• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where's the originality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Side4

THANK YOU, DEAR LORD! NOW I CAN STOP USING SMOGON(I hate it. Umbreon in NU? Come on, folks)

I've never actually payed attention to tiers, and so my team is just a mixed of different tiered pokemon. Honestly, I don't really know what each of my guys are, I mean I know weavile is good but is he considered OU because of his outstanding speed and attack. And I basically guard my Umbreon like there's no tomorrow, bringing him into every battle no matter what I'm fighting, but I don't know if he is OU or NU or whatever, I just use him.

I agree with the earlier post that sites like Smogon have basically ruined the team building process and the fun of having original pokemon with move sets and stats that people put together themselves. I have never used smogon, and even when I do read smogon I never use the move sets because they kind of suck. I just think of my own and they work out really well, I'm not gonna take the advice of someone who probably doesn't know as much about the Pokemon I use than I do myself, so I'll just go with my gut.

Dark Side4

Ive ran into you a few times actually, i think the last time i fought you i had either an ubers team or one of my standard teams( if im correct i used role play houndoom in a battle of ours). This is a long while ago, so im not sure exactly.

Oh yeah I remember that houndoom. That was a long time ago, and I remember asking my friend what you were thinking with such a strange move set, but I was impressed with it. Actually the funny thing is I'm probably the unoriginal one with my houndoom, because I just use the standard flamethrower and dark pulse houndoom instead of trying something weird, like your role playing houndoom.

lonelyZorua

Lonely Zorua...
O-O i overuse Lucario... and Empoleon when i use to play platinum now i totaly overuse Bisharp and Zouark xD

I had pokemon gold and gengar is my favorite pokemon. I never had a chance to obtain him because I didn't have anyone to trade with. That is the only pokemon on my final team from your list. I play with the ones I like.

I know what you mean, though. I'm sick of seeing people with 4 or 5 legendaries in their team. I never use more than two on my team at one time. If at all.

Rey Alejandro

GOKAI CHANGE!
Just for the record, Gen. IV Weavile and Umbreon are OU and Honchkrow is BL (not good enough for OU but too good for UU) according to Smogon. So yeah, about half your team was considered "the best," whether you knew it or not.

Dark Side4

Just for the record, Gen. IV Weavile and Umbreon are OU and Honchkrow is BL (not good enough for OU but too good for UU) according to Smogon. So yeah, about half your team was considered "the best," whether you knew it or not.

Well that sucks, but at least I picked them because of how much I liked them, and not because they were OU. And I really don't follow smogon, they really give out horrible advice and have ruined team building. Besides all the move sets they offer are just awful, I don't even know why people use them ,there are a lot more available move sets that are way better than the ones they give you on smogon. At least if they gave out some credible strategies for your pokemon I wouldn't be so against them, but they don't even do that, and again I have no clue why people use them, its actually easier to create a move set for myself.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
Ok, give an example of Smogon giving out 'horrible advice'.

I keep telling you, no matter how good the monsters in OU are, it's still limiting yourself. Because believe it or not, there aren't many monsters in OU, and even fewer that I'd even be caught dead using on my team. Which is why I hate OU, because it's dominated mostly by monsters I do not like.

When did I say only to use OUs?

Arsène

Well that sucks, but at least I picked them because of how much I liked them, and not because they were OU. And I really don't follow smogon, they really give out horrible advice and have ruined team building. Besides all the move sets they offer are just awful, I don't even know why people use them ,there are a lot more available move sets that are way better than the ones they give you on smogon. At least if they gave out some credible strategies for your pokemon I wouldn't be so against them, but they don't even do that, and again I have no clue why people use them, its actually easier to create a move set for myself.

People use their movesets because they work. You're probably just bad, or don't even bother reading the reasoning behind the sets/strategies to begin with.

Doesn't get much more simple than this.

Skydra

I use whatever wins and whatever works. Originality was lost when smogon and sites like it made tiers and reveiwed pokemon.
The only originality that is lost from Smogon is what people use from it. You can be just as original as ever, but people follow Smogon's advice because it's simply the most applicable around.
THANK YOU, DEAR LORD! NOW I CAN STOP USING SMOGON(I hate it. Umbreon in NU? Come on, folks)
Little usage = NU. As simple as that. It's really not Smogon's fault it's NU, but the competitive community for using it less. And really, that podcast isn't a replacement for Smogon, its not a competitive podcast. I'm not exactly sure what you meant by stopping using Smogon for It's Super Effective, since they're completely different fandom sites.

