• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Where's the originality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
-Again, because people find winning during competitive fun.
-I like Garchomp, both competitively and aesthetically.
-Why do people have a problem with others having a different philosophy to battling than their own?

And I quote: How many actually LIKE Garchomp.

I never said no one likes him, I basically meant most people who use Garchomp purely use him to win.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
So experience and knowledge on the metagame count for nothing, right?

"Hey, I know how to play Pokemon TCG! I know in theory how to counter these cards and I have a good deck! I'm just as good as pros like Ross Cawthorn, no?"

*facepalm*

Stop making judgments on competitive battling when you have no experience in it.

I never said no one likes him, I basically meant most people who use Garchomp purely use him to win.

What is wrong with using Garchomp to win if he works? Don't say "lol, he's ugly" because that is entirely subjective.

Last edited:

jstinftw!

hey trainer
If that's all people find fun in the game, then why not just have a team of six darkrais that abuse dark void. Id say that's one of the easiest ways to win, but people get mad at dark void abusers and ban them from competitive play. I find it funny how you "experienced" players can boast your amazing strategies with your OU teams, but teams that are even more effective, like such a darkrai team, is looked on as "cheap." If its only the winning that you find fun, then why aren't you out hunting for the best timid darkrais out there?

Out of curiosity, what are you actually arguing? I understand that you are upset that people don't play for fun and base everything on winning, and I am too, but now you're sort of personally attacking the posters.

So many people are, as you call them, "Smogon Slaves" and arguing and attacking them isn't going to change that. Honestly, all it does is fuel them to think you are actually stupid. By arguing, you help them.

Just calm down. Leave the attacks for your Pokemon. If you want to prove them wrong, settle it with a battle. I put this really long post above that I guess was ignored, but that's ok. I'd suggest reading it cos I think it'll help you understand but if your intent isn't to understand, isn't to find middle ground, then never mind. But attacking people who don't agree with you isn't going to help them understand. Again, it only adds fuel to the fire.

Just a suggestion.

Dark Side4

So experience and knowledge on the metagame count for nothing, right?

"Hey, I know how to play Pokemon TCG! I know in theory how to counter these cards and I have a good deck! I'm just as good as pros like Ross Cawthorn, no?"

*facepalm*

Stop making judgments on competitive battling when you have no experience in it.

Ok let me break it down for you REAL EASY, since clearly you are either a young child who doesn't understand basic logic, or your just an idiot. Pokemon is made for children, and even the most complicated and most difficult strategy is still VERY simple to understand. And yeah I have no idea who Ross Cawthorn because I don't study other people, especially those who play the pokemon card game lol. But yeah, if you know how to counter these cards and you have a good deck, similar to having a good team in competitive battle, then you too can be just as good as Ross the pro lol. You just gotta beleeeeeeeeeeeive! lmao.

And @ NACHOE, that post didn't really seem like an attack, I was just arguing that if people ONLY care about winning, then why don't they just abuse darkrais? And how does that post "fuel People to make them think I'm stupid"? I don't think it does that, unless your the kind of person that gets mad because I'm ripping on smogon. If that's the case then there's not much I can do to control that, that's your problem.

Last edited:

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
Ok let me break it down for you REAL EASY, since clearly you are either a young child who doesn't understand basic logic, or your just an idiot. Pokemon is made for children, and even the most complicated and most difficult strategy is still VERY simple to understand. And yeah I have no idea who Ross Cawthorn because I don't study other people, especially those who play the pokemon card game lol. But yeah, if you know how to counter these cards and you have a good deck, similar to having a good team in competitive battle, then you too can be just as good as Ross the pro lol. You just gotta beleeeeeeeeeeeive! lmao.

-Insulting someone isn't the best way to go about winning arguments.

-
Smogon's Philosophy

It is often stated that Pokémon is not a "serious" game, but rather a child's game, meant to be played with a certain mildness that does not hold a place for the serious, and sometimes "cold", manner with which many of the users of Smogon hold themselves to. This is not entirely incorrect—indeed, it should be recognized that the casual fan is one of the largest buyers of Pokémon and the reason for its phenomenal success. However, the other side of its success is that it *can* be taken seriously, a testament to the incredible depth of the stat system, the myriad modes and teambuilding options, and the well-calculated balance that Game Freak has intended to bring to the game.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
But if you use move sets not on smogon you can always seriously mess with people's heads if you know what your doing, or it can completely back fire, I've experienced both of those many times, but you can also play nu or uu where I feel like theirs more options

Dark Side4

-Insulting someone isn't the best way to go about winning arguments.

