice, which would make my writing suckier...

Wow, this was a really short post ^^;

- Blitzy

Super_Nerd

Writer of Stuff
I've basically been working on the same story for over ten years now (writing a better plot for the games). And as terrible as it was when I first started sloooowly typing it way back then, the process--trial and error and self-criticism--has greatly improved by writing skills, in everything.

Dragonfree

Just me
I'd probably still be writing terrible morbid amateur fantasy that never goes anywhere. Otherwise I can't see that much having changed, though, really - I'd still have my website, I'd still love Pokémon, etc. It's a huge part of my life - I've been writing it for eight years, after all - but I wouldn't really assume most major decisions and events in my life were directly influenced by it, except for the part directly pertaining to writing.

Of course, it's hard to foresee anything in the interlocked web of causality that is life, so maybe I'd actually be a completely different person because instead of writing the fic at moment X I'd have been doing Y which would influence me in Z way. You never know. And, well, odds are there's a bunch of stuff I'd probably never have thought about if it weren't for my fics.

Last edited:

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
To tell the truth, fanfiction improved my writing skills, fiction and nonfiction wise. I'm able to be able to look over my mistakes (whether it's characterization, plot, grammar, etc.) that way. Also, fanfiction got me to reading more. True, many fanfics aren't as polished as published works grammar and writing style wise, but there has been quite a few ones that are as good of a quality as a public work. Without fanfiction, I probably won't be able to improve my writing nor do some reading. My social might have been improved a bit more, but I'm not the kind of person that is into the "in" stuff nor likes to go partying every night, so I'm fine having a quiet and peaceful life.

harryheart

Without my fanfiction my life would have been completely different. I've said no to going out to parties because I really wanted to write and I'm glad I did, because my friends do have a nack for getting themselves chased through woods by the police. Not the best idea. Also without writing I would never have been inspired to work on my own idea which I'm really lucky enough to have had someone from a notable publisher in the UK and give me criticsm as to how I can improve and get things published in the future.

SerenadeSP

My Loyal Feraligatr
To tell the truth, fanfiction improved my writing skills, fiction and nonfiction wise. I'm able to be able to look over my mistakes (whether it's characterization, plot, grammar, etc.) that way. Also, fanfiction got me to reading more. True, many fanfics aren't as polished as published works grammar and writing style wise, but there has been quite a few ones that are as good of a quality as a public work. Without fanfiction, I probably won't be able to improve my writing nor do some reading. My social might have been improved a bit more, but I'm not the kind of person that is into the "in" stuff nor likes to go partying every night, so I'm fine having a quiet and peaceful life.

I'm the exact same way. And to add to that I wouldn't be on this site as much if it wasn't for my fic, simply because I don't want to learn too much about the 5th Gen by accident. (which is happening alot lately >_<)

Witchan

Shauntal, FTW!
I'd be free if I'm done posessing myself with random fanfics, in order words, fanfics are a waste of time, IMO.

Phantom Kat

Hobo Writer
I would probably be doing one-shots or something, or maybe just write for my own enjoyment rather than to write to post my work for others to read.

Oddly enough, I think my fan fic has made me a better artist. I mostly draw characters from my fan fic than anything else, and when I compare a drawing of my main character that was done a year ago with a drawing from a week ago, I can see I greatly improved. More than anything, my fan fic has made me draw more and more.

- Kat