****... the whole point of Smogon is to give the most effective sets and the most useful Pokemon. Certainly other sets work, but "horrible advice?" Really? The reason it's so popular in the competitive community is because they don't have "awful" sets and do have "credible" strategy. If you don't like Smogon's way of doing things, do what you want, but stop unjustly hating them for ill-supported accusations.

Now, a general message to all those who give this hate on Smogon: If you don't want to use their sets and suggested Pokemon, don't. They aren't hurting anyone by simply saying what's the most effective. Be original if you choose. Now, if you decide to be original and end up creating an ineffective Pokemon or team, it isn't the fault of anyone but you that others defeat you with the more used Pokemon.

Dark Side4

People use their movesets because they work. You're probably just bad, or don't even bother reading the reasoning behind the sets/strategies to begin with.

Doesn't get much more simple than this.

Sounds like someone's a smogon slave lol. Too uninventive to think of anything yourself, that's a bummer.

And there are plenty of pages on smogon that aren't good advice at all. In 4th gen, the only viable move set for Umbreon is a baton passing mean looker? Really? And yes I read the reasoning behind it, and I completely disagree. They say that tyranitar can run the curse set better, but what's the point of that? Tyranitar already has jacked attacks and defenses, and you shouldn't be wasting turns using curse when the already high enough attack can be used effectively as is. Curse actually allow Umbreon's attack to be a viable option while simultaneously boosting his defense, making him some super wall that can also do decent damage. From past experiences, gyarados and aerodactyl aren't much of a threat to umbreon, even if gyarados runs the dragon dance move set.

Also, they completely ignore the fact that the "only good move set" for Umbreon is completely susceptible to taunt, and if taunted that Umbreon is completely useless on every level. People are smart enough to taunt Umbreons when they see them, and I would think smogon is smart enough to know that, but clearly not.

In 5th gen, they change it up a bit, but still decide to ignore the curse/payback combo. They leave him with only payback, and given Umbreon's cruddy base attack, even payback won't do much. The preferred move set for umbreon basically can't touch steel types, as steel is immune to toxic and dark is not very effective again steel. Why must they make Umbreon this helpless creature that can't fend for himself? Making him a support unit is mediocre at best, and the only thing he can really pass on is mean look and curse, which takes like 3-8 turns to effectively pull off, not counting any healing or protecting used in between. In other options, they give him curse, but they leave out any attacking skills, and just treat him as a passer.

Umbreon can be one of the best special walls in the game, and with curse he becomes an all around wall that can also hit back. AND he gets two possible healing moves, but the great and mighty smogon keeps treating him as a mediocre support unit, ignoring the fact that he can fight for himself extremely effectively.

I'm pretty sure I see that as bad advice, but if you want to make your umbreon that way, go ahead, that's just one more easy kill for me.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
Please have actual knowledge of competitive battling and Smogon before *****ing about them.

EDIT: 100th post YEEEEAAAAH

Last edited:

Dark Side4

The only originality that is lost from Smogon is what people use from it. You can be just as original as ever, but people follow Smogon's advice because it's simply the most applicable around.

Little usage = NU. As simple as that. It's really not Smogon's fault it's NU, but the competitive community for using it less. And really, that podcast isn't a replacement for Smogon, its not a competitive podcast. I'm not exactly sure what you meant by stopping using Smogon for It's Super Effective, since they're completely different fandom sites.

****... the whole point of Smogon is to give the most effective sets and the most useful Pokemon. Certainly other sets work, but "horrible advice?" Really? The reason it's so popular in the competitive community is because they don't have "awful" sets and do have "credible" strategy. If you don't like Smogon's way of doing things, do what you want, but stop unjustly hating them for ill-supported accusations.

Now, a general message to all those who give this hate on Smogon: If you don't want to use their sets and suggested Pokemon, don't. They aren't hurting anyone by simply saying what's the most effective. Be original if you choose. Now, if you decide to be original and end up creating an ineffective Pokemon or team, it isn't the fault of anyone but you that others defeat you with the more used Pokemon.

I don't quite understand this idea that just because we don't use these overused pokemon we are making bad or ineffective teams that lose all the time. I have built my original team around the ones I like, and they work really well, and I beat smogon slaves all the time because they have become so predictable. I run a mono-dark team, which could probably be pretty easy to beat given that all my pokemon are dark types, but I am still able to win easily, even against those who abuse the OU's and those "effective" smogon move sets you all keep talking about. See I actually learned how to use my team on my own, instead of just going to some fan site to give me all the answers. It was more fun AND I have an original team, you should try it out some time lol. ;197;

Dark Side4

Please have actual knowledge of competitive battling and Smogon before *****ing about them.