-

A quote from Smogon, woooooow, how very fitting. And I' not saying it can't be taken seriously, but that "depth" smogon talks about isn't as deep and complicated that you think it to be, but since smogon says it, it must be true, am I right?

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Out of curiosity, what are you actually arguing? I understand that you are upset that people don't play for fun and base everything on winning, and I am too, but now you're sort of personally attacking the posters.

So many people are, as you call them, "Smogon Slaves" and arguing and attacking them isn't going to change that. Honestly, all it does is fuel them to think you are actually stupid. By arguing, you help them.

Just calm down. Leave the attacks for your Pokemon. If you want to prove them wrong, settle it with a battle. I put this really long post above that I guess was ignored, but that's ok. I'd suggest reading it cos I think it'll help you understand but if your intent isn't to understand, isn't to find middle ground, then never mind. But attacking people who don't agree with you isn't going to help them understand. Again, it only adds fuel to the fire.

Just a suggestion.

I'm sorry, but no matter how many times you argue against him, I agree full-heartedly with Dark Side.

TerraWolf

Banned
In the past I've only used Garchomp on that list in BW OU. Only up until he was banned. The only time I've used Salamence was in ADV OU

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Too bad this is no longer a debate and has escalated into a flame war. At the time, it seemed like a wholesome thing to discuss.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Too bad this is no longer a debate and has escalated into a flame war. At the time, it seemed like a wholesome thing to discuss.

Thank the Smogonites for that.

irock245

She wants it
You don't understand darkside. While the methodology behind what the set is supposed to do is very simple, the steps to actually achieving it is pretty complex. Have you ever looked at game mechanics? Lemme show you an example.

gliscor with 252hp/184def/72 speed
poison heal and toxic orb
impish
swords dance
ice fang
earthquake
taunt

the set is simple. Take hits, set up, and take down opposibng pokemon. But the method to getting there(the ev's) is made so he can do the most out of what he is given. While you are correct about the sets being simple, there is stil lcomplex stuff about making these sets.

Oh and for the record, smogon does a sh*tton of tests and stuff to make sure it is accurate. If they say something, you bet your @55 it's correct and you better listen.

Dark Side4

You don't understand darkside. While the methodology behind what the set is supposed to do is very simple, the steps to actually achieving it is pretty complex. Have you ever looked at game mechanics? Lemme show you an example.

gliscor with 252hp/184def/72 speed
poison heal and toxic orb
impish
swords dance
ice fang
earthquake
taunt

the set is simple. Take hits, set up, and take down opposibng pokemon. But the method to getting there(the ev's) is made so he can do the most out of what he is given. While you are correct about the sets being simple, there is stil lcomplex stuff about making these sets.

Oh and for the record, smogon does a sh*tton of tests and stuff to make sure it is accurate. If they say something, you bet your @55 it's correct and you better listen.

You know man I took you seriously until you're last sentence, where you lost any and all credibility what so ever. And no the eve's for the glister aren't complex lmao, I'm not just talking about "take hits, set up, and take down opposing pokemon" lmao, I AM talking about the eve's and the strategies and the checks and balances required with glister, I think you're just a little behind in this conversation.

Back to the last sentence btw. Who cares how many tests they have done? There is no definitive answer as to how to play it best. Just because they have done "tests" doesn't mean they're right, lmao. That doesn't mean they know best and that I HAVE to listen to them. That's an extremely ignorant statement, and you clearly are one of those smogon slaves that I mentioned earlier.

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
\
And @ NACHOE, that post didn't really seem like an attack, I was just arguing that if people ONLY care about winning, then why don't they just abuse darkrais?

beacuse there's no sport in it. It's as simple as that. Take as Darkrai out into a forest, and astart beating up on the bug and flyting types. Do you win a lot? Sure, but is it fun? Can you care about something that is so boring and repetitive? How do you think the Burmy like it? It's the same way in the real world. There's winnign with a nuke, and there's winning with soemthing you thought out.

Pokemon is not made for kids, either. Is the cartoon? Probably, it's there to sell the toys that are. But Video Gaming is not a children only thing, it's in every age bracket. Nintendo knows that, they aren't stupid, so their going to put out a game that matures with the player. The child plays with his favorites, usually the legendaries. And okay, so the story mode may well be geared back for them As he or she grows up, then they start understanding the mechanics. Darkrai gets parked for a starter, that they now understand how to use. They start meeting others their age. That's the maturation. It's why people from 8 to what, 50, 60? Are still playing Pokemon.

And no, not ever sttrategy is as simple as a child. Pokemon is a lot like Chess. You have six pieces, that have to move in concert to eliminate the opponents six pieces. Each can only go in certain moves. Some are sacrificable, othters are a real powerhouse. And sometimes, the smallest pieces can make the biggest moves. How do you do that? That's the puzzle.

-Someone who watches the competiive side, but doesn'ttake part.

Last edited:

jstinftw!

hey trainer
And @ NACHOE, that post didn't really seem like an attack, I was just arguing that if people ONLY care about winning, then why don't they just abuse darkrais? And how does that post "fuel People to make them think I'm stupid"? I don't think it does that, unless your the kind of person that gets mad because I'm ripping on smogon. If that's the case then there's not much I can do to control that, that's your problem.
No no, I'm just saying that a lot of people will take your lack of knowledge (you're just outdated, it's easily fixed by upgrading to Gen V) as a sure sign that you're not as knowledgeable. I'm not insulting you, again, I agree with the OP. But the way you're arguing about the whole use of Smogon and such isn't helping. Instead of actual facts, a lot of what you say is like, things you personally see/feel. And those aren't the best basis of an argument.

If a lawyer says, "I think he did it," they're not going to take it. They want real facts besides "He was there" or "He looks like a bad guy" or "I want him to be the one."

I'm sorry, but no matter how many times you argue against him, I agree full-heartedly with Dark Side.
Did you just, choose not to read this?

In theory, I side with Dark Side. I'm not fond of the lack of originality. But the way he's going about it is another thing. Instead of listening, trying to understand their arguments and actually having a debate, what's going on is a flame war, where two people aren't listening and just trying to shove the other opinion down the other's throat. Two people = Dark Side and his followers v. Anyone who doesn't agree completely. Which isn't very good.

I completely agree with this. The lack of originality in the metagame is a really saddening thing, and being able to coherently discuss that and bring intelligent remarks to the table would have been a really nice topic to discuss.

But instead, we have a flame war.

Thank the Smogonites for that.
No, its both parties. I agree that some of the people who use Smogon follow them a little too religiously. And even more of them started to get really prissy in their own answers. That's just how it goes with competitive players. Like in football, the players generally tend to be huge jerks.

But it's also Dark Side and anyone who joined him for attacking personally the people who play Smogon-wise. Didn't need to attack them. This side of the problem started to get really prissy as well, and started insulting whoever they were talking to. Instead of taking in facts, or trying to understand the other side, they just shoved their own feelings down everyone else's throats.

It's not the Smogonites, it's everyone who decided to get butt-hurt when the other said something they didn't like.

Nachoe, you weren't ignored, you were kinda insightful, I'm just not sure if anyone else was feeling the vibe you were
Thanks. From the nature of the previous posts, I sadly have to agree with you. No one wants a discussion; they want a rant session where they can just get mad at the other party.

Dark Side4

beacuse there's no sport in it. It's as simple as that. Take as Darkrai out into a forest, and astart beating up on the bug and flyting types. Do you win a lot? Sure, but is it fun? Can you care about something that is so boring and repetitive? How do you think the Burmy like it? It's the same way in the real world. There's winnign with a nuke, and there's winning with soemthing you thought out.

Pokemon is not made for kids, either. Is the cartoon? Probably, it's there to sell the toys that are. But Video Gaming is not a children only thing, it's in every age bracket. Nintendo knows that, they aren't stupid, so their going to put out a game that matures with the player. The child plays with his favorites, usually the legendaries. And okay, so the story mode may well be geared back for them As he or she grows up, then they start understanding the mechanics. Darkrai gets parked for a starter, that they now understand how to use. They start meeting others their age. That's the maturation. It's why people from 8 to what, 50, 60? Are still playing Pokemon.

And no, not ever sttrategy is as simple as a child. Pokemon is a lot like Chess. You have six pieces, that have to move in concert to eliminate the opponents six pieces. Each can only go in certain moves. Some are sacrificable, othters are a real powerhouse. And sometimes, the smallest pieces can make the biggest moves. How do you do that? That's the puzzle.

-Someone who watches the competiive side, but doesn'ttake part.

Ummm, I guess the burmy don't like it? Don't really know why you brought burmy into this picture, but what you said about being boring and repetitive, IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M ARGUEING. I'm against those people that use those boring and repetitive teams, and the ones that just follow smogon like a religion. I'm asking that if people are only focused on using these teams that are boring and repetitive and that people are only focused on winning, then why not use the best possible? A team of darkrais? And you just answered that question, because it's BORING AND REPETITVE. Now I'm asking that same question on these teams full of OU's that everyone uses, there's no diversity or originality what so ever. You really aren;t arguing against me, you're arguing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.