• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Which abilities are not useful for certain Pokémon?

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Which abilities are not useful for certain Pokémon?

Now keep in mind that I'm not referring to terrible abilities like truant, slow start and defeatist. I'm referring to abilities that are good, but don't help certain Pokémon that much.

Well the ability I'm going with is swift swim for Armaldo.

There are two major reasons why this ability doesn't help Armaldo.

1. If the speed is doubled in rain, it becomes base 90. Which unfortunately doesn't outspeed most Pokémon with great speed. It might outspeed some, but not those who have over 90 base speed.
  2. Why would you give the opponent a chance to take full advantage of the weather? If rain is up, water-types moves which already are super effective against it will become even more strong against it.

So what other abilities can you guys think of that are good, but aren't helpful for some Pokémon who have access to them?

Last edited:

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
Limber on Stunfisk comes to mind, its already Ground AND Electric! It can't be paralyzed in normal circumstances anyway.

Also, Skill Link on (Mega) Herecross, it doesn't really have access to many, if at all any multi-hit moves...

DedicatedFan

Serperior with contrary. I mean all it really has is Leaf storm and its move set really isn't all that great.
Defiant for Arceops pretty much ruins it when its hp is below half. Heck this ability isn't helpful for anything.

Last edited:

AegiSwag

Slow start and truant. Klutz can be useful. Like a golurk with klutz can have a hindering item and then use trick.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Limber on Stunfisk comes to mind, its already Ground AND Electric! It can't be paralyzed in normal circumstances anyway.

Also, Skill Link on (Mega) Herecross, it doesn't really have access to many, if at all any multi-hit moves...

Bullet Seed, Pin Missile, Arm Thrust, and Rock Blast are all it needs.

Also with Soak it can be Paralyzed.

Stall.
Just... Why.

MedMana

Wired, Yet Tired
Levitate on Rotom-F, since it's already immune to ground from gen 5 onward.
Thick Fat on Maril, as well, since it already resists both fire and ice. Besides, who would choose it over freakin' Huge Power?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I'm still trying to figure out what Mold Breaker is doing for Mega Ampharos.

I guess to let Thunderbolt hit Seaking through Lightningrod, and to let Dragon Pulse hit Dragonite through Multiscale? There isn't really that much else.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Well the ability I'm going with is rain dance for Armaldo.

There are two major reasons why this ability doesn't help Armaldo.

1. If the speed is doubled in rain, it becomes base 90. Which unfortunately doesn't outspeed most Pokémon with great speed. It might outspeed some, but not those who have over 90 base speed.

1. You mean Swift Swim, right? Also, Swift Swim doesn't double the base stat, it doubles the actual speed stat. For example, max speed Armaldo hits 207 speed, with rain up it gets boosted to 414 which outspeeds nearly everything (except most choice scarfers), so its not that bad of an ability.

I'm still trying to figure out what Mold Breaker is doing for Mega Ampharos.

I guess to let Thunderbolt hit Seaking through Lightningrod, and to let Dragon Pulse hit Dragonite through Multiscale? There isn't really that much else.

Hitting through Sturdy is sorta cool, I guess lol. But yea, I wish it would of gotten a better ability.

My vote goes to Pyroar.. Rivalry and Unnerve is just way too situational and Moxie really isn't helping it much with that low attack stat.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Carnivine with Levitate, since Ground type moves would not be super effective against it due to it been a Grass type.

Last edited:

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Here is one.

Intimidate for Arbok.

Its defense stat is so low that even with the opponent's lowered attack stat, it can still knock it out in one hit.

Gampi

ガンピ
Cute Charm on Cinccino and Lopunny.

Infatuation is a really trollish status condition, yes. But both Cinccino and Lopunny are so fragile it's just better to use Attract, even then either of them will just die in the next turn. Klutz Lopunny is a great troll 'mon and Skill Link Cinccino is infinitely better.

Tonguetyd

Tough Claws MegaAerodactyl.

Why it doesn't get Head Smash and Brave Bird to abuse with the ability I'll never know.

But wouldn't MegaDactyl be much worse without Tough Claws?

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Insomnia as Delibird's Hidden Ability. What a waste of possible potential! Delibird can get normally Vital Spirit, which is the exact same thing as Insomnia.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Normalize on Skitty and Delcatty. What's the point of having an ability that turns all your moves to the Normal type?

Anticipation on Ferrothorn. It can take most super effective hits relatively well so this ability is rather pointless.

Anger Point on Mankey, Primeape, Sandile, Krokorok and Krookodile. Unless they're carrying a Focus Sash a crit will KO them making this ability useless.

Last edited:

Lost Lore

Diving Deep
Normalize on Skitty and Delcatty. What's the point of having an ability that turns all your moves to the Normal type?

The only merit Normalize has on them, so far as I can recall, is making Thunder Wave a Normal move and thus allowing it to hit Ground-types.

As for not terribly useful abilities, I think I'll say Solar Power on Helioptile/Heliolisk. Yes, they get the Special Attack boost, but they're really not meant to take so much damage, and don't learn any Fire moves anyway.