Care to bring up a point or two on your side? Just disagreeing with someone and saying they have no knowledge is a sad way to argue with someone. And what exactly is "actual knowledge" of competitive battle then? Please share a point or two of your infinite knowledge and enlighten us all with how much you know. I'm pretty sure knowledge comes from experience, which it seems that you have none of because you can't bring up a single valid point and all your doing is saying I'm wrong and that smogon is right. Clearly you are a smogon slave, but since that's the case I should probably go there to get a response because you will just regurgitate what they say, am I right?

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Smogon does its best to regulate competitive battling, and I think it does a pretty good job too.

Skydra said it best, they're not forcing you to do anything. But the simple fact is that Pokemon are OU for a reason, they're used because they're effective. That's just common sense. But if you find a good team/Pokemon that falls outside the OU tier then that's good too. I can easily see how you'd get a sense of pride from being original, but it's also easy to take pride in building an effective team regardless of how overused it is, because it's a powerful team.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
And there are plenty of pages on smogon that aren't good advice at all. In 4th gen, the only viable move set for Umbreon is a baton passing mean looker? Really? And yes I read the reasoning behind it, and I completely disagree.

Too bad for Smogon. They had a good run.

They say that tyranitar can run the curse set better, but what's the point of that? Tyranitar already has jacked attacks and defenses, and you shouldn't be wasting turns using curse when the already high enough attack can be used effectively as is. Curse actually allow Umbreon's attack to be a viable option while simultaneously boosting his defense, making him some super wall that can also do decent damage. From past experiences, gyarados and aerodactyl aren't much of a threat to umbreon, even if gyarados runs the dragon dance move set.

With enough setting up, Umbreon can beat TWO Pokemon in OU! One of which is only used for setting up Stealth Rock and dying! Why, that's not terrible at all!

Are you aware of the existence of such concepts as "shitty movepool" and "Steel types?"

Also, they completely ignore the fact that the "only good move set" for Umbreon is completely susceptible to taunt, and if taunted that Umbreon is completely useless on every level. People are smart enough to taunt Umbreons when they see them, and I would think smogon is smart enough to know that, but clearly not.

I know, right? It's like they expect it to blindingly obvious when you use Pokemon like that, and only make note of it on Umbreon's analysis page.

In 5th gen, they change it up a bit, but still decide to ignore the curse/payback combo. They leave him with only payback, and given Umbreon's cruddy base attack, even payback won't do much. The preferred move set for umbreon basically can't touch steel types, as steel is immune to toxic and dark is not very effective again steel. Why must they make Umbreon this helpless creature that can't fend for himself? Making him a support unit is mediocre at best, and the only thing he can really pass on is mean look and curse, which takes like 3-8 turns to effectively pull off, not counting any healing or protecting used in between. In other options, they give him curse, but they leave out any attacking skills, and just treat him as a passer.

Let's list all of the ways Umbreon can hurt Steel types! He'll be good then, rather than some helpless creature that can't defend itself and entirely inferior to other tanks!

Hmm, nothing. Smogon is obviously at fault here for not listing them.

Umbreon can be one of the best special walls in the game, and with curse he becomes an all around wall that can also hit back. AND he gets two possible healing moves, but the great and mighty smogon keeps treating him as a mediocre support unit, ignoring the fact that he can fight for himself extremely effectively.

Y'know who Smogon treats poorly? Farfetch'd. Why, with Swords Dance, he becomes capable of hurting things! And yet, the great and mighty Smogon treats him as a physicaly offensive weakling, because of its base 65 Attack stat.

I'm pretty sure I see that as bad advice, but if you want to make your umbreon that way, go ahead, that's just one more easy kill for me.

As opposed to having an Umbreon with 150/100/170/95/190/100 base stats. Smogon, if we used that, Umbreon wouldn't suck!

I don't quite understand this idea that just because we don't use these overused pokemon we are making bad or ineffective teams that lose all the time. I have built my original team around the ones I like, and they work really well, and I beat smogon slaves all the time because they have become so predictable. I run a mono-dark team, which could probably be pretty easy to beat given that all my pokemon are dark types, but I am still able to win easily, even against those who abuse the OU's and those "effective" smogon move sets you all keep talking about. See I actually learned how to use my team on my own, instead of just going to some fan site to give me all the answers. It was more fun AND I have an original team, you should try it out some time lol. ;197;

Only people new to the site and just trying to understand competitive battling in general will attempt to use six Pokemon lifted out of the analyses. In the upper levels of players, there will be some bog-standard sets - some roles are simply best filled by those Pokemon - but they will be creative, and they will tailor and tweak to fit the needs of their team.

