• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where's the originality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Oh, so this is a no-minded flame war? This is NOTHING BUT NONSENSE OVER WHAT ANOTHER SITE CAME UP WITH. There is nothing I care about. This is SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT the OP, not a post-made flame war and debate over which Pokemon are better than others. And I DON'T FOLLOW Smogon because I HAVE NO NEED TO. And I already play with my favs.

Hey, wasn't flaming you bra. Or trying to start anything, calm down. I was just saying, the whole "Smogon good/Smogon bad" thing was taken care of. Let's not go back to that. I was merely stating that Smogon really isn't as bad as many people make it out to be. I'm not forcing you to follow them, I'm not telling you they're super cool. I'm just saying that they are informative if that's what you're looking for.

And I agree very much with your post, but I was just saying. Though ideally it is best to play with your favorites, strategy is also integral. Surely you (not specifically you, but you the reader) have more than 6 favorite Pokemon, and devising a strategy around what you do like is what I feel is ideal.

I do congratulate you on using your favorites though. As long as you're having fun, then it's all good, right?

If you go back a page or two (or 6), you'll see that I was one of the main factors this thread is not shut down and back on track. This was a "I hate Smogon/I love Smogon" flame war. Now it isn't.

The people who posted on this thread, including the creator, started getting into this debate on whether Smogon was good or bad and if the people were drones for following them or not. And that's not what this thread was for, so I put a bit of effort in to prevent it from being shut down, because this is a good topic. I would post links to each and every post I made arguing this to prove my point, but I think this is sufficient enough.

Again, if you don't want to use Smogon, power to you. I'm not forcing you. I'm not telling you to. Or insulting you for not. But I want to snuff any "anti-Smogon/pro-Smogon" arguments before they have time to fester.

Hopefully I don't sound too mean. I was just saying. No grudge against you. :)

Last edited:

Zachmac

I love Gyarados, Staraptor and Salamence. I use them because they both work well, and they have a design I like.

Anyway, I try to be a little original, but I'm not obsessed with the idea of it. I've used a Choice Scarf Archeops, but replaced it with a Choice Scarf Hydreigon because I kept losing to Jellicent and Skarmory. If it weren't for those two, I would of actually kept Archeops.

I put winning first, but I always have one of my favorites on my team.

It's become to the point where people start to act like ur rival in hg/ss to where they think pokemon that are weak are useless and that pokemon are expendable. It's true to an extent but i think some people get carried away with it

SaltySoul

vytfdtufctuyfj
Hey, wasn't flaming you bra. Or trying to start anything, calm down. I was just saying, the whole "Smogon good/Smogon bad" thing was taken care of. Let's not go back to that. I was merely stating that Smogon really isn't as bad as many people make it out to be. I'm not forcing you to follow them, I'm not telling you they're super cool. I'm just saying that they are informative if that's what you're looking for.

And I agree very much with your post, but I was just saying. Though ideally it is best to play with your favorites, strategy is also integral. Surely you (not specifically you, but you the reader) have more than 6 favorite Pokemon, and devising a strategy around what you do like is what I feel is ideal.

I do congratulate you on using your favorites though. As long as you're having fun, then it's all good, right?

If you go back a page or two (or 6), you'll see that I was one of the main factors this thread is not shut down and back on track. This was a "I hate Smogon/I love Smogon" flame war. Now it isn't.

The people who posted on this thread, including the creator, started getting into this debate on whether Smogon was good or bad and if the people were drones for following them or not. And that's not what this thread was for, so I put a bit of effort in to prevent it from being shut down, because this is a good topic. I would post links to each and every post I made arguing this to prove my point, but I think this is sufficient enough.

Again, if you don't want to use Smogon, power to you. I'm not forcing you. I'm not telling you to. Or insulting you for not. But I want to snuff any "anti-Smogon/pro-Smogon" arguments before they have time to fester.

Hopefully I don't sound too mean. I was just saying. No grudge against you. :)
This kinda sounds like an apology from you, so apology accepted. I honestly think that Smogon should have more sets. The Pokemon who form the main pinnacle of my team are: Dialga, Typhlosion, and Empoleon. And I play it all-out.

I love Gyarados, Staraptor and Salamence. I use them because they both work well, and they have a design I like.

