• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where's the originality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
If that's all people find fun in the game, then why not just have a team of six darkrais that abuse dark void. Id say that's one of the easiest ways to win, but people get mad at dark void abusers and ban them from competitive play. I find it funny how you "experienced" players can boast your amazing strategies with your OU teams, but teams that are even more effective, like such a darkrai team, is looked on as "cheap." If its only the winning that you find fun, then why aren't you out hunting for the best timid darkrais out there?

Species clause.

Anyways, competitive pokemon is an art. If it's not your cup of tea, don't play it and don't complain about the people who do.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
If that's all people find fun in the game, then why not just have a team of six darkrais that abuse dark void. Id say that's one of the easiest ways to win, but people get mad at dark void abusers and ban them from competitive play. I find it funny how you "experienced" players can boast your amazing strategies with your OU teams, but teams that are even more effective, like such a darkrai team, is looked on as "cheap." If its only the winning that you find fun, then why aren't you out hunting for the best timid darkrais out there?

People play under Smogon's rules so that kind of cheap crap doesn't happen. And if you want to want to talk about your issues with Smogon further, I suggest you post here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=538246

EDIT: accelgored

Last edited:

Dark Side4

People play under Smogon's rules so that kind of cheap crap doesn't happen. And if you want to want to talk about your issues with Smogon further, I suggest you post here:

EDIT: accelgored

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=538246

That comment was kind of intended for people who AREN'T minions of smogon, and you calling it cheap crap is kind of hypocritical. You say you play to win, but NOW there are rules as to how you achieve that victory? So people who play by Smogon's rules can win however they want, but as long as it's in a certain boundary of "fair" pokemon. I'm not really trashing smogon, I'm just trashing the people who follow it so religiously.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
What do you mean, religiously? What's the problem with Smogon if they aren't forcing you to battle the way they want?

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
What do you mean, religiously? What's the problem with Smogon if they aren't forcing you to battle the way they want?

Just that. What he said was pretty straight-forward.

Dark Side4

Lol I knew you would make a comment for that. By religiously I mean "very thoroughly" obviously. And again, there's nothing wrong with smogon, they're not making me do anything. I'm just talking about all the people that follow them so heavily, which is what the original post was about. People keep talking about smogon rules and how the only way to really win is if you follow there rules. You call darkrais cheap crap, but there effective, just like your OU's.

xsedr

The Moral Aethiest
To answer your question, those pokemon are all members of a particularly exclusive club called the Overused tier (Or Uber or Borderline in some cases). I see no issue with smogon; you aren't forced to abide by their tiers, but if your favorite pokemon can't win against them don't complain, you can't control the pokemon and tactics they use anymore than they can control what you do

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Welcome to Competitive Battling. This is why I don't do competitive battling. There is no originality in their teams. Same movesets, over, and over, and over again...

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
-OUs aren't overpowered/nor 'overcentralising' (yes I know that's not a word).

Just that. What he said was pretty straight-forward.

-Smogon isn't telling you to do anything unless you choose to battle under their rules.
-People follow Smogon closely because they have tons and tons of experience when it comes to competitive battling, with some of the best players in the world. And no one, I repeat, NO ONE puts more time into testing Pokemon than Smogon, which is why if some random person says to use Umbreon as a Curser, but people on Smogon say to use Tyranitar instead, I'm probably going to listen to the Smogonites' advice. I don't just blindly put OUs in my team though - that would be idiotic. I put time into thinking, testing and tweaking my team, and if it does work, and it is as good as I can get it to be - whether I end up with a non-standard set or not - I will use it.

xsedr

The Moral Aethiest
Welcome to Competitive Battling. This is why I don't do competitive battling. There is no originality in their teams. Same movesets, over, and over, and over again...

Yes many of the sets are the same, and I won't lie and claim there's a big diversity of the pokemon you'll see (unless you play NU, in which case there's not telling what you may go up against) but what changes is the combinations adn the strategy you need to take down each team. You may not find it fun just like I don't find collecting and battle subway fun, but we respect each others rights to like what we want.

Dark Side4

To answer your question, those pokemon are all members of a particularly exclusive club called the Overused tier (Or Uber or Borderline in some cases). I see no issue with smogon; you aren't forced to abide by their tiers, but if your favorite pokemon can't win against them don't complain, you can't control the pokemon and tactics they use anymore than they can control what you do

Um, thank you? I think your a little behind in the conversation, but I appreciate the understanding. And yes I do understand tiers and how smogon doesn't force me to do anything, but that is why we are discussing it. But you are right about not being able to control what others do, I'm just wondering.

Dark Side4

-OUs aren't overpowered/nor 'overcentralising' (yes I know that's not a word).

-Smogon isn't telling you to do anything unless you choose to battle under their rules.
-People follow Smogon closely because they have tons and tons of experience when it comes to competitive battling, with some of the best players in the world. And no one, I repeat, NO ONE puts more time into testing Pokemon than Smogon, which is why if some random person says to use Umbreon as a Curser, but people on Smogon say to use Tyranitar instead, I'm probably going to listen to the Smogonites' advice. I don't just blindly put OUs in my team though - that would be idiotic. I put time into thinking, testing and tweaking my team, and if it does work, and it is as good as I can get it to be - whether I end up with a non-standard set or not - I will use it.

Ok about half of that is debatable. I'm sure they have experience, but it's not like they are the ultimate knowledge in Pokemon, they CAN be wrong, surprising right? And how do you know that NO ONE puts in more time? you seem so sure of that, almost as if you work there, and if that's the case then you can speak with some authority, but if not, then there really isn't much to back that statement up. I mean I think I have more experience battling with umbreons, with every move set btw, and I think I have more experience than smogon. I only use Umbreon as an example BECAUSE I've used him so much and for so long, and so I think I CAN speak with experience.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457230

Look, over 200,000 OU battles took place on Smogon's PO server. And that's not even all the tiers that competitive battling can take place in. Those battles are a part of the tons and tons of info in their analyses, and when the VGC results came out, many of the top players were Smogoners. Yes, they can be wrong, but what other competitive community can say that they have more credibility when it comes to battling? Why do you think many of the best players use Smogon?

And, to be honest, using Umbreon on PBR doesn't really count as 'proper' competitive experience; it is highly likely that you are just facing a lot of noobs who just copy and paste sets that Smogon has on its analyses, and think they are good for doing that.

EDIT: @darkside4, you shouldn't be double/triple posting. Just edit your posts.

Last edited:

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Allow me to reiterate.

"Competitive pokemon is an art. If it's not your cup of tea, don't play it and don't complain about the people who do."

So you don't like it how people choose pokemon based on their ability to win rather than their originality? Well, now you know why, so stop complaining about it already. Just ignore these people if you hate it that much.

Dark Side4

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457230

Look, over 200,000 OU battles took place on Smogon's PO server. And that's not even all the tiers that competitive battling can take place in. Those battles are a part of the tons and tons of info in their analyses, and when the VGC results came out, many of the top players were Smogoners. Yes, they can be wrong, but what other competitive community can say that they have more credibility when it comes to battling? Why do you think many of the best players use Smogon?

And, to be honest, using Umbreon on PBR doesn't really count as 'proper' competitive experience; it is highly likely that you are just facing a lot of noobs who just copy and paste sets that Smogon has on its analyses, and think they are good for doing that.

EDIT: @darkside4, you shouldn't be double/triple posting. Just edit your posts.

Hahahaha dude are you even reading what you are posting? you just completely contradicted yourself IN YOUR OWN POST.

The first paragraph just went on about how experienced smogoners are and how their analyses are so valid, and that the best of the best use smogon. Then in the NEXT paragraph you just said that I only faced noobs who use those exact strategies set up by those experienced players that are the best of the best, and that by facing them it's not "proper" experience. Please explain yourself a lot better, because you basically brought up a point, and then argued against yourself lmao.

Darkmaster Rannon

Thundercats Hoo!
Hahahaha dude are you even reading what you are posting? you just completely contradicted yourself IN YOUR OWN POST.

The first paragraph just went on about how experienced smogoners are and how their analyses are so valid, and that the best of the best use smogon. Then in the NEXT paragraph you just said that I only faced noobs who use those exact strategies set up by those experienced players that are the best of the best, and that by facing them it's not "proper" experience. Please explain yourself a lot better, because you basically brought up a point, and then argued against yourself lmao.

Competitive sets stolen from Smogon =/= Competitive experience or overall strategies.

Oh yeah, I stole my Gyarados, Charizard, Sharpedo, Dragonite, Scizor and Swampert sets from Smogon... Doesn't mean I've made a good team or know how to make them work together.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
The noobs that I am talking about simply copy and paste sets from the analyses without any idea of what they are doing and think they are good just for that. Using 6 sets from Smogon and expecting to suddenly win a lot more does not make you good. I am not arguing that bad players use Smogon sets, nor that you have to use Smogon sets EVERY SINGLE TIME.Rather, I am saying that playing with a good team, built properly (using team synergy and stuff, not just taking 6 OU sets) and using sound strategies makes you a good player.

Dark Side4

Competitive sets stolen from Smogon =/= Competitive experience or overall strategies.

Oh yeah, I stole my Gyarados, Charizard, Sharpedo, Dragonite, Scizor and Swampert sets from Smogon... Doesn't mean I've made a good team or know how to make them work together.

Oh you're under the impression that the strategies set up by these smogon experts are difficult to understand or utilize, and that you need more than just the right pokemon and move sets to use them. Well that's not the case, at all. Once I have the pokemon and the move sets required for these strategies, I can easily use them effectively, no question. Like a said before, it's not a difficult concept to grasp, nor are ANY of the strategies you try to use, and a lot of people know that. Don't be fooled by the idea that smogon experts are the best because they understand battle better, because that's not the case.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
How can you say that you can do that when you very clearly don't even play competitive?

Dark Side4

How can you say that you can do that when you very clearly don't even play competitive?

Because it's not something you need to work too hard at to understand, you learn these strategies once, learn the "checks and counters" and how to best them, and you utilize them whenever possible. Let's not make it more complicated than it has to be. Yeah I can just copy 6 OU's from smogon, but then I can also just learn the strategies on how to use them just as easily. I don't need years of experience to learn how to play Pokemon lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.