How do you think the sets in the analyses are created in the first place?

Care to bring up a point or two on your side? Just disagreeing with someone and saying they have no knowledge is a sad way to argue with someone. And what exactly is "actual knowledge" of competitive battle then? Please share a point or two of your infinite knowledge and enlighten us all with how much you know. I'm pretty sure knowledge comes from experience, which it seems that you have none of because you can't bring up a single valid point and all your doing is saying I'm wrong and that smogon is right. Clearly you are a smogon slave, but since that's the case I should probably go there to get a response because you will just regurgitate what they say, am I right?

I don't think you've done a stellar job of convincing people you're a competitive player. Just saying.

I can't speak for other people, nor will I attempt to do so. No, I do not have video recordings of my battles.

Dark Side4

Too bad for Smogon. They had a good run.

With enough setting up, Umbreon can beat TWO Pokemon in OU! One of which is only used for setting up Stealth Rock and dying! Why, that's not terrible at all!

Are you aware of the existence of such concepts as "shitty movepool" and "Steel types?"

I know, right? It's like they expect it to blindingly obvious when you use Pokemon like that, and only make note of it on Umbreon's analysis page.

Let's list all of the ways Umbreon can hurt Steel types! He'll be good then, rather than some helpless creature that can't defend itself and entirely inferior to other tanks!

Hmm, nothing. Smogon is obviously at fault here for not listing them.

Y'know who Smogon treats poorly? Farfetch'd. Why, with Swords Dance, he becomes capable of hurting things! And yet, the great and mighty Smogon treats him as a physicaly offensive weakling, because of its base 65 Attack stat.

As opposed to having an Umbreon with 150/100/170/95/190/100 base stats. Smogon, if we used that, Umbreon wouldn't suck!

Only people new to the site and just trying to understand competitive battling in general will attempt to use six Pokemon lifted out of the analyses. In the upper levels of players, there will be some bog-standard sets - some roles are simply best filled by those Pokemon - but they will be creative, and they will tailor and tweak to fit the needs of their team.

How do you think the sets in the analyses are created in the first place?

I don't think you've done a stellar job of convincing people you're a competitive player. Just saying.

I can't speak for other people, nor will I attempt to do so. No, I do not have video recordings of my battles.

Looks like I hit a soft spot with someone! I'm just gonna quote the entire thing here, because you DO write a lot, and it's really not worth reading all that. But you are right sir, farfetched IS overlooked. If only there were strategies that allowed shitty pokemon to become better, but does smogon tell me how to do that, no? Bummer...

Also I noticed how you called aerodactyl a unit only used for setting up stealth rock and then dying, such a shame how you waste such a good unit, but I guess smogon doesn't allow you to do anything else with him, again what a bummer...

And who said I made my team out of these analyses? I just put them together ON MY OWN, pretty new concept to you huh lol? And why do you keep responding with just smart *** answers that really don't tell me anything? It's kind of a bad idea to do so, and you should try to work on that. And please, acting all high and mighty and claiming to know so much more about competitive battling is just a little sad, because when you get down to it, it's not a difficult concept to grasp, nor are ANY of the strategies you geniuses try to use. Its a sequence of cause and effect with limited moves on each pokemon, it's not too complex a process to understand. But please, try to enlighten me on your great strategies that I am CLEARLY not experienced enough to understand, impress me with how much you think you know.

Last edited:

jstinftw!

hey trainer
The only originality that is lost from Smogon is what people use from it. You can be just as original as ever, but people follow Smogon's advice because it's simply the most applicable around...

Sounds like someone's a smogon slave lol. Too uninventive to think of anything yourself, that's a bummer.

Actually, I'm with Skydra. I like Dark Side4's intent, don't get me wrong. As I stated on the first page, I'm also quite bummed at the lack of originality that plague a lot of Pokemon players. Team after team, you see the same staple 10 or 12 Pokemon, with a few lesser used Pokemon thrown in.

But I wouldn't blame Smogon. Smogon tiered them to create an environment where like, a Butterfree isn't going to face a Garchomp. The tiering system (I'm going to touch more on this later, but bare with me for now) works for that battling environment. It's definitely limiting (I have a total of 2 OU Pokemon on my team, sometimes only 1, but I would be forced to battle OU if I battled on Smogon's rules). But it would be worse if you wanted to use your Musharna, Butterfree, Ampharos, and Bellossom, and came up against a Garchomp, Lugia, Zapdos, Scizor, and Infernape. Smogon's tiering isn't really the problem.

No, the problem is, and I think it was mentioned earlier, the people's use of Smogon. Smogon does analyses of Pokemon, giving (KEYWORD) suggestions on what people could do. Smogon U even stated that they started the whole thing to help trainers and give suggestions on what they could do, just to spur on thinking. Even they find OU quite bland, because no one brings anything interesting to the tables anymore. Smogon's analyses were meant to spark ideas, and give suggestions. Not to copy paste onto teams.

That's why people say to go to UU/RU/NU or whatever, because there are a lot more Pokemon available there, as well as more people trying harder to create different strategies.

The way Pokemon get to be tiered is by their actual usage.

Say there are 200 total people who play Pokemon in the world. 100 people use Garchomp, 88 people use Abomasnow, 51 people use Aggron, and 10 people use Banette.

Due to the large amount of people using Garchomp, Garchomp would be classified as OU, or Over-used. Since a lot of people use Abomasnow but not a whole lot, he gets to be Underused, or UU. With only 51 people using Aggron, he'd be RU or Rarely Used while Banette would be Never Used (NU) since barely anyone uses it.

Which means, it's the people who decide the tiering by what they use, not Smogon. Smogon just goes through the trouble to let you see what everyone's playing.

Now, the only thing that doesn't follow this rubric is Ubers. Ubers is voted on by the Smogon Community. If it gains enough votes, then it passes and the Pokemon in question is banned to Ubers. And this can be amended in the same way; votation.

But if everyone decided to start using Ditto, then Ditto would become OU. The reason why Pokemon become OU is because they are better to usestrategically more cohesive with other Pokemon. They have the fastest set-up time, do the most damage with least amount of damage to themselves, etc. Basically, Pokemon become OU because they are easier to play than other Pokemon. But just because they're OU doesn't mean they are set to win. Strategy is key, regardless of what Pokemon you're using.

To be clear, I personally try to make the lesser used (well, my favorite) Pokemon work. I just know how this stuff works.

Also, to add a personal touch to this post, I myself use Smogon. Not to copy and paste, but to provide groundwork. Smogon analyses usually provide information on what are common sets, what are run against it, and using that information, I can build my own Pokemon. I like Pokemon, and I try to be as original as possible, but I'm not exactly Mr. "I know everything about all 649 Pokemon." Pokemon work better in specific roles, although they're not always stuck in the one role everyone gives them. That's where the customization of your own team comes in. That being said, I try to make my Pokemon work the way I see fit/think they'll benefit. I hop on Smogon to see what they say, what they suggest, and I consider my options from there.

Ok, so I saw the comment earlier about Umbreon. What a_person said about Umbreon is true. I honestly did not need Smogon to tell me that Umbreon isn't the best attacker to know that it wasn't. Boasting a base attack of 65 and Special Attack of 60, no matter what happens, he's not going to be hitting hard. He's not particularly fast either, so the Curse/Payback combo is actually pretty intelligent. Boost your already really nice Defense and sorely needed Attack and then reduce the Speed (which really wouldn't be able to help anyways), and Umbreon's will be able to hit hard. Payback = Base 50 X2 if hit + STAB + Curse increase. That's pretty good. But attacking obviously isn't Umbreon's strong suit.

It's like telling someone who was really good at Basketball to play for a Football team. Or telling a Baker to be an Engineer. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't. However, an Engineer is a good Engineer (usually). And a Baker is a good Baker, and a Basketball player is a good Basketball player. Umbreon is a really good Baton Passer, or Staller. Sure, if set up correctly, Umbreon can be a good attacker, but that's something that would require X amount of turns to set up. Impossible? No. You can do it. It's just those turns can be used to do something else, and people would prefer to set up faster.

Now, to emphasize my point, let's say I wanted something that could hit hard and fast. And my party is already set up except for that one Pokemon. I'm not going to put Snorlax, or Bastiodon there, even if they're one of my favorite Pokemon. Because that's not what they're built for. Both of them sport low speeds, meaning they wouldn't fit into that role I was trying to put them in. Sure, I could invest Speed EVs into them. But that wouldn't make them that much faster; they'd still be easily outsped. However, Pokemon like Crobat, Ambipom, Infernape, Scizor, etc. fit in there nicely. You have to know the Pokemon so that you can strategize them effectively.

This is why things like Trick Room really shine if not prepared against, because it throws off the opponent's strategy.

Now, as I said earlier, I was going to talk more about the tiers. Well, I myself understand why they're there, but I don't particularly like using them. I want to use my Pokemon regardless of their tiering and not encounter only Pokemon from the OU tier. That is why I am personally in love with VGC Style of battling. Everyone says that Smogon is the Unofficial "Official" Standard of battling, without realizing that there actually is an Official Standard of Battling, and that is the VGC. VGC stands for the Video Game Championships, which takes place every year in the US in specific locations. There's the Regionals, Nationals, and Worlds, but I won't go too much further into that.

VGC style battling doesn't exactly eliminate the lack of originality, because there is still a lot of unoriginal teams being used (Last year, the Beat Up TerraCott strategy was common, so was the Kami-Prankster combos, and this year it's Drizzletoed), but it does allow more originality to come into play. On Pokemon Online, the Skarmbliss VGC Server is where to battle for this style play. But there's more originality going on there than in the OU Smogon Environment. Unless you're going up against Drizzle teams, you have quite a bit of other stuff going on (Primarily other weather teams, but people get pretty creative once they venture out of Drizzle).

So, tl:dr to jump back on topic (as well as end my very long rantpost), if you just slap together 6 OU Pokemon without strategy, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Won't work. This also goes the same for slapping together 6 of your favorite Pokemon. It doesn't matter what Pokemon you're using, so long as you have a strategy for using them. Every Pokemon you use (OU or not) has to have a reason for being on your team. If you don't coordinate them to do well and fulfill a specific role (or you don't cover your bases), your team will fall apart.

btw. DarkSide? You might want to stop Double/Triple posting. You can actually get in trouble for that. If you find you have more to say, just click the edit option on the post you just made. Sure, it leads to a lot more to read, but it also prevents you from getting in trouble. :)

And really, that podcast isn't a replacement for Smogon, its not a competitive podcast. I'm not exactly sure what you meant by stopping using Smogon for It's Super Effective, since they're completely different fandom sites.
Yeah, that's actually true. The members of It's Super Effective actually look at Smogon too, to get an idea of what they can do with their Pokemon. They rarely follow it though.

To explain myself, they (usually, although none as of late) do a Featured Team of the Week segment, and they talk about what they could do with their Pokemon. I learned quite a bit from listening, and they really opened my eyes to how I could really make my Pokemon my own.

But they're not really a Competitive Pokemon Podcast. They're Pokemon in general (although lately, they've been talking a lot of TCG).

Do you listen to them too, Skydra?

(omg. this post is already longer than some chapters in the fan fiction section. :|)

Last edited:

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Blah blah blah, no one uses taunt, blah blah blah, Farfetch'd doesn't have useable strategies, blah blah blah.

Yeah, I hear it all the time from Smogonites that Smogon is always right and people use the site because they want to win, blah blah blah. Like I said before, why choose winning over fun? Surely playing with monsters you absolutely loath just in order to win isn't all that fun. Sure, many people use Garchomp, but how many actually LIKE Garchomp. Cause I sure as hell don't. The design looks like Sceptile and Sharpedo in a blender. So why do people use a design they don't like, just cause it's powerful and they care more about winning than having fun? Yeah, I know I'd lose a million fights with Samurott, Watchog, Scolipede, Mandibuzz, and a poorly prepared Darmanitan and Excadrill, but I'd still be having more fun with them than I would with Garchomp, Infernape, Foretress, Politoed, Scizor, and ESPeon, even if I kept winning.

I know vouching for fun over winning is a stupid cause, but still.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
-Again, because people find winning during competitive fun.
-I like Garchomp, both competitively and aesthetically.
-Why do people have a problem with others having a different philosophy to battling than their own?

Dark Side4

-Again, because people find winning during competitive fun.
-I like Garchomp, both competitively and aesthetically.
-Why do people have a problem with others having a different philosophy to battling than their own?

If that's all people find fun in the game, then why not just have a team of six darkrais that abuse dark void. Id say that's one of the easiest ways to win, but people get mad at dark void abusers and ban them from competitive play. I find it funny how you "experienced" players can boast your amazing strategies with your OU teams, but teams that are even more effective, like such a darkrai team, is looked on as "cheap." If its only the winning that you find fun, then why aren't you out hunting for the best timid darkrais out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.