Anyway, I try to be a little original, but I'm not obsessed with the idea of it. I've used a Choice Scarf Archeops, but replaced it with a Choice Scarf Hydreigon because I kept losing to Jellicent and Skarmory. If it weren't for those two, I would of actually kept Archeops.

I put winning first, but I always have one of my favorites on my team.
I keep them neutral because it's part of my battle style. I like to be original, but my Pokemon sometimes change depending on my mood.

It's become to the point where people start to act like ur rival in hg/ss to where they think pokemon that are weak are useless and that pokemon are expendable. It's true to an extent but i think some people get carried away with it
Yeah, I know.

Yo i have Tyranitar and Serperior
Me too.

Jonah the Slaking

Couch-bound Warrior
I just play with Pokemon that I think I'd like. Salamence is one of those, but he's the only one. Granted, I do have a Lucario, but I don't use it very often.

Jonah the Slaking

Couch-bound Warrior
Then I guess you won't be using poor Stunfisk anytime soon.

*Stunfisk cries*

Sound

The reason for some pokemon being used more than others is because they're simply more effective than others. Pokemon wasn't created with competetive play options in mind. In fact, very few pokemon were created with that in mind. Otherwise, we would see pokemon like:

Poliwrath with Technician; Aqua Jet, Mach punch, and Bullet Punch.
Emolga would have an ability that gave its switch attacks priority.
Sunflora would have a Grass/Fire evolution that would be the Garchomp of Sun.

Nintendo didn't create Pokemon solely for competetive play. But, there are ways to make certain pokemon work. Eelektross is one of my favorites, and I use him in OU, despite his classfication in NU. I actually use a Trick Room team. Since he's mixed 252 Atk/SpAtk, Trick room lets him exploit his awful speed and let's him move first and OHKO many of thing that would normally laugh at him.

My point? Any pokemon is usable with enough planning. Do you like Sceptile? Use a double battle team that spealizes in give him berries and gems so he can get multiple Unburden boosts. Like Bisharp? Use focus sash, sword dance, and metal burst to take out the dark resistant pokemon that expect a Sucker Punch. Like Dragonair, but hate Dragonite? Use a Thunder wave, Toxic, Dragon Tail, and Aqua Tail set for status spreading and phazing.

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Okay, I do not play with tiers so I use whatever Pokemon I like, not just OU ones.

To be honest, I'd rather face the same Pokemon on different teams than those 121313516986 fisherman in a row with 6 Magikarps each

Nesquik3D

<-- Want a DWF
Hey I've got Kabutops on my team. How often do you see him?

Actually the reason why I lost in the VGC was due to originality. My opponent... ugh... such an original team I did not expect it.

destructo

People generally pick pokemon based on stats and those pokes are just that. It is easier to win with those pokes then say, magneton or cradily, unless people actually use strategies

ShadeShadow

(>^.^)>(;_;)<(^.^<)
i use the pokemon i like, and if theyre on the OU list, i really couldnt care less. i like metagross, salamence, and lucario a lot, but ppl just use them cuz theyre good sweepers or whatever, i know that my opinion wasnt swayed cuz of that.

SaltySoul

vytfdtufctuyfj
i use the pokemon i like, and if theyre on the OU list, i really couldnt care less. i like metagross, salamence, and lucario a lot, but ppl just use them cuz theyre good sweepers or whatever, i know that my opinion wasnt swayed cuz of that.

GREATEST. STATEMENT. EVER. And I am not sarcastic. This is one of the greatest things EVER. I use the Pokemon that I like, I don't care if they're whatever Smogon, etc., says they are because I am 93.7% sure that GameFreak did NOT want Pokemon being sorted into TIERS. I like A LOT of Pokemon a lot because of them working with my dream strategy. Yeah, people just use OU Pokemon because they either are kinda like everyone's rival, or they like it personally. My opinion was not swayed either. My dream strategy, if you wanna know, is to use special attackers, yet keep a good speed.

I'm sorry but you can't have too much originality if you want to win. There are a lot of Pokemon in OU but less than half are actually useable. Smogon split the Pokemon of OU into several tiers with the S and A tiers being the highest tiers (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3473637). You're not going to win unless most of your Pokemon come from the upper tiers of OU. However, there is a little bit of wiggle room...actually I'd argue that the best teams are pretty generic and copy pasta for the most part with no more than one pokemon deviating from the norm but only because it "synergizes" with the